The simFlight Network Forums
Skitch

Convert MS FS flight plans to FSC? (answered)

Hi, I am also interested in any help to this question.

Or is this already discussed elsewhere ??

1. FS X,
2. FSUIPC* / WideFS   -  4.947
3. I use the FSC in a network! Yes and  No

4. FS Commander and Database Manager V9.6 Rev1 Build 3.3.15

5. Which provider and period of the AIRAC Cycle   -   Navigraph
6. download version from our website
7. Operating System  -   Windows 7

regards

Alhard

Hello Alhard,

The answer to your question can be found on our FAQ page on our website.

http://www.fscommander.com/faq.htm

Nevertheless, I do not understand the reason for this possibility.

An FSX flight plan do not includes any valid or real Sid's, Star's Transitions, Airways, Intersection, etc.

Regards,

Volker

Hallo Volker,

vielen Dank für die Antwort. Ich wusste, irgendwann habe ich das mal gelesen.

Wie du vielleicht aus unserer früheren Korrespondenz noch weisst, bin ich ein FSC Benutzer seit vielen Jahren.

Nun wollen einige Freunde aus meiner Flusi Gruppe, die ich moderiere, auch den FSC kaufen. Sie fragten mich, ob sie denn ihre Pläne, die sie mit Mühen im MSFS erstellt haben in den FSC konvertieren können.

Natürlich überwiegen die Vorteile, die Pläne mit FSC neu zu generieren.

Herzliche Grüße

Alhard

Hello Alhard,

The answer to your question can be found on our FAQ page on our website.

http://www.fscommander.com/faq.htm

Nevertheless, I do not understand the reason for this possibility.

An FSX flight plan do not includes any valid or real Sid's, Star's Transitions, Airways, Intersection, etc.

Regards,

Volker

Actually Volker, the reason for this possibility is that you have designed a utility that works with the two major Flight Sims (FSX and Prepar3D). The idea that after all the years you've had this product available and it isn't even able to import a "pln" file is, to be brutally honest, ridiculous. No other way to say it, and the fact that a pln file does not contain valid or real SID's, Star's, Airways, etc is honestly of very little if any concern to a very large portion of the Flight Sim Community. Not everyone flies a 747, Business Jet's or Commuter aircraft by the numbers. . .many of us fly simple flight plans built in "Flight Planner". More to the point, many have been flying FSX or P3D for years now and have amassed a large volume of "pln" files which we could import into FSCommander if that option was available. So, the ability to easily import them into a program like yours would be invaluable. That sir, is the "reason for this possibility".

Hi Ed,

The FlightSim Commander used databases from the real world. (AIRAC Cycle)
That was and is our philosophy and decision for more than 20 years.

How can we now import FSX .pln flight plans whose waypoints such as Intersection, Airways, VOR, NDB etc.

are older than 10 years and no longer exist in the real database?

Regards,

Volker

Hi Ed,

The FlightSim Commander used databases from the real world. (AIRAC Cycle)

That was and is our philosophy and decision for more than 20 years.

How can we now import FSX .pln flight plans whose waypoints such as Intersection, Airways, VOR, NDB etc.

are older than 10 years and no longer exist in the real database?

Regards,

Volker

I really have no idea how you would do that Volker, I am a user, not a programmer. I do know that 2 other Navigational programs are able to without any problems and maybe their database is different. I do realize now that I should have spent more time with the "Demo" version before jumping to purchase. I just assumed that any nav utility made for FSX/P3D would be able to import flight plans from those Sims. My mistake.

"How can we now import FSX .pln flight plans whose waypoints such as Intersection, Airways, VOR, NDB etc.

are older than 10 years and no longer exist in the real database?"

Treat unresolved points as fixes and exclude non-existent airways.

The user can then resolve the differences within FSC or simply be happy with the conversion as presented.

The worst case is the user gets a flight plan with just a departure and destination.

It is true that the result would not be as good as one would expect by creating a new native FSC plan but at least the import could provide a base for further route work

and stem the flood of unhappy customers always asking for the import but always being told that it is impossible.

On this subject, have Sascha and I written a lot of answers.

More than 10 years of historical data in which the most data information and other values are not available

to convert to new data does not make sense for the FlightSim Commander.

The FlightSim Commander used so many mathematical formulas.

These require values which do not exist in the old data.

The programming effort is disproportionate to the results.

No user would be happy and satisfied with the results.

Volker