The simFlight Network Forums

Error on FS9 startup after Fsuipc 3.98 install

Hi,

I am able to install fsuipc 3.98 but when I start FS9 I get the error "Flight simulator was unable to load some aircraft or software. You can contnue using Flight Simulator

but this aircraft or software will be disabled. File: FSUIPC.DLL". I ran registry checker before installing and if I delete fsuipc.dll from modules folder and reinstall version 3.93

it works okay!

install log

Installer for FSUIPC.DLL version 3.98a

Looking in registry for FS9.1 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.1

Parameter"EXE Path"

Not there, so looking in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.1

Parameter"EXE Path"

... NOT found! ...

Looking in registry for FS9 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0

Parameter"EXE Path"

... >>> OK! FOUND FS9! <<< ...

Looking in registry for FS8 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\8.0

Parameter"EXE Path"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\8.0

Parameter"EXE Path"

... NOT found! ...

Looking in registry for FS7 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\7.0

Parameter"path"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\7.0

Parameter"path"

... NOT found! ...

Looking in registry for FS6.1 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\6.1

Parameter"InstallDir"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\6.1

Parameter"InstallDir"

... NOT found! ...

Looking in registry for CFS2 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator\2.0

Parameter"EXE Path"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator\2.0

Parameter"EXE Path"

... NOT found! ...

Looking in registry for CFS1 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator\1.0

Parameter"EXE Path"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator\1.0

Parameter"EXE Path"

... NOT found! ...

===========================================================

INSTALLATION FOR FS9:

EXE Path="D:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\"

Checking if there's already a version of FSUIPC installed in:

D:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Modules\FSUIPC.DLL

... Version 3.930 found.

Okay -- installed FSUIPC into "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Modules\FSUIPC.DLL"

"Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder already exists.

Now installing additional files into the "Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder:

Installed "FSUIPC User Guide.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC for Advanced Users.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC History.pdf" okay

Installed "List of FS2004 controls.pdf" okay

Installed "GlobalSign Root.exe" okay

Installed "FSUIPC Lua Library.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC Lua Plug-Ins.pdf" okay

Installed "Lua License.pdf" okay

Installed "Lua Plugins for VRInsight Devices.pdf" okay

Installed "Example LUA plugins.zip" okay

Installed "SIMSAMURAI+FSUIPC+TUTORIAL.pdf" okay

FSUIPC.DLL installed and signature checked out okay!

Deleted GlobalSign Root fix programno longer relevant

===========================================================

All installer tasks completed okay!

Registration check for FSUIPC was successful! (result code 00)

*************** End of Install Log ***************

Thank you! Carlos Alvarado

FS9, Winxp SP3

I am able to install fsuipc 3.98 but when I start FS9 I get the error "Flight simulator was unable to load some aircraft or software. You can contnue using Flight Simulator

but this aircraft or software will be disabled. File: FSUIPC.DLL". I ran registry checker before installing and if I delete fsuipc.dll from modules folder and reinstall version 3.93

it works okay!

That's very odd. Can you get any more details? Something is evidently conflicting.

Also please try swapping the DLL with the latest increment from the Updates announcement above.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete

I was able to get it working by moving my FS9 install from drive D to drive C. I don't know why this is affecting the FSUIPC install. My frame rates are lower now probably

because I had drive D dedicated to FS9. I will try a fresh install of FS9 to drive D with the latest version of FSUIPC and I will let you know what happens.

Thank you

Carlos Alvarado

Hi Pete

I was able to get it working by moving my FS9 install from drive D to drive C. I don't know why this is affecting the FSUIPC install.

It cannot, at least not directly, but possibly something was getting corrupted on drive D. If you can I would try doing a thorough disk check on it and possible re-format it, just in case.

Regards

Pete

• 2 months later...

Hi Pete,

I just now installed the V3.98 as well and I got the same error as alvarado.

I changed to the prevoius V3.93 and it worked.

So i have the same strange behaviour as alvarado.

What additional infos do you need? What shall I do to solve the problem?

thanks and regards

Alhard

I just now installed the V3.98 as well and I got the same error as alvarado.

I changed to the prevoius V3.93 and it worked.

What is that "same error"? It was never really presented, which was why I asked for more details before. And did you do as I asked before, i.e. try swapping the DLL with the latest increment from the Updates announcement above?

What additional infos do you need?

First of all an accurate description of the problem, please.

Second, you could possibly get a bit more information in the Windows event logging. Right click on "My computer" and select "Event Viewer". See if there's anything relevant to FS or FSUIPC in either the Application of System sections.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I tried to send you a PM announcing my problem report on V398 problem. Did you receive?

I got nothing in my outbox. Do I have to configure having a copy in the outbox?

By the way another simple question on FSUIPX.INI:

How can I insert comment lines ?

regards

Alhard

I tried to send you a PM announcing my problem report on V398 problem. Did you receive?

No. Nothing here. Why a PM? I don't like those much in any case. There should be nothing confidential in your problem report. If you want to erase names and email addresses just do so. If you need to send me any files or confidential information then we'd need to change to email. But I like to keep the threads here coherent and informative, for others following the problem and, hopefully, solution.

By the way another simple question on FSUIPX.INI:

How can I insert comment lines ?

INI files are managed by the Windows private profile API and don't really allow for any commenting. I did make provisions for comments in the Buttons sections, though, as that is perhaps the only place where things might get so complicated as to warrant comments. Please refer to the Advanced User's guide to FSUIPC, the section entitled "FORMAT OF BUTTON DEFINITIONS", the paragraph starting "you can add comments ...".

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete,

Yes I fully understand not to use emails due to have everybody in the loop. But unfortunately, when I make screen shots, I cannot erase some confidential information. After we solved the problem I will publish the solution. Promised.

My problem report (WORD doc) is ready to send.

Thanks for the "comment" solution. I found it in the guide.

Regards

Alhard

My problem report (WORD doc) is ready to send.

Unfortunately none of the information you posted to me differs in any way from what has gone before and therefore provides no new information. If you refer back I was reasonably specific in what I asked you to do, viz:

1. Try swapping the DLL with the latest increment from the Updates announcement above.

2. Get more information in the Windows event logging. Right click on "My computer" and select "Event Viewer". See if there's anything relevant to FS or FSUIPC in either the Application of System sections.

The report from FS itself provides no information of any use whatsoever, and all of the pictures you provided are pictures I can take myself here any time. They show nothing useful or different to anything anyone might show.

Additional useful information would be a list of other Add-Ons installed into FS9 -- possibly one of those is an FSUIPC user which is attempting to do something too early, and the later version is taking longer than the older one before being fully ready to take orders. YOU could also try using a different default aircraft if the one you are starting up with is an add-on which may be using FSUIPC.

Oh, if FSUIPC produces a log in its short run, please show me that too. You can paste it here.

Regards

Pete

Pete, I am so sorry not to be precise enough and I have forgotten to add some needed information. Please forgive me.

Here is my response part 2:

Case 1: FSUIPC is working with V3.93:

Here is the logfile:

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.93 by Pete Dowson *********

Running on Windows Version 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2

Verifying Certificate for "Y:\FS9\MODULES\FSUIPC.DLL" now ...

SUCCESS! Signature verifies okay!

Running inside FS2004 (FS9.1 CONTROLS.DLL, FS9.1 WEATHER.DLL)

User Name="xxxxxx"

User Addr="xxxxxxx"

FSUIPC Key is provided

WideFS Key is provided

Module base=61000000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

WeatherOptions(Orig)=40003605[40003605]

InitDelay: 0 seconds

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=255

593 System time = 16/06/2010 16:53:05

593 \\...\y\FS9\

593 System time = 16/06/2010 16:53:05, FS2004 time = 12:00:00 (00:00Z)

1547 FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.flt

1593 AIRCRAFT\c172\Cessna172SP.air

1593 Aircraft="Cessna Skyhawk 172SP"

51343 \\...\c\Dokumente und Einstellungen\xxx\Eigene Dateien\Flight Simulator-Dateien\F0_EDDN Cessna cold P81.flt

51375 Aircraft="Cessna Skyhawk 172SP Paint2"

51625 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded

52578 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

63078 Traffic File #14 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic030528"

63093 Traffic File #15 = "addon scenery\edde_erfurt_2008_v3.1\scenery\traffic_edde"

121953 System time = 16/06/2010 16:55:06, FS2004 time = 15:05:02 (13:05Z)

121953 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 0 Allocs, 396 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

Case 2: I swapped to V3.98:

Sequence see attachment

NO LOGFILE !! Really !!

Event Viewer: Applikation -- Nothing

System -- see attachment

Then I installed a complete new XP with a new native installed FS9. No Add-Ons, nothing extra!

There I installed afterwards FSUIPC V3.98.

Result ==> NO ERROR !!

That means, if you couldn't help me any more, I have to look for my FS9 Add-Ons which might produce this failure.

My last installation was the DODOSIM Bell Helicopter.

It would help, if you send me the previous version 3.97.

I keep you informed.

Regards

Alhard

post-26245-128689718147_thumb.jpg

post-26245-128689718163_thumb.jpg

post-26245-128689718176_thumb.jpg

NO LOGFILE !! Really !!

In that case FSUIPC never really got started, as creating a Log file is one of the first things it does. It means that FS is going wrong when loading FSUIPC.

Event Viewer: Applikation -- Nothing

System -- see attachment

Is the description of the error there the same as the English from FS? Seems there's no other explanation anywhere?

Then I installed a complete new XP with a new native installed FS9. No Add-Ons, nothing extra!

Result ==> NO ERROR !!

That was rather extreme. Did you not even bother to try the current release, 3.988, first, as I advised? I don't understand why you won't try the things I suggest. :-(

Anyway, your results show there was something corrupted in your original installation.

That means, if you couldn't help me any more, I have to look for my FS9 Add-Ons which might produce this failure.

It is likely to have been some sort of corruption in the FS installation. I'd just install your favourite add-ons, but check after each install. This is good practice in any case -- never install more than one thing at a time without checking in between.

Why do you think that? There was no 3.97 in any case -- the previous main release was 3.96, and there were about 15 incremental releases in between. And in any case, how would it possibly help? What would you learn?

There have been no changes in anything that FS does before it creates a log, not in a long long time. The problem will be more related to an interaction between whatever got corrupted and the memory arrangements internally, which will be different for every single issue of FSUIPC because of its changing sizes and memory structures.

Regards

Pete

Is the description of the error there the same as the English from FS? Seems there's no other explanation anywhere?

The description reads: "Flight simulator was unable to load some aircraft or software. You can contnue using Flight Simulator "

No other explanation anywhere. I will try to use a process tracker to get more information.

Result ==> NO ERROR !!

That was rather extreme. Did you not even bother to try the current release, 3.988, first, as I advised? I don't understand why you won't try the things I suggest. :-(

I do not have any 3.988. My DLL property says my downloaded version is 3.98.0 and your install log says version 3.98a ????

I would try what you suggest, but can't.

It is likely to have been some sort of corruption in the FS installation. I'd just install your favourite add-ons, but check after each install. This is good practice in any case -- never install more than one thing at a time without checking in between.

Unfortunately this way would last many many days. I installed Gigabytes of sceneries, airports, aircrafts. I think I will fly with V3.93 furtheron :(

Why do you think that? There was no 3.97 in any case -- the previous main release was 3.96, and there were about 15 incremental releases in between. And in any case, how would it possibly help? What would you learn?

I could check from what version on you made changes in your DLL and you could think of potential triggers (memory change??) for the faulty behaviour in that release.

regards

Alhard

I do not have any 3.988. My DLL property says my downloaded version is 3.98.0 and your install log says version 3.98a ????

I would try what you suggest, but can't.

You can't? What on Earth is stopping you. Don't you read my messages? I said:

1. Try swapping the DLL with the latest increment from the Updates announcement above.

What is the problem? You can't look in the Announcements in the Forum, the main place I provide everything? Or your system refuses to download it? Or what? I don't understand! :-(

Incidentally, it's up to version 3.989 now! I'm preparing the next (and hopefully last?) major update, 3.99, which won't be much different from 3.989.

Unfortunately this way would last many many days. I installed Gigabytes of sceneries, airports, aircrafts. I think I will fly with V3.93 furtheron

The other way it do adopt a process of elimination, to see what is going on. If you stick to an old version of FSUIPC please never ask for any further support.

Did you retry 3.98 on your original configuration after installing the fresh copy of FS elsewhere? If the problem was due to some file missing or incorrect which is installed in a common area then just installing another FS might have fixed it in any case. Otherwise, you can use your fresh installed copy as a source of replacement files for your old installation -- i.e. perform a sort of merge. There are many ways to isolate and correct the problem, but it might take patience and time. This is the way with any sort of corruption in a large installation I'm afraid.

I could check from what version on you made changes in your DLL and you could think of potential triggers (memory change??) for the faulty behaviour in that release.

No, that is not true I'm afraid, because FSUIPC is not actually running, and there would be a slight difference in memory arrangements in every single increment -- obviously, as if everything were identical it wouldn't be a different version. I know what I've changed in each version, and none of it applies to anything in FSUIPC before it starts the Log file.

Pete

Try changing whatever you use for the default startup flight (change airport), it may be corrupted, also change to the default C172 as well. If that doesn't help backup then delete the FS9.cfg and let FS create a new one the next time it starts.

I did that already. Thanks for the advise. As I wrote before I started with no FS9.CFG.

But why do you think something is corrupted when everything runs until this Version 3.98 ???

The error messsage comes BEFORE a new FS9.CFG is created !! I think that means, that the FS9.CFG has no impact on this error.

By the way, I am flying with 3 different and individual configured FS9.CFGs. That was a lot of work and experience. Why should I start from the scratch simply due to a new FSUIPC update??

Let us find the real reason together. I have to look for a good process tracker. Like the IP sniffer or "Filemon". Do you know one?

Regards

Alhard

You can't? What on Earth is stopping you. Don't you read my messages? I said:

Sorry Pete, I understand that you are angry about me and you are right: I am confused. But now I am cleared, (I hope :D ).

I always looked on the schiratti.com site and did not realize that there is a page "Updates and other goodies" in this forum. I was prejudiced reading your advice. Sorry. Until this week I never had problems with your product ( I even made presentations about FSUIPC) so I never needed to go to this forum.

Back to our Problem: nothing is solved. I copied your interim version 3.989 in the modules folder --> no positive result -same error message.

As I wrote before, the message comes BEFORE a new FS9.CFG was created.

Do you know a good process tracker ?

The other way it do adopt a process of elimination, to see what is going on. If you stick to an old version of FSUIPC please never ask for any further support.

Yes, now I am going the process of elimination. I never would ask for support for an old version. I was software developer, I know this.

Did you retry 3.98 on your original configuration after installing the fresh copy of FS elsewhere?

Yes, I did it on a new partition with a complete new FS9 installation, and it WORKED !

If the problem was due to some file missing or incorrect which is installed in a common area then just installing another FS might have fixed it in any case. Otherwise, you can use your fresh installed copy as a source of replacement files for your old installation -- i.e. perform a sort of merge. There are many ways to isolate and correct the problem, but it might take patience and time. This is the way with any sort of corruption in a large installation I'm afraid.

I will do that, but do you have any idea what change in your V3.98 DLL could lead to this behaviour. It must be in the first steps FS is running in. You know my system runs with V3.93 and I did not change anything before updating on V3.98. It still runs with V3.93.

No, that is not true I'm afraid, because FSUIPC is not actually running, and there would be a slight difference in memory arrangements in every single increment -- obviously, as if everything were identical it wouldn't be a different version. I know what I've changed in each version, and none of it applies to anything in FSUIPC before it starts the Log file..

That is really strange. But now we have isolated a small time slot of the involved processes.

I need a process tracker utility.

Pete, thank you for your extraordinary patience with me and apologise that I sometimes have problems in understanding the English language.

WE WILL FIND THE BUG!

regards

Alhard

I don't understand. Are you deleting the FS9.CFG before starting FS9?

Do you know a good process tracker ?

The tools I use come from http://www.sysinternals.com.

Did you retry 3.98 on your original configuration after installing the fresh copy of FS elsewhere?

Yes, I did it on a new partition with a complete new FS9 installation, and it WORKED !

No, I said did you try it on your original configuration. However, it seems that is now answered by the foregoing, confirming therefore that is wasn't some shared file outside the FS folders.

I will do that, but do you have any idea what change in your V3.98 DLL could lead to this behaviour. It must be in the first steps FS is running in.

As I've said several time, there is really nothing much done before the Log file is opened.

You know my system runs with V3.93 and I did not change anything before updating on V3.98. It still runs with V3.93.

But 3.93 is now nearly a year old, and there have been about 30 updates since then. And any changes in the early part, before the Log is opened, will have been trivial.

I can send you some older interim updates if you really think it would help, but the previous main release, 3.96 is no longer available. Unfortunately the main releases all have the name "FSUIPC.ZIP" so archives overwrite each other. Interim versions posted in this Forum have unique names and I have some in my archives. Send me an email -- petedowson@btconnect.com if you want to try any, but I'm still not sure that it will tell us anything.

[EDIT]

There is one thing you can check, please. Delete or rename the FSUIPC.INI file before starting FS9, with 3.989 installed. After it is rejected by FS, see if there is an INI file produced. If so, show it to me please. It might tell me how far it got.

[LATER EDIT]

Another thing that occurs to me is that, if it is getting clobbered so early it is unlikely to be the fault of any add-on which isn't part of what gets loaded very early on, like FSUIPC. For that to happen it must either be whatever aircraft you have loading initially (and I think that was a default FS aircraft, wasn't it, so would be okay), or, much more likely, another DLL installed in your FS Modules folder.

So, could you compare the DLL's listed in your new "virgin" FS installation with those in your original installation, and tell me what ones are extra, apart from FSUIPC.DLL.

Thanks.

BTW I am away on holiday from Thursday this week until July 5th.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete, I FOUND THE EVIL-DOER !!! It was FSConnect.dll by Russel Dirks.

Now shortly back to the last anwers:

I don't understand. Are you deleting the FS9.CFG before starting FS9?

Yes, I deleted the CFG before.

There is one thing you can check, please. Delete or rename the FSUIPC.INI file before starting FS9, with 3.989 installed. After it is rejected by FS, see if there is an INI file produced. If so, show it to me please. It might tell me how far it got.

There was no new INI file created.

[LATER EDIT]

Another thing that occurs to me is that, if it is getting clobbered so early it is unlikely to be the fault of any add-on which isn't part of what gets loaded very early on, like FSUIPC. For that to happen it must either be whatever aircraft you have loading initially (and I think that was a default FS aircraft, wasn't it, so would be okay), or, much more likely, another DLL installed in your FS Modules folder.

So, could you compare the DLL's listed in your new "virgin" FS installation with those in your original installation, and tell me what ones are extra, apart from FSUIPC.DLL.

THIS WAS THE MOST IMPORTANT ADVISE !!

I compared and I had 14 additional DLLs. I deleted all and moved it back one by one with intermediate test of FS.

"FSConnect.dll" was then identified. I don't know what addon installed this DLL. I will find later.

Now many thanks and enjoy you holidays.

best regards

Alhard

PS: I hope the originator of this thread "alvarado" is now solving his problem also. Good luck!

Hi Pete, I FOUND THE EVIL-DOER !!! It was FSConnect.dll by Russel Dirks.

Glad you found it!

I've just downloaded FSConnect from AVSIM, Version 3.00 dated 2005. If I get time before I go on holiday I'll see if I can make it cause FSUIPC problems here -- but it may depend upon what FSConnect is called upon to do, so if you do find out why you have it please do let me know.

If I can find out how it clobbers FSUIPC so early on I might be able to make a work-around before releasing the next FSUIPC3 update. But in might be in July now.

Regards

Pete

... if you do find out why you have it please do let me know.

I've installed FSConnect.dll into my own FS9 installation, and FSUIPC 3.989 still loads fine. So it isn't simply the installation of FSConnect which creates the problem (assuming you are also use version 3.00 for FSConnect.dll?).

So it seems I will know what it is being used for, on your system, and work out some way to re-create the same conditions here.

Regards

Pete

I've installed FSConnect.dll into my own FS9 installation, and FSUIPC 3.989 still loads fine. So it isn't simply the installation of FSConnect which creates the problem (assuming you are also use version 3.00 for FSConnect.dll?).

So it seems I will know what it is being used for, on your system, and work out some way to re-create the same conditions here.

Yes, it is V 3.0 of FSConnect. Will you recreate the conditions before your holidays? I would prefer to help you after your holidays, cause I am busy tomorrow and on Wednesday. In the meantime i will make some tests using procmon and filemon.

BTW: have you heard anything from "alvarado" ?

regards

Alhard

Yes, it is V 3.0 of FSConnect. Will you recreate the conditions before your holidays?

Not likely because I don't know what they are and don't have much time.

I would prefer to help you after your holidays, cause I am busy tomorrow and on Wednesday. In the meantime i will make some tests using procmon and filemon.

Okay. But the main thing is what FSConnect is there for.

BTW: have you heard anything from "alvarado" ?

No. Often when folks solve things they don't report back, unfortunately/

Regards

Pete