The simFlight Network Forums

eliminating deadzones in fsuipc4

Hello Pete

The center of my yoke aleron and alevator have a big deadzone.

If i give up or down the yoke have to move about 1 cm before i get a responce .

The same for going to the richt or the left.

Is it possible to reduce the 1cm of non responce to almost nothing.

I want direct reponce when i move my yoke.

Maybe its not possible or am i doing sommething wrong in my settings of FSUIPC4????

Thanks Ed

The center of my yoke aleron and alevator have a big deadzone.

On their own, or after you have done something in FS or FSUIPC?

If i give up or down the yoke have to move about 1 cm before i get a responce .

1 cm? That sounds quite reasonable. You should have a centre dead zone which doesn't cause you to change course just because you knocked the yoke a little!

I want direct reponce when i move my yoke.

Like a fighter jet, you mean? Hair trigger? You are a very young flier I assume? ;-)

Have you actually calibrated this yoke anywhere? Is it assigned in FS? If so, check the sensitivity and null zone sliders in FS. The sensitivity should be maximum (full right) and the null zone minimum (full left). If you then calibrate in FSUIPC you can choose as small or as big a centre zone as you like. Just follow the steps enumerated in the User Guide. OR just don't calibrate in FSUIPC, as I think the default FS behaviour (which I hate) may possibly be more up your street? ;-)

Note that, if you do calibrate in FSUIPC, as well as setting no measurable central zone at all (so you cannot take your hands off and expect level flight), you can also exaggerate the effect using the steeper "slopes" option instead of the "flattening" ones (via the "slopes" button).

Maybe its not possible or am i doing sommething wrong in my settings of FSUIPC4????

You are using FSUIPC? In that case I assume you must have set the "dead zones" deliberately? Or you are assigning in FS and have forgotten to set its sliders correctly?

If you would like to explain what you are doing, maybe things will become clearer. Why don't you simply start from the beginning. Cancel all of your FSUIPC settings (eg delete the INI file before loading FS). Then get things right in FS first. Then, if you still want to use FSUIPC, do it the way YOU prefer it. no dead zones -- easy, just don't set any. Vicious response? Easy -- set a near vertical slope!

All your choices are there, but I don't know what ones you've made already.

Regard

Pete

Hello Pete

In FS i calibrated the yoke sensitinity max and null zone to a minnimum.

Then i disabeled the stick in FS.

Is this ok or must it being enabeled?

I hate fs commands also that is why i bought FSUIPC4

Everithing is working super fine the only thing a am not happy with is the responce of the yoke.

I started then FSUIPC4 and first assigned the axis and then callibrated them.

I will read the hole manuel again maybe i overlooked sommething.

Im not such a young PC pilot at all :D :D :D but i know what you mean.

I fly sims sinds the beginning of MS FS.

But this is the first time i bought a yoke :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks Ed

In FS i calibrated the yoke sensitinity max and null zone to a minnimum.

Then i disabeled the stick in FS.

Those sliders won't have any affect at all if you disable the stick in FS. they are only relevant to FS's reading of axes, not FSUIPC's.

Everithing is working super fine the only thing a am not happy with is the responce of the yoke.

You can adjust the response curve in FSUIPC. The facility is called "slopes". Once you've calibrated properly, just adjust it to suit your style.

You do really need a "dead zone" at the centre, the hands-off position, because, at least with all the yokes and sticks i know of, each time you let the spring-loaded axes re-centre themselves, they stop in a slightly different place. You should always calibrate so that there's a region in the centre which, with hands off, the aileron and elevator readouts (the "OUT" value in FSUIPC) are zero.

If you want a rapid response either side of that zone, then use a linear slope or a steeper one -- but most folks find the slopes with the flatter centre give better control -- less over-controlling for normal gentle manouvering and straight flying. Only fighters and stunt planes tend to have over-rapid response to small stick or yoke movements, and even then that response would be built into the aircraft flight characteristics in the aircraft modelling, not in the yoke or stick.

But experiment. You can't do any harm.

Regards

Pete