The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 3.96 and Joystick Problem

Pete

Have just installed FSUIPC 3.96. When I run FS9 (Windows7 - new computer) FSUIPC is not picking up my Logitec Jostick and also my Saitek Throttle Quadrant. At times it has detected them but normally seems to miss them. In this particular instance the log appears to say that Joystick 0 is taking too long to load. My experience with FSUIPC is that it is rock solid and I am beginning to have misgivings about this new computer e.g. I have been unable so far to get it to communicate with and configure my CPFlightMCP. From the log, can you make any observations on my concerns.

Thanks

Bill

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.96 by Pete Dowson *********

Running on Windows Version 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2

Verifying Certificate for "E:\MSGAMES\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\MODULES\FSUIPC.dll" now ...

SUCCESS! Signature verifies okay!

Running inside FS2004(original release)

User Name="William Hobbs"

User Addr="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

FSUIPC Key is provided

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

Module base=61000000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

WeatherOptions(Orig)=40003605[40003605]

InitDelay: 0 seconds

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=15

780 System time = 10/01/2010 13:06:50

780 E:\MSGAMES\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\

811 System time = 10/01/2010 13:06:50, FS2004 time = 12:00:00 (00:00Z)

1420 C:\Users\user\Documents\Flight Simulator Files\Ready Belfast.flt

1435 AIRCRAFT\PMDG737-800\B737-800.air

1467 Aircraft="PMDG 737-800"

5944 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

21185 AIRCRAFT\b737_400\Boeing737-400.air

21201 Aircraft="Boeing 737-400"

23213 C:\Users\user\Documents\Flight Simulator Files\UI generated flight.flt

23541 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded

28034 Traffic File #20 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_000_woa_ryanair_su08"

28252 GoFlight GFP8 detected: 1 device

28252 GoFlight GFT8 detected: 1 device

28252 GoFlight GF46 detected: 1 device

28268 Traffic File #23 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_152_woa_thomas cook airlines uk_su07"

28283 Traffic File #14 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_000_woa_aer lingus_wi08"

28346 Traffic File #16 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_000_woa_easyjet_su09"

28361 Traffic File #25 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_24_woa_aer arann_su07"

28424 Traffic File #17 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_000_woa_first choice airways_su08"

28502 Traffic File #24 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_167_woa_bmibaby_su07"

36177 Joy 0 taking too long to respond (> 15 mSecs). Removed from scan

54242 WeatherOptions set, now 40003605 (timer=0)

58703 System time = 10/01/2010 13:07:48, FS2004 time = 13:06:59 (13:06Z)

58703 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 0 Allocs, 168 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

Have just installed FSUIPC 3.96. When I run FS9 (Windows7 - new computer) FSUIPC is not picking up my Logitec Jostick and also my Saitek Throttle Quadrant. At times it has detected them but normally seems to miss them. In this particular instance the log appears to say that Joystick 0 is taking too long to load.

Drat! This is the result of a safety timeout just added. It is set by default to 15mSecs because so far, under test, all legitimate joystick connections respond within that time, and bad ones (potentially causing FSUIPC's buttons and axes setting screens to hang), do not.

Possibly 15 mSecs isn't generous enough, though any much longer for response from a joystick is going to slow your system down somewhat so can't be good in any case.

Maybe it is because your USB ports are set to conserve power. Can you check? Go into the Windows device manager and find the Power Management tab on each of the USB hubs or devices you can find. Uncheck any option which allows windows to switch off the power.

Let me know, please.

Failing that you can edit the "JoystickTimeout" parameter in your FSUIPC INI file (in the modules folder). It will be set to 15. Try 20, then 25, then 30 and so on till it works okay. Sorry, you'll need to do this before loading up FS for each test. Please let me know about that too.

I have been unable so far to get it to communicate with and configure my CPFlightMCP. From the log, can you make any observations on my concerns.

Sorry. I really have no idea about what CPflight's MCP does. There's nothing about that in the log. Doesn't it need its own driver loaded?

Regards

Pete

Pete,

Went into Device Manager and unchecked all "USB save Power" management boxes I could find (about 6-8). No change.

Then went to .ini file and changed "Joystick timeout" to 20 and all now seems to be good. Have loaded up FS2004 twice and both times Saitek Throttle Quad and Logitec Extreme 3D Pro joystick were recognised and configurable in FSUIPC. So I hope that is it all sorted.

Take care

Bill

Pete,

Went into Device Manager and unchecked all "USB save Power" management boxes I could find (about 6-8). No change.

Then went to .ini file and changed "Joystick timeout" to 20 and all now seems to be good. Have loaded up FS2004 twice and both times Saitek Throttle Quad and Logitec Extreme 3D Pro joystick were recognised and configurable in FSUIPC. So I hope that is it all sorted.

Okay. Thanks. Maybe I shall have to increase the timeout to 20. Can you tell me what version of Windows you are using, please? I know the log showed 5.1 with SP2, which implies WinXP SP2, but I think both Vista and Win7 tell FS9 this in any case as it installs in "compatibility mode".

Regards

Pete

Windows 7 64 bit and not very comfortable with it at the moment. A lot of apparently "security issues". i have FS9 running on a partition (Drive "E") and still see it appearing in Drive "C" Program Files x86 . I know I originally installed FS9 to default drive "C" but then reinstalled it on a partition after advice from Avsim. Almost certain I uninstalled from "C" before this but at my age - not certain!!

Bill

Windows 7 64 bit and not very comfortable with it at the moment. A lot of apparently "security issues".

Hmm. not as bad as Vista, which I hated. I'm using Win7 Ultimate 64 bit -- mainly on Ultimate because I "upgraded" from the Beta and RC versions which I've been using since early 2009. I actually think it's the best version of Windows ever, and that's saying a lot from an old guy who until now thought Win98 to be the best, and then only reluctantly because I preferred DOS! ;-)

I switched off UAC and generally eventually got rid of all the nags. I still sometimes wrestle with the annoying complexities of folder and file security and permissions, but, as you've found, if you steer clear of allowing programs to install into "Program Files" they don't come into it too much.

I'm surprised your Joysticks sometimes take longer than 15 mSecs to respond. I've tried setting the timeout on my system right down to 5 mSecs and get nothing timing out. But I am only using default Microsoft drivers, nothing from the likes of CH or Saitek. I set the default at 15 because that was the lowest which got rid of a hanging problem on a couple of user's systems without causing problems on their real joysticks. I might have to raise it to 20 or 25 and only advise folks to lower it if they do get hangs in the options.

Regards

Pete

Pete

All is not well. After several successful connections once again I am getting no connection with the Logitec Extreme 3D Joystick. As a test I connected the joystick to Fs2004, FSUIPC 3.93 on my old (XP) computer and had absolutely no problems. I really suspect the USB connections on this computer. The first day I had this machine my External HD went "poof" with a blue flash when I tried to connect it via USB and my "computer builders" said it was my EXt HD's fault and charged me £40 for fixing it!

Now we have this joystick problem plus a CPFlight MCP connection problem which the very helpful Paolo at CPFlight has been, thus far, unable to overcome. I am getting another person to check over the computer - hopefully tonight. Will let you know any outcomes.

Bill

Pete

All is not well. After several successful connections once again I am getting no connection with the Logitec Extreme 3D Joystick.

In case it is still just rather slow at responding, you could try extending the JoystickTimeout parameter even further: like 100 for instance. If it can't respond within a tenth of a second something is definitely broken somewhere.

As a test I connected the joystick to Fs2004, FSUIPC 3.93 on my old (XP) computer and had absolutely no problems. I really suspect the USB connections on this computer. The first day I had this machine my External HD went "poof" with a blue flash when I tried to connect it via USB and my "computer builders" said it was my EXt HD's fault and charged me £40 for fixing it!

Ugh. That doesn't sound good at all, I agree.

Now we have this joystick problem plus a CPFlight MCP connection problem which the very helpful Paolo at CPFlight has been, thus far, unable to overcome. I am getting another person to check over the computer - hopefully tonight. Will let you know any outcomes.

Okay. Thanks.

Pete

Pete

Good morning. Had a long discussion by phone with the PC technician and after questioning me closely he felt that my PC was OK. (I know it is remote but my heating also broke down and that had to take priority as you can well imagine here in UK at the moment!!)

However on doing a little further digging I found a couple of files from the CP Flight area:

> "File preferences.txt caricato correttamente"

> "Routine di load terminata"

> "FSUIPC_Open(SIM_ANY, dwResult) = False"

> "FSUIPC_Open(SIM_ANY, dwResult) = False" > > Preferences

> "Option 0",0

> "Option 1",1

> "Tipo Patch",0

> "Enable CPflightData.dll",0

> "Option 4",0

> "Option 5",0

> "Option 6",0

> "Option 7",0

> "Operating Mode",1

> "Flap Detent",9

> "Brightness",10 >

It appears the CPFlight programme is having difficulty finding FSUIPC and is terminating. Paolo suggested a reinstall of FSUIPC. Can you advise, especially the best way to do this in these circumstances.

Thanks

Bill

>

It appears the CPFlight programme is having difficulty finding FSUIPC and is terminating. Paolo suggested a reinstall of FSUIPC. Can you advise, especially the best way to do this in these circumstances.

There is one possibility I can think of. If you are using Vista or Windows 7 and are running FS and the CPFlight driver at different privilege levels then they cannot communicate -- Windows prevents it. If you are running either of them "as administrator" then the other needs also to be, or vice versa neither of them should be.

Another possibility, which doesn't look quite so likely, is that the CPFlight driver needs write access to the FS folders. If FS has been installed in its default place (Program Files), then there would be problems with write access UNLESS the driver was "run as admin", because Vista and Win7 otherwise prevent such access to Program Files.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Another error report with 3.96 which seem to be in relation with this topic. I used all the time FSUIPC in the past and all the time the joystick calibration worked like a rock. Today I installed FSUIPC 3.96 and now I have an error, which I have never seen before:

I tried to recalibrate my SAITEK throttle quadrant for the Wilco A321 as I wanted to test some new axis assignments. This worked in the first run. Then I left the dialog box, checked the result, entered the FSUIPC axis assignment dialog, made some adjustments. Tested these results and suddenly: At the third of fourth time when I entered the axis assignment dialog, I was not more able to rescan the axis of my throttle quadrant. It was just like the device would not have been connected any longer. In the Saitek control panel I could see, that the quadrant was working properly but in FSUIPC I was not able to scan the axis for alignment.

After I had this phenomenon I also could not more assign any other axis, buttons and keys. The dialog boxes appeared but the scan didn't detect any reaction from my devices. The only way to get out of this situation: I had to close the FS 9.1 and restart it. Now all axes are working again properly. Then I repeated the game: And again: First it's working and you can assign axis and suddenly after some configuration work this feature didn't work anymore. Once also my rudder pedals didn't give any input to FSUIPC anymore.

I repeated this several times (including always to shut down my FS 9.1 running on WIN XP with the lastest SP and starting up again). Reloading of all assignments didn't work to get out of this situation.

As I told you: I NEVER had seen this before and I have NEVER seen a better utility for assigning and calibrating my devices. This always worked perfect. I also checked my FSUIPC.ini file, if there got something corrupted - nothing. Btw:I work with profiles.

This evening I will switch back to the previous version and I will see, if this phenomenon disappears.

Rgds

Reinhard

After I had this phenomenon I also could not more assign any other axis, buttons and keys. The dialog boxes appeared but the scan didn't detect any reaction from my devices. The only way to get out of this situation: I had to close the FS 9.1 and restart it. Now all axes are working again properly. Then I repeated the game: And again: First it's working and you can assign axis and suddenly after some configuration work this feature didn't work anymore. Once also my rudder pedals didn't give any input to FSUIPC anymore.

Seems as if the Saitek drivers often take more than 15 mSecs to respond. Didn't you read any of the earlier messages in this thread at all, explaining this new Joystick timeout feature and how to adjust it?

Please, before loading FS, edit the FSUIPC.INI file (in the FS Modules folder), changing the JoystickTimeout parameter. It will currently be 15. Try 20, 25, 30until you have 100% success. I need to determine a reasonable timeout. Up till now, and now with Saitek particularly, there's been no problems with any devices. And on those folks' systems which hang in the Assignment options because of long-delaying drivers, 25 mSecs timeout wasn't tight enough and 15 worked very well.

So, please, do determine what value works for you 100% and let me know. I will change the default, but I don't want to make it too large.

Please do not go back to an earlier version of FSUIPC. There's no point in doing that, it helps no one.

Regards

Pete

Pete,

Of course I will try the adjustments according to the other posts in this thread in advance. I will test this, when I am at home this evening. The switching back is only a solution, if I want to fly reliable again and there is no quick fix. As I had today the situation, that suddenly the rudder wasn't reacting anymore, this stepping back is for me an option to get my flying environment back to a stable state.

Rgds

Reinhard

Pete,

Of course I will try the adjustments according to the other posts in this thread in advance. I will test this, when I am at home this evening. The switching back is only a solution, if I want to fly reliable again and there is no quick fix. As I had today the situation, that suddenly the rudder wasn't reacting anymore

Yes, sorry about that, but it will certainly be due to that JoystickTimeout. This new feature was intended to remove a much more serious problem for some, that of FSUIPC options hanging because of joystick drivers taking longer than the polling interval to respond. After a lot of testing here and on other users systems it looked like 15 mSecs was the best value, but evidently it is too tight, sometimes. The fact that yours started selectively indicates that a little more leeway would do it, so I'm hoping something between 20 and 25 will be okay.

I will also change it so that the timeout only applies in the Axis, Joysticks (Calibration) and Button assignments options, not in normal use within the simulator.

However, I won't upload an update until I know the best timeout value to set, one which will work 100% on good joysticks.

Regards

Pete

Pete

Bill here. I surrender. I will never get this CPFlight MCP working - 6+ hors today and almost square eyes and no brains. Even Paolo is confused now! Fs2004 and all other add ons working a treat. Have just addedFSNav - no probs.Just the MCP won't go.

Cheers

Bill

Pete

Bill here. I surrender. I will never get this CPFlight MCP working - 6+ hors today and almost square eyes and no brains. Even Paolo is confused now! Fs2004 and all other add ons working a treat. Have just addedFSNav - no probs.Just the MCP won't go.l

What other FSUIPC-using add-ons? FSNav doesn't count as one, it doesn't use FSUIPC at all.

Go into FSUIPC's logging page and enable IPC read and write logging. Run the cpFlight driver. See it not connect. Close it. close FS, show me the FSUIPC log file from the Modules folder. If it's too big to paste into a message here email it as an attachment to petedowson@btconnect.com.

BTW you are in the wrong thread! This one is about joystick timeouts!

Regards

Pete

Pete

Sorry about changing the focus of the thread. I did start it re my Logitec Joystick timing out but have that resolved by moving the timeout to 100. Now Saitek Throttle,Logitec Joystick, Ult Terrain,Ground Environment, WOAI packages are all working perfectly. This left me with my CPFlight MCP which I had referred to earlier. I was just letting you know what had happened.

Thank you for trying to help with CPFlightMCP - the problem arises even before FS9 gets involved. It is in the initial setting up of the MCP to the computer where the computer cannot read from the port to which the MCP is attached (via a serial to USB adapter). MCP_CONF is used for this....but

I tried in sheer frustration to also try fs.com.exe ( which connects and aligns the MCP with FS2004 when FS2004 is running). This is where the fsuipc connection = false lines come from I think.

"File preferences.txt caricato correttamente"

> "Routine di load terminata"

> "FSUIPC_Open(SIM_ANY, dwResult) = False" > > Preferences

> "Option 0",0

> "Option 1",1

> "Tipo Patch",0

> "Enable CPflightData.dll",0

> "Option 4",0

> "Option 5",0

> "Option 6",0

> "Option 7",0

> "Operating Mode",1

> "Flap Detent",9

> "Brightness",10

If, having read this, you wish me to run any tests I will gladly do so.

Bill

Pete

Sorry about changing the focus of the thread. I did start it re my Logitec Joystick timing out but have that resolved by moving the timeout to 100. Now Saitek Throttle,Logitec Joystick, Ult Terrain,Ground Environment, WOAI packages are all working perfectly.

But 100 is a tenth of a second! The polling rate is at least 20 times per second. if joysticks took 100 mSecs to respond, nothing would ever happen!

Could you not find a lower value which works 100% please? I really do need that sort of feedback so I can set the default properly. 20, 25, 30?

Thank you for trying to help with CPFlightMCP - the problem arises even before FS9 gets involved. It is in the initial setting up of the MCP to the computer where the computer cannot read from the port to which the MCP is attached (via a serial to USB adapter). If, having read this, you wish me to run any tests I will gladly do so.

Oh, sorry. no. I cannot help at all with hardware connection problems. I don't even have any of the hardware in question.

If you eventually sort that out THEN still get problems connecting to FSUIPC, please do the logging as I suggested and i'll take a look.

Regards

Pete

Hi

I don’t know if this is of any use, but I hit the timeout issue but only in FS9, in FSX I didn’t have a problem with my Saitek yoke + quadrant and the X52 stick (odd arrangement granted), the FS9 issue was resolved by doing as the previous poster has done, I set the timeout to 20 and the issue seems to have been resolved.

Many thanks for your tireless work on such a great utility, it’s appreciated.

Jim Hodkinson

I don’t know if this is of any use, but I hit the timeout issue but only in FS9, in FSX I didn’t have a problem with my Saitek yoke + quadrant and the X52 stick (odd arrangement granted), the FS9 issue was resolved by doing as the previous poster has done, I set the timeout to 20 and the issue seems to have been resolved.

FSUIPC4 uses DirectInput for the axis polling and that part isn't subject to my timeout in any case. Only the button assignments would be affected in FSUIPC4 if there were a timeout problem, as that part still uses the standard Windows interface, not DirectInput.

I think the DirectInput code in DirectX has its own error checking and prevents the sorts of hangs which a bad driver or failing joystick can produce. By adding such a check to my code for the Windows API I am really merely bringing it up to that better standard. Or at least I will have when I've got the timeout correct! ;-)

Thanks for the feedback. Very useful.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

I have to use 50 as timeout because my "CH PRO PEDALS USB" stops working with a smaller value, the "Saitek Pro Flight Yoke" works well with 20, OS is XP 64Bit.

I'm not really happy with this feature, for me there is a chance that if 50 is not small enough, maybe one of my usb-controls stops working in flight. I'm using 9 different USB-Controls so there might be a chance that the USB-Stuff (hardware, driver) has a problem and FSUIPC turns of the temporary faulty device inflight.

Is there a way to turn off this feature completely? Please note that I really think that FSUIPC is one of the most important and best addons for the FS, but I do not like that FSUIPC makes the decision to turn off hardware devices without my confirmation. Today I have lost 2 hours to find out that I have no hardware problems, FSUIPC has turned off the stuff without any notificaion.

Best Regards

Stefan

I have to use 50 as timeout because my "CH PRO PEDALS USB" stops working with a smaller value, the "Saitek Pro Flight Yoke" works well with 20, OS is XP 64Bit.

50? That limits poll rates to 20 fps with nothing else going on! Mad! Is that with the CH control Manager running?

I'm not really happy with this feature, for me there is a chance that if 50 is not small enough, maybe one of my usb-controls stops working in flight.

The timeout check does NOT operate in flight modes! Once you've assigned and calibrated, that's it. The timeout ONLY applies in the options dialogues. In the latest interim updates they don't even apply to the calibrations dialogue.

Is there a way to turn off this feature completely?

Well, I should think by setting a timeout at the max, 5000 (5 seconds), there's an extremely good chance it will never operate. Have you ever had to wait 5 seconds for a joystick or button to operate?

But as I say, i think you are worried about nothing at all. If it cannot operate in flight modes, what's the problem? The whole point of it was to eliminate rogue joystick signals when trying to find good ones, not do anything at all for ones you are actually using!

Today I have lost 2 hours to find out that I have no hardware problems, FSUIPC has turned off the stuff without any notificaion.

Whilst you were assigning? Or calibrating? The code does not operate in flight modes, as I say, only in the options.

50 mSecs is a hell of a long time. I'd really like to know what caused that! Please tell me what you have running.

Pete

Hi Pete,

thank you for the fast response. 40ms is definitely not working, so I have choosen 50ms. Currently I'm not using the CH control Manager, but I can install that if CH has 64-bit drivers. I was thinking that there is a permanent check, because the rudder pedals has disconnected after I have redone the axis assignment and calibration. All axis where fine and shortly after closing the FSUIPC-dialog the rudder was dead again.

My setup:

Intel E6800@GHz, 8GB Ram, NVidia 280GTX, WinXP 64Bit SP2

USB:

1x T.16000M

1x CH PRO PEDALS USB

1x Saitek Pro Flight Yoke

1x GoFlight GF-TQ6 Throttle System

2x GoFlight RP48

2x GoFlight P8

2x GoFight GF-166

1x GoFlight MCP

1x GoFlight LGT

1x TrackIR v4

1x Mouse

1x Keyboard

The system is stable, I have no problems with bluescreens, freezes or temperature. Let me check if there is suitable driver for CH and then I will retest again.

Best Regards

Stefan