The simFlight Network Forums

Newbie With General Questions

bonanzabucks

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to the Flight Simulator world and I'm pretty hooked. Obviously, I know the basics of flying and everything, but I have some questions with AI traffic and airport operations. Let me start off saying that I have the following: FSX Deluxe Edition, My Traffic 2010 and Airport Design Editor.

My questions are as follows:

1. How do you assign runways for AI traffic (like which ones for take-offs and which for landings)? Can you do it with Airport Design Editor? I know AI traffic is dictated by wind direction, but can you do something to overrun that with Airport Design Editor or anything else?

2. Can you have simultaneous operations on intersecting runways? For instance with LGA, I want to assign runway 22 for landings and 31 for take-offs as happens in real life. I know through Airport Design Editor that runway 31 is listed as 6995 feet long, but I changed it to 7001 feet long. But anyways, would there be a way to have simultaneous operations for airports that actually use intersecting runways like ORD, LGA and a few others?

3. Can you change the airport capacity and if so, how? In My Traffic, when you open the Airport Editor option, it lists the capacity. Can that be increased or decreased any way? For instance, if I edited an airport by adding more runways or whatnot, would that affect the capacity in any way? Or is there another way to do it without editing the airport?

4. Can I edit an airport by making it so I would use a partial runway for take-off or landing? An example would be using about 10,000 feet of JFK's 31L/13R runway which actually about 14,000 feet long. If so, how can that be done? And if I did that, could I make it to use "intersecting" operations (eg. Use the 4's or 22's at JFK for landings and the 31's for take-offs or whatever configuration they normally use at ORD) after the editing?

5. What is the "scalar" and if edited, what does it change?

6. Is there a place I can get aircraft/airline files online where I download a package that has most aircraft available instead of downloading them one by one? I know, silly, but doing it individually is time consuming. lol I don't mind paying.

7. How do you add more AI flights to make an airport even busier? Can you add something to exceed the capacity?

Sorry if these questions are silly and thanks in advance for answering them.

1. How do you assign runways for AI traffic (like which ones for take-offs and which for landings)? Can you do it with Airport Design Editor? I know AI traffic is dictated by wind direction, but can you do something to overrun that with Airport Design Editor or anything else?

Very limited. You can close runways with ADE (Airport Design Editor). Best to ask at http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95 for any ADE questions.

2. Can you have simultaneous operations on intersecting runways? For instance with LGA, I want to assign runway 22 for landings and 31 for take-offs as happens in real life. I know through Airport Design Editor that runway 31 is listed as 6995 feet long, but I changed it to 7001 feet long. But anyways, would there be a way to have simultaneous operations for airports that actually use intersecting runways like ORD, LGA and a few others?

Yes. ADE will do this for you. See link above.

3. Can you change the airport capacity and if so, how? In My Traffic, when you open the Airport Editor option, it lists the capacity. Can that be increased or decreased any way? For instance, if I edited an airport by adding more runways or whatnot, would that affect the capacity in any way? Or is there another way to do it without editing the airport?

ADE can be used to increase the number of parking spots. Explained in its manual.

4. Can I edit an airport by making it so I would use a partial runway for take-off or landing? An example would be using about 10,000 feet of JFK's 31L/13R runway which actually about 14,000 feet long. If so, how can that be done? And if I did that, could I make it to use "intersecting" operations (eg. Use the 4's or 22's at JFK for landings and the 31's for take-offs or whatever configuration they normally use at ORD) after the editing?

Early FSX versions allowed short takeoffs, but my understanding is that ACES broke it with the SP2/Acceleration patch. BTW JFK's 31L/13R is close foe a while for construction.

5. What is the "scalar" and if edited, what does it change?
6. Is there a place I can get aircraft/airline files online where I download a package that has most aircraft available instead of downloading them one by one? I know, silly, but doing it individually is time consuming. lol I don't mind paying.

Other than commercial AI programs all that comes to mind is military for full packages, i.e. MAIW http://www.militaryaiworks.com/

7. How do you add more AI flights to make an airport even busier? Can you add something to exceed the capacity?

See #3 above.

As you state you have MyTraffic 2010 any support questions on that product should be directed to the Aerosoft forum.

Mike

Hi, thanks Mike for so many answers.

Concerning question 3: Newer versions of the MyTraffic editor allow to edit the scalar, that is used in the formula to calculate the capacity. Increase it and the editpr allows for more flights. The default value is 0.7, and that is what airports typically can bear, try 0.8 . OK, that answers question 5 too. Unfortunately, something in the toolbox is broken so that when you program a value of 0.8 into the airport the dump airport function gives again back a 0.7.

Question 6 I don't understand. MyTraffic is complete and a simple install.

Question 7 Use the editor to create a new set of schedules.