The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jonahbird

Runway numbers

I have recently installed UK2000's Manchester Xtreme. I have run the DB Manager. The runways on the FSCommander map are 24 & 6 whereas they should be 23 & 5. Doesn't the DBManager make this change?

Hi (name please),

It would help if you would provide system information, i.e., Windows version, FS9 or FSX, FSUIPC version, whether your setup runs on one computer or in a network environment., etc. The requirement for such information is requested in one of the 'pinned' message from the authors.

In the context of Windows 7, I believe you have identified what in fact is an issue which remains unknown to probably many users unless visual information displayed by FSC doesn't match with a user's knowledge about an airport such as in this case, runway numbers. I run both FSX and FS9 on Windows 7, 64 while FSC and other utilities, for example Radar Contact, run on a networked PC running Windows XP Home. I have the same issue with the same airport, UK2000's Manchester Extreme, despite the troubling fact that FSX correctly lists the runways (23L/5R and 23L/5L). I have rebuilt FSC's database several times after installing a fresh copy of the airport but FSC continues to list the old or default runway numbers (24/6) along with other runway information taken from Microsoft's default AFCAD which does not necessarily match the information contained in the author's scenery file, for example, runway length.

I'll spare you the details of my many tests but it appears at least on my system that the issue is related to the awkward and frustrating process to be followed to activate scenery files when using Windows 7 (and in this case, that I couldn‘t rely on UK2000‘s auto-installer to do it properly for me — this is not a criticism aimed at UK2000 but rather at Microsoft). Using FSC's 'Airport Information' menu, FSC confirms that the airport information for Manchester is based on file APX47130.bgl. That file is Microsoft's default airport information file (AFCAD) for Manchester EGCC and is located in the following directory: FSX\Scenery\0501\Scenery\APX47130.bgl. In FSC, the title of the file from which airport information displayed is taken from is identified in RED when the ICAO code is entered in the search box of the Airport Information window. Upon checking many of my scenery files, I found that several were not reading the correct file (the file containing the most recent information added to FSX).

I will continue with my tests and when I think I've resolved it, I will share my thoughts with the community by adding a post to this thread. In the meantime, I have two related questions for Volker or Sacha. Because it is impossible to read the file created by FSCFSXCFG (the tool that automates the creation of a copy of FSX’s Scenery configuration file) I have tried copying and renaming the configuration file manually and placing it in FSX's main directory but FSC’s Database Manager refuses to recognize it. According to the User's Manual, I should be able to do this. Is this normal and if so, should the User's Manual be amended? My second question is also related to the FSCFSXCFG tool. Could someone confirm that under Windows 7 the tool makes a copy of FSX's configuration file located in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX. Thank you for this.

I welcome anyone who has any thoughts on the matter to share them with me and other members who might be interested.

Regards,

Jean-Jacques

Could the problem be that FSC can't find the addon scerery as FS adds it as

Local=..\..\..\FSX Scenery\AYPY

Whereas it should be

Local=C:\FSX Scenery\AYPY

or whatever the drive is that FS is installed on

Rog

Hi Jean-Jacques

Thank you for your input, and my apologies for not complying with the forum posting guidelines. I will sign off with my name; it was rude of me not to do so.

I have been thinking about what might be the problem. I use Vista64 on 3 monitors TH2G linked. FSC is on another networked computer and is linked as directed. I only use FSX and FSUIPC4 is the full version and is up-to-date.

I see that FSC bases Manchester on BR2_EGCC.BGL which is clearly not the right file. My guess is that I have to try and direct the DBM to the appropriate UKScenery file.

It is late now, so I will try that tomorrow.

Regards

Frank

Hi Frank,

Regarding FSC's DBase Mgr, the tool can only read the information offered by FSX's scenery configuration file. Based on my review up to now, it is FSX's scenery config file that's at fault, not FSC's DBM. If one can get that sorted out, then I think we'll be on top of it!

Regards, Jean-Jacques

Hi Jean-Jacques

Well, I'm up (04.45 - an earlybird!). Trying a wide global selection, I find that all my airports in FSC are based on BR2 files. Files prefixed in that way are My Traffic files. As you are seeing the stock file for Manchester my guess is that all yours are based on the stock files. Do you have My Traffic, or any other AI addon?

I can't see anything here to suggest that my FSX's scenery cfg file is involved with FSC's selection of files on which it bases its program. What has caused you to conclude that?

Regards

Frank

Hi Jean-Jacques and all others,

This is a whole bunch of issues which we will explain one after the other.

First, you have to know the following: there are (at least) two scenery.cfg when you install FSX. One is under FSX/, the other is located deeply on your C:\ drive. Both are created when you first install FSX; however, when you install an add-on scenery, only the one on your C:\ drive is modified accordingly, while the one under FSX/ remains unchanged. As a consequence, the FSC Database Manager always reads the one on C:\, because otherwise new add-on sceneries would be ignored.

Under a network, however, the C:\ drive of the main computer is inaccesible to any program. Therefore, the tool Jean-Jacques mentions does the following: it takes the scenery.cfg from the C:\ drive, renames it scenerycfg.fsc and copies it to the FSX/ directory. This is to make sure that this file can be accessed from another computer in a network.

Now, let's look at a setup WITHOUT a network (everything on a single computer):

According to the information contained in the scenery.cfg (the one under C:\) the FSC Database Manager reads the appropriate *.bgl files, in principle no matter where they are located. If an add-on *.bgl file is being read, the corresponding original Microsoft *.bgl file will be skipped. If the add-on *.bgl file e.g. for Manchester is being read, the original Microsoft corresponding Manchester *.bgl file will be skipped. There is, however, one specific case in which this procedure does not work, namely if the add-on scenery has been installed under FSX/Scenery together with the original Microsoft files, because as a consequence the Database Manager will find two conflicting *.bgl files under the same directory. Therefore, an add-on scenery should NEVER BE INSTALLED under FSX/Scenery, but rather in ANY other location.

Next, let's look at a setup WITH a network:

In principle, the same applies to a network setup. Crucially, if you install add-on sceneries on drives different from the one on whhere FSX is installed, you must make sure that those drives are also properly mounted. Details about this you find in the Appendix of the written documentation or the help file.

Regards

Sascha & Volker

Hi Sascha & Volker

Many thanks for that information. I am already well versed in the way scenery.cfg files are written and where they are stored, but the rest of what you say is very helpful. May I ask some questions?

1) Does the special tool (scenerycfg.fsc) have to be renewed when new addons are installed?

2) You say >>if the add-on scenery has been installed under FSX/Scenery together with the original Microsoft files, because as a consequence the Database Manager will find two conflicting *.bgl files under the same directory. Therefore, an add-on scenery should NEVER BE INSTALLED under FSX/Scenery, but rather in ANY other location.<<

Does this mean 'in the scenery folder' or in another folder within FSX? Because Addon Scenery, Aerosoft, UK2000 Scenery and MyTraffic are in their individual folders within the FSX folder. Should they be elsewhere? They are not in FSX/Scenery.

Regards

Frank

Hi Frank,

1) Does the special tool (scenerycfg.fsc) have to be renewed when new addons are installed?

YES, because the scenery.cfg in C:\ will change, and the old scenerycfg.fsc retains the status before installation

2)Does this mean 'in the scenery folder' or in another folder within FSX? Because Addon Scenery, Aerosoft, UK2000 Scenery and MyTraffic are in their individual folders within the FSX folder. Should they be elsewhere? They are not in FSX/Scenery.

They can be in any folder inside FSX or outside FSX, but NOT anywhere under FSX/Scenery.

Regards

Sascha

Hi Sascha

Thanks. I've re-run the special tool to update scenerycfg.fsc, but nothing has changed. Could it be that my scenery.cfg is written wrongly?

Frank

Hi Frank,

to investigate your situation I need following information:

Please send following file: FSCDBM_FS10.LOG to my e-mail adress, which you find at the bottom on our homepage.

To make sure that we talk about a current LOG file, please run the DatabaseManager again, before you sent this file to me.

Please be patient, because I'm away from the office for the next 4 days, until next monday.

Regards,

Volker

Hi Volker

Thank you for looking at this. I will send the file as you suggest. There is no panic, I am just intrigued by this problem and would like to know the answer. Our friend in Canada will also be interested.

Regards

Frank

Hi Jean-Jacques

I hope you are still reading this thread. Volker has solved my problem and I suspect it could prove to be the answer for you too.

You are correct in deducing that the scenery.cfg file is at fault. As I don't know what knowledge you have already I will try to give a simple answer, and stand willing to clarify if asked for further detail. Remember, I use Vista64 and run FSC on a separate networked computer, linked by WideFS. This problem is peculiar to network structures.

The active scenery.cfg file entry for any airfield (or batch of airfields as in UK2000's VFR Airfields Vols. 1 & 2 ) must have a last line written in the following format:

Local=UK2000 scenery\UK2000 Belfast Xtreme. I went through the file and altered all the wrong ones. Then ran the special exec file and then the DataBase Manager. Booting into FSX did the rest. And - that's it.

I hope this helps you

All the best

Frank

Hi Frank

Thank you for this information which confirms that the data in my configuration file are correct.

My issue was different and was only resolved yesterday (Monday the 15th). It had to do with the

organization of my mounted drives. With the help of Volker, I discovered that the order of my drives was

incorrect because of the way the operating system reads data, that is in reverse order, Z to A rather than

following the normal alphabetic sequence. As I understand it, FSC's DBase Manager not only reads

FSX's scenery configuration file but also reads all other BGL files it will find including BGL files outside

the drive assigned to FSX if these are contained in a drive placed above the drive assigned to FSX.

This is apparently not caused by FSC's DBase Manager but rather a feature of the operating system, in

my case, Windows 7 (64). Because I had the FS9 drive mounted above the FSX drive, once finished

reading BGL files in FSX, it would continue to read FS9 BGL files which in the end would cause FSC to

display wrong and duplicate information. On Volker's advice, I restructured my mapped drives as follows:

W drive: FSX (directory)

X drive: FS9 (directory)

Y drive: Flight Simulator X files (for FSX flight plans)

Z drive: Flight Simulator files (for FS9 flight plans)

When rebuilding FSC's database for FSX, the arrangement above prevents the reading of BGL files

outside FSX because there is no drive above the W drive containing such files. Based on this logic, it

stands to reason that one would need to disconnect the W drive assigned to FSX to prevent any

access to its BGL files when rebuilding the FS9 database. Not so. Strangely enough, when I rebuilt the

FS9 database, the DBase Manager did not read beyond the X drive assigned to FS9. A careful review

of the textual database file (FSCDBM_FS09) confirmed this fact. Is there a technical difference between

the two versions of the sim which would be responsible for this behaviour, I wouldn't know. If in the future I

get a different behaviour, I will update this post.

My thanks to Volker, Sasha and to you Frank for your input.

Regards,

Jean-Jacques

Hi Jean-Jacques

That is good news. I feel we have both added something helpful for other FS enthusiasts. I never encountered your problem because I no longer have FS9 installed.

Best regards

Frank