The simFlight Network Forums
mgbmike

Heads up for users of FSLive traffic. New program out.

I don't use it but know some on this board do.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/fs/

From their website:

New AirNav FS Live Traffic 3 Released

Fly with Real-Time traffic in Europe, US and Worldwide

If you intend to further use MyTraffic X, update to either MyTraffic X 5.2 professional or to MyTraffic 2010, and remove all the aircraft you installed here from simobjects\misc. You will get an immediate benefit from this combination, that some very rare models and paints that are available in MyTraffic X 5.2b, but not in AirNav FSLive Traffic 2, even appear. It may takes days until such a rare event happens, though, depending on where you fly.

Mike

Finally :lol:

If you have MyTraffic 5.2b Porfessional of MT2010, just do not install the aircraft they come with reps. remove them. De facto it is a version of MyTraffic containing the major airliners and airlines with a download of schedules that are caculated new every 90 seconds on their server from the by then actual world wide traffic data they have.

I'm a little confused. I'm using the original version of AirNav's LiveTraffic X and MyTraffic X v5.2b. Does anyone know what version 3 of Live Traffic X offers new, other than worldwide coverage? If I do upgrade, can I continue usng my current version of MyTraffic X with no problems?

Up to now, their version was based on MyTraffic 5.0a, and worked by downloading a special data file that got converted to schedules and compile to a traffic bgl on your computer.

This gives quite some complexity and was difficult to handle. Since Air Nav now has a second independant data source, that also covers Europe and some other metropolitain areas, it would have become even more complex, far beyond the possibilities of their support.

The new version now is based on MyTraffic 5.2b, uses models and paints from use and calls the aircraft with thesame titles they have here. The big difference is that the complexity to merge the different data sources, to keep tracking etc has moved from your computer to their server. They have a program running 24x7 there, that receives all their data, processes them, and creates a new bgl every 90 seconds or so. This gets zipped, and you just download this fresh bgl through their acccess tool.

If you then use the schedules from MyTraffic 5.2b Professional editor that you compile with the box "UT2/FSLive 2 compatible" checked, you will get those airlines that are included with them ( all those that are frequent in the US and Europe ) using their actual schedules, plus the charter/cargo/GA/military/third world traffic form MyTraffic.

By the way, the aircraft they have included are identical to those in MyTraffic Lite 1.0 - that just has a set of schedules based on my sources from last years autumn instead of their fresh by the minute real world data.

So based on your information, there would be advantages to upgrading to their new product, even if I'm only interested in US traffic?

If I do upgrade, what steps do I take with My Traffic X to get it to work with the upgrade?

If you still have a running sunscription, I would continue until that ends and buy the new one then, to be honest.

If you are running MyTraffic 5.2b now in the compatibility mode, you have nothing to do. Just make sure you do not install their aircraft, or you will get a lot of "double entries messages". AFAIK their installer is supposed to ask you, but that I cannot say since I never saw it...

Burkhard, I am interested in AirNav's Live Traffic, running MTX pro latest version, and I am always looking for some added realsim.

However, there are some questions that didn't get answered by their pre-sales support, so maybe you know :-)

Let's say it is 10pm at my computer in Vienna. After a hard day's work, i want to fly out from Vienna to Salzburg, but I prefer to fly in daylight. So I set FSX time to 2 pm in the afternoon. How would FS Live Traffic react? Would they still inject the traffic of 10pm (because it is live)?

Their answer was somehow cryptic and - I suppose - completely wrong:

My question: "I intend to use Live Traffic X 3 with My Traffic X 5.2b pro –

now I wonder what would happen to GA traffic? Will MTX still take care of it? And

what happens when I start a flight that is lets say a week in the past or not

starting at my local time, but 5 hours earlier or later? How will Live Traffic

X handle these situations?"

Their answer:

"

- My Traffic needs to be unistalled first. It looks at the scedehules and trys to match the time.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any further assistance."

Well, I DO hesitate after that answer *g*

Maybe you could clarify?

Best,

Bernhard

I will try... First Question:

Let's say it is 10pm at my computer in Vienna. After a hard day's work, i want to fly out from Vienna to Salzburg, but I prefer to fly in daylight. So I set FSX time to 2 pm in the afternoon. How would FS Live Traffic react? Would they still inject the traffic of 10pm (because it is live)?

If you download the schedules at 10 PM, they will be based on what the data show to be there that minute. Since the information that is updated is rather small, all the information is collected over up to 48 hours. So let us look at a typical flight, SAA A340-200 from FAJS to EGLL. Radar boxes switch on and off, so let us assume for the moment there are 4 Radar Boxes on its way, one in South Africa, one in Cairo, one in Vienna, and one near London. Then the aircaft will tell its liftoff and departure to the first box, then it will be unknown for hours. In the schedules it always will be with its latest information, proceding all over Africa until the info on it is updated over Egypt, later over Vienna, in the end over London.

So, when I assume this aircraft to be over Vienna at 10 pm, and you set your time to 2 PM, you might just be able to watch its departure, and if you follow it for 8 hours it will be over Vienna than. Indeed, since the future only is planned and the presence and near past are known, the highest realism you will get with this product is if you put the clock a bit back, so that the data shot is in the middle of the time you plan to fly, but that is my personal experience.

"- My Traffic needs to be unistalled first. It looks at the schedules and trys to match the time." Why don't they read their own short manual :oops: ?

You do not uninstall or deactivate MyTraffic. You install their product just without their planes, which are a selection of the MyTraffic planes ( all those that show in their data more than 10 times in a month, plus a few ). And you use the MyTraffic Editor. load the database, and run a "Create files and traffic" with the box "UT2/FSLive 2 compatible" checked. This will compile the 5.2b schedules with all those airlines removed that are handled by them. So you will get Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss and Co from them, and those airlines that are not dellivered by them through MyTraffic, all those smaller charter, cargo, commuter, Eastern, Military and GA flights.

Even if you do not use any MyTraffic schedules, or just remove MyTrafficCommercial to only keep militray and GA, you will profit from using MyTraffic planes, since their schedules can call any MyTraffic 5.2b plane, when it is in their data, so those planes that are there less than 10 times a months will show up. This obviously will not be too frequently, but Vienna as example is at the border of their data coverage, so rare visitors from Eastern Europe may well profit from this.

Burkhard, thank you for the time you took for your reply.

I downloaded their 7 days trial version of Flight Tracker for Europe to see how their coverage is - and I must say that I am pretty disappointed. Right now, they show nothing more than 1 arrival and 5 departures (all five marked as departed, although one for NY should only leave in app 2 hours). Neither the destinations nor the times have something to do with reality. For example - within the next 60 minutes, app. 15 flights are scheduled to leave (and shown as boarding on the LOWW website), Live Tracker gives me one flight to Stockholm, and not a single flight to Stockholm is scheduled in reality.

Either I don't understand the program or it is just bogus.

Here's what the website for LOWW shows between 15:00 and 16:00 local time - not even a single match in Live Tracker:

15:00 HG 8336 Innsbruck Abgeschlossen NIKI B30

15:05 BA 701 London Heathrow Boarding British Airways A08

15:05 AB 8405 Nuremberg Boarding Air Berlin B33

15:15 VLG 8711 Barcelona Boarding C57

15:15 HG 8774 Frankfurt Abgeschlossen NIKI B34

15:20 OS 563 Zurich Boarding Austrian Airlines C52

15:30 HG 8388 Munich Verspätet 16:15 NIKI B32

15:30 LH 3593 Hamburg Go to Gate Lufthansa B26

15:40 KE 562 Seoul Korean Air Lines Co. Ltd.

15:45 JA 503 Sarajevo Go to Gate Air Bosna A18

15:45 BD 2711 Innsbruck Go to Gate Austrian Airlines B35

15:50 LH 3605 Stuttgart Go to Gate Lufthansa B30

15:55 AF 1739 Paris-C.D.G Go to Gate Air France C51

I do nothing about the quality of Live Tracker, but as far as I know this only works in the FAA air space. European data are limited to Radar box data, which require a Radar box to be receiving there and the aircraft to carry a special equipment which is on all Airbus and Boeing nowadays - more I cannot say, and not warrant for the quality of the data at a special time and a special point...

Burkhard, I don't blame you for anything :-) - it's just that they aren't very open about this on their website. The good news is that after half an hour or so, the traffic in your reality bubble gets more "real". And combinded with MTX, this is certainly an improvement.

We deal with the limits of elementary logics here :lol: The software needs to predict the future, which is as we all know impossible, unless you have a crystal ball and know how to ride a brush :lol:

So, on the aircraft that are in the air and fly to say to Vienna and report their position, it is easy to tell when they will land. If it has been reported to land and sits on the ground, one can make a likely estimator of what it will do. But if it was in a hangar for hours and didn't send any signal, no way...

If Eurocontrol were as open with their data as the FAA is, one could get more infos and put all this together...

I am ready to update to Live Traffic 3, but AirNav refuses to communicate with me. This has been going on since last year. I am a good customer of theirs, but I even got their billing company Plimus involved and still nothing. I just want to know how to cancel my current version of Live Traffic before upgrading, without being out any money.

Can anyone tell me how you get AirNav to to answer your questions? Did any of you upgrade to version 3 from the current version? This is very frustrating.

Sorry, there I know nothing about their sales system. I only know that they sometimes pay me to license some stuff :lol:

i have been a subscriber of Live Traffic for several months. and UNFORTUNATELY I HAVE NEVER SEEN A SINGLE TRAFFIC even at present. if you email them, the answer is either cryptic or blames it on other bgl files which are not even existing.

The most unfortunate thing is that I can never ask for a refund because they will not give it back.

My questions is - would anyone know how can we teach them a lesson and to practice TRUTH IN ADVERTISING? This is a very expensive product which is just pure lemon from my experience.

In short - FS Live Traffic - HAS NO REAL LIVE TRAFFIC. This is just cheating based on my experience.

this is actually the same solution they gave me. once again, there is no problem with the setup, there are only 3 BGL files on my scenery folder. in fact, when the live traffic bgl file is not renamed to passive, there are many AI aircrafts. but when i renamed it to passive, NO MORE LIVE TRAFFIC.

BUT PLEASE, before any solution, kindly answer ONCE AND FOR ALL, is there LIVE TRAFFIC really? please show me your screenshot. Thanks.

Cleaned up the other posts, let us continue here. This is the support forum for MyTraffic, and has nothing to do with FSLive, so let us keep it proper. From optics there is no way to distinhguish between FSLive Traffic and MyTraffic.

Yes, I know that software is working, it is doing nothing but downloading a bgl file, FSX reads this at statup and displays the aircraft. While I haven't installed it anywhere, I would notice if a problem showed up within 24 to 48 hours, since they would ask me for help.

So let us check the simple steps:

You did not disable "addon scenery" as scenery in your scenery library?

You did not remove simobjects\misc from the FSX.cfg simobjects list?

FSLive downloader does download a file called FSLive.bgl, with a size of 10-40MB depending on time of day, to the folder addon scenery\scenery?

What puzzles me is the following sentensce form your last post. " in fact, when the live traffic bgl file is not renamed to passive, there are many AI aircrafts. but when i renamed it to passive, NO MORE LIVE TRAFFIC.". Which file exactly do you refore to. You are not supposed to rename FSLife.bgl to .bgl.passive unless you want to have no AI traffic.

thanks. let me get back to you once I checked this but off hand, there is no FSLive.bgl. renaming it to passive ensures that all AI traffic are suppressed.

Where will FSLive bgl be saved on the addon scenery, I will check. I it not showing on the scenery.

there is no FSLive.bgl in the folder addon scenery\scenery.

i was informed that live traffic downloads a file trafficAircraft.bgl in the scenery/world/scenery folder. i have that. I have many AI traffic. if i made it passive, no LIVE traffic.

Whoever told you that has no clue what he said.

scenery\world\scenery\trafficAircraft.bgl is the file that contains the stock AI traffic of FSX with its fantasy airlines. If you do not want these airlines, but the real ones, you rename that file to .passicve and they are gone.

FSlive comes with a download tool. This downloads a file and places it to scenery\world\scenery. Depending on the version you have, the name of this file is ANFS2.bgl or ANFS2_europe.bgl respectively ANFS2_america.bgl. Do you have, after running their download tool, a file of this or similar name with an actual data of a few minutes ago? If not, there may be file protection issues that you are not allowed to copy files there.

If it is, then please browse to the folder simobjects\misc - Do you see many folders with names like A320MX there, and are there files in these folders?

i actually downloaded and installed ANFS2 World Edition. Before starting FSX, I always download a lot of files from the FSLive toolbar. Unfortunately, only AI traffic appears.

I will try to check my simobjects\miscfolder and look for A320MX folders when i get home.

thanks again.

I have an elder file from them. What are the names and sizes of the files you download, and where exactly do you place them?