The simFlight Network Forums

Vintage Aircraft wish list...

Burkhard

Please select up to 3 aircraft  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you had a wish for one vintage plane for version 5.3 ( by definition a plane that no longer is in production and only has very few left flying, if at all ), which one would you like? If another, please post, we can put that into the next versions wish list.

Yes, on the longer hand for sure. Maybe it makes sense to develop the strategy to start with aircraft that still have a few flying today, to build up a treasure of models, and to organize the painting of these for contemporary and historical paint jobs, to slowly increase the number of years one can go back.

Besides the models that I see I will have to make, the point of making the paints is another concern. There is very little material available in good quality to create high resolution textures, so just for the paint jobs needed to get a decent coverage of the last 50 years I would estimate many thousand hours of work.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for making is rather easy for me. Microsoft has released a GMAX source for the stock DC3, I could start from this and apply all the MyTraffic tricks to get it about a factor of 10 faster. So the big advantage is that all textures that you create for this aircraft can be used together with the stock DC3 as full user aircraft, and on this model as AI aircraft. For the above screen shot I borrowed a texture from the flightsim.com, so it still needs to be painted in about 500 paints from 6 decades...

So the big advantage is that all textures that you create for this aircraft can be used together with the stock DC3 as full user aircraft, and on this model as AI aircraft.

Great job! If I understand correctly any paints online and available for download that have been created for the stock DC-3 will be usable with the new AI DC-3?

That would save a tremendous amount of repaint time.

Mike

Since we are discussing the vintage theme, there are many aircraft in MyTraffic that date back 30 or more years and still can need hundreds of paint jobs, just let me list the A300,A310,B707,B720,B727,B732,B741,B742,B743,B74SP,DC8s, DC9s,DC10, Fokkers to name a few only.

Since the material that is available for these old times is far less and worse in quality than what we have today, it looks it is easier to concentrate on one airline and epoche and make all the paints for it.

We are extremely lucky with the DC3. I detected by chance that the textures for the FSX DC3 that I use are mostly identical to the ones of the FS2004 model - for which I already made some textures in 2005 which can be used again now. So there can be around 20 paints of the DC3, including Swiss, Austiran, Air France, Dan Air, Iberia, United, Continental, Branniff, to form a tiny beginning of AI traffic for the late 50s in FSX.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here comes the first vintage model for 5.3a. I'm fully aware of the great support MyTraffic gets in the UK, the big importance of the UK as an important market for software, and the enthusiasm of the British fans for their heritage.

From the models that I am currently in the process of collection of materials, one aircraft dedicated to the British enthusiasts came out as first - to add to the time machine in the sixties to the eighties.

I included the blank texture for your activities - and hope that some lovers of this old lady will provide us here with historic liveries. My promise: As soon as we get 20 paints of this model together, I volunteer to build the next vintage model.

post-148-128689718919_thumb.jpg

ViscountMX.zip