The simFlight Network Forums

Custom slopes for FSUIPC joystick input-output

Hi!

Regarding realistic yoke-input for FSX I have two issues:

Using direct Joystick input for FSX, aileron control is very nonlinear (strongly damped around center, "oversteering" around end-position). This seems to be a FSX "issue". I could get that almost straightened out with the FSUIPC input-output "slope". Problem is: I would need a "pure" exponential slope within FSUIPC to perfectly smooth out the FSX nonlinearity. Is there, or will there be a possibility for custom input-output slopes? This would be of GREAT help to get the FSX Cessna('s) to react as close as possible to the real thing.

Furthermore, the achievable roll rates of the FSX Cessna's are more likely to be reached by aerobatic Extra's, than by Cessna's. The more important part in getting the controls more realistic would be to limit the aileron movement within FSX - i.e., assigning the whole yoke/joystick movement to a smaller aileron range. Is there a possibility to do that?

Thanks in advance,

cheers,

Christoph

Using direct Joystick input for FSX, aileron control is very nonlinear (strongly damped around center, "oversteering" around end-position). This seems to be a FSX "issue".

The normal joystick axis response is pretty strange, being time-related, and has been since around FS2000 time I believe. Have you not tried the "STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE=0" change in your FSX.CFG file, as recommended in the Calibration section of the FSUIPC User Guide? That reverts the treatment to the more linear response provided by FS98 and before.

I could get that almost straightened out with the FSUIPC input-output "slope". Problem is: I would need a "pure" exponential slope within FSUIPC to perfectly smooth out the FSX nonlinearity. Is there, or will there be a possibility for custom input-output slopes? This would be of GREAT help to get the FSX Cessna('s) to react as close as possible to the real thing.

No, but you could program your own via a Lua plug-in. Assign the axis to a free FSUIPC offset (the range 66C0-66FF are assigned for users). Have a Lua plug-in, loaded by the ipcReady lua plug-in (so it's always running), which has an event function dealing with changes to that offset. Perform your mapping or computation and send the result as the parameter to the relevant axis control.

Furthermore, the achievable roll rates of the FSX Cessna's are more likely to be reached by aerobatic Extra's, than by Cessna's.

I would have thought that was one of the things adjustable in the Aircraft.CFG file.

The more important part in getting the controls more realistic would be to limit the aileron movement within FSX - i.e., assigning the whole yoke/joystick movement to a smaller aileron range. Is there a possibility to do that?

Certainly easily done via a Lua plug in. The only other way I can think of is to calibrate the axis normally but then apply a multiplier/divisor factor to the FSUIPC axis assignment, to artificially reduce the range so the full calibrated range cannot be reached.

But that seems very unrealistic to me. If the aircraft is designed with ailerons which can achieve certain angles, then you should be able to achieve them. If the FS aircraft is designed incorrectly, adjust it in the CFG file or design your own. There are quite a few add-on aircraft which are supposed to be a lot better than default FSX aircraft in any case. I didn't think any serious user stayed with any of the defaults.

Regards

Pete

plus, can I set the frequency of the auto-repeat of assigned buttons when holding pressed? Especially the elevator trim is VERY, VERY slow.

As documented, see the ButtonRepeat parameter in the Advanced Users guide. It is set to speed up when held long enough. You can adjust the base rate and the delay. But if you want to only change this for trim you might be better programming the Trim differently in the first place.That's actually the very subject of the Offset Increment/Decrement Controls example in the User Guide.

It would likely be quicker for you to use the search facilities in your PDF reader to find these things in the documentation. I have to do this in any case.

Pete

Hi,

I was unhappy with the centering aspects of my CH yoke and used rubber bands connected to the central control post inside the unit fixed to the the units casing with small cable ties. This has given me a totally adjustable feel and a better centre to work with. I appreciate you are talking a software fix to the feel of the control but for yoke users this is a good place to start.

It has been very successful for me anyway.

Regards

David

Hi Pete!

Wow, that was a QUICK reply, thanks. Actually, there is no STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE in my FSX.CFG file. I have, however, disabled all joysticks within FSX. I think, this should render the STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE obsolete?

As to the manual: You are right, I only did the "quick scan" and read it more carefully afterwards - my apologies. B.t.w.: the usage of the mouse wheel as trim is perfect for me :)

Being completely into MATLAB and Fortran programming at work, I tried to avoid programming at home - but the Lua-Plug-in seems to be a very interesting feature - I think I will get into that.

Cheers,

Christoph

Actually, there is no STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE in my FSX.CFG file.

No, you'd have to put it in. It still operates the same.

I have, however, disabled all joysticks within FSX. I think, this should render the STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE obsolete?

If you are only assigning in FSUIPC, yes it would! ;-)

Regards

Pete

• 5 months later...
Using direct Joystick input for FSX, aileron control is very nonlinear (strongly damped around center, "oversteering" around end-position).

Mr. Dowson, I'm told that FSUIPC can fix this, yet I've done the following:

• Disabled all joystick related controls in FSX, then enabled aileron and elevator controls mapped to my joystick in FSUIPC.
    When that didn't fix the issue I was having, I attempted to add "STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE=0" to my FSX.cfg and re-enable controls in FSX. This did not fix the issue.

So, my issue is:

Essentially the aileron controls towards the outer limits of my joystick's aileron range has a very sharp curve. It isn't axis dependent; meaning I can set "Axis Aileron Set" using the "Send to FS as normal Axis" to my joystick's Y axis and still have the same aileron response curve. It's a very big issue for me as well as others and hope there is some way I can fix this with your outstanding software. Rather than creating a new topic and clogging up your forum I thought I'd add a response to this thread as the user who made it originally seems to have the same issue I am.

if you have not then you are wasting your time regardless of whether you have assigned them direct in FSUIPC or through FS itself.

I agree; Unfortunately since I calibrated, it does not change the fact that there is some sort of a curve FSX has seemingly dedicated exclusively to the aileron axis that makes the last 20% or so of your joystick's travel amount to around 60% of the airplane's total aileron travel distance. Unless I've misunderstood what calibration is for (setting up the maximum and minimum range for your joystick along with deadzones) it could not affect this issue.

edit: Your post did stimulate a part of my imagination that inspired me to try changing the joystick's curve to a negative level though, which solved this issue. -15 curve in the FSUI calibration window did in fact, make the travel almost linear.

It's ever so slightly short of linear however, which makes me motivated to ask Mr. Dowson this:

Would you please consider adding an extra +-5 into the slope options in your next version of FSUI? That would undoubtedly solve this issue for me, and others as well as adding another slight amount of customization to the already large amounts of customization already included with FSUI. ALSO, it will allow me to finally get back to happily flying my imaginary airplanes :D

Thanks a bunch to everyone who participated in this thread and especially to Mr. Dowson and user Andydigital, for helping me come even closer to solving this issue!