The simFlight Network Forums

ASE DWC and FSUIPC wind smoothing

Hi Pete / All,

Been using FSUIPC (registered) for a while now and had a question. When using ASE, I normally disable DWC within ASE and have FSUIPC wind smoothing turned on. With this config I noticed that the departing, enroute winds and arriving wx is different from what ASE suggests. Turning DWC on in ASE seems to do the trick but only to create the dreaded S-Turns on my PMDG747 and MD11 during the flight. Can you please suggest the best practice for using ASE, PMDG and FSUIPC during a flight without any issues.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Sumit

Been using FSUIPC (registered) for a while now and had a question. When using ASE, I normally disable DWC within ASE and have FSUIPC wind smoothing turned on. With this config I noticed that the departing, enroute winds and arriving wx is different from what ASE suggests.

Strange. rarely find that, though it is possible -- it results from an interpolation bug in FS. It should be okay at the airports themselves however.

Turning DWC on in ASE seems to do the trick ...

DWC uses global weather. Basically it overrides the local weather station facilities in FS and makes the weather the same all over the world. This stops the interpolation bug because all the values are the same, so interpolation does nothing. It really puts the weather control back to the only method which could be used in FS2000 and FS2002 days.

The problem then is that you have to use ASE's own ATIS reports -- FS's and other programs weather read-outs for weather stations will only give the same weather as that at the aircraft's position, because that's all their is. Things like weather radar become rather useless too.

... but only to create the dreaded S-Turns on my PMDG747 and MD11 during the flight.

Sorry, I don't know what they are a result of. I would have thought having the same stable weather everywhere would make it easy for such delicate aircraft to fly correctly.

Can you please suggest the best practice for using ASE, PMDG and FSUIPC during a flight without any issues.

I use pretty much default settings in ASE, and smoothing in FSUIPC, without particular problems. I've recently installed the ASE SP1 update but not been able to fly since, but maybe that's better? The ActiveSky folks are really the experts on FS weather control and you should try following their advice generally.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for your response Pete. ActiveSky's support is not the best in the world to be honest.

Can I please request you to post screenies of how you've setup your ASE and FSUIPC.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Can I please request you to post screenies of how you've setup your ASE and FSUIPC.

It just occurred to me: I fly FSX exclusively. When you say ASE and FSUIPC do you mean FSUIPC4, or are you using ASE with FS9? If so Ithere's no point in me showing you anything because I don't have FS9 on the system I fly, only on me development test PC (along with FS2002 and FS2000).

If you do mean FSX, then the settings are pretty much default I think, but I'll try to remember when my system is back up. The cockpit is in pieces at present whilst a PFC engineer is make changes (new overhead with indicators and gauges! ;-) ) and assorted repairs.

The only annoying thing I notice on occasion is silly fluctuations in the barometric pressure when descending, or on early approach. That was mostly with ASX though. So far not noticed it so much with ASE and I'm hoping the SP! update will have eradicated it entirely. I haven't noticed the wild fluctuations (180 degree swings) in wind directions recently, but those are certainly a typical symptom of the bug in FSX which even my FSUIPC4 hacks can't entirely eradicate as they did in FS9.

Can you ask me again towards the end of this week when I should be back up with a working cockpit?

Regards

Pete

"ActiveSky's support is not the best in the world to be honest."

Where have you posted about your issue?

Please don't think I visit other forums to increase my knowledge of FS and their workings, and so when I read this type of stuff, it makes me a bit mad.

Thanks Pete. I'll certainly remind you closer to next weekend.

I've been flying use ASE and need to have DWC turned off cuz it causes S Turns and wind shifts. The way I see it is as if FSUIPC cannot control the winds when DWC is on. When turned off, FSUIPC handles the wind beautifuly and you don't see those shifts.

I'd love to see what settings you run in ASE and FSUIPC to ensure I'm not doing anything weird. I fly FSX by the way.

Cheers

"ActiveSky's support is not the best in the world to be honest."

Where have you posted about your issue?

Please don't think I visit other forums to increase my knowledge of FS and their workings, and so when I read this type of stuff, it makes me a bit mad.

Hi Jim,

Good to see you here. I've posted multiple times in HiFi's forums under the same username but haven't been provided any solutions to the problems I have with ASE. I like ASE but can't seem to figure out a few things and haven't got enough help at your forums, sir.

Sorry, if you've been offended but I'm just a customer trying to get my product to work as it's meant to. I'm sure you would appreciate that.

Regards,

Sumit

Jim,

Following is the thread at HiFi's forums with detailed explanation of the issues I have with ASE:

http://www2.hifisim.com/node/1232

There was the other issue about 9weeks ago with the S Turns and HiFi suggested to purchase FSUIPC, which I did and am happy with. I've also posted in the Avsim forums when I originally had the S turns.

Sorry Pete, didn't mean to use your web space to rant but had to respond.

Thanks

Hope your cockpit is coming along well.

The repairs are done, motorised trim working well, and the overhead is installed. But lots of work to do still ...

Any chance you could post your ASE & FSUIPC settings for us mate?

The relevant FSUIPC setting are just these, in the [General] section. Most are default values in any case I think. I don't have FSUIPC wind smoothing on these days, I find ASE okay without needing it in addition. Maybe that's the main difference?

UpperWindGusts=No
WindTurbulence=No
MaxSurfaceWind=0
WindLimitLevel=200
WindDiscardLevel=400
WindAjustAltitude=No
WindAjustAltitudeBy=2000
ClearWeatherDynamics=No
OwnWeatherChanges=No
WeatherReadFactor=2
WindSmoothing=No
WindSmoothness=1
WindSmoothAirborneOnly=Yes
SuppressWindVariance=No
SuppressWindTurbulence=No
SuppressCloudTurbulence=No
SuppressAllGusts=No
TurbulenceRate=1.0,5.0
TurbulenceDivisor=20,20,40,40
VisibilityOptions=No
WeatherRewriteSeconds=1
CustomWeatherModify=No
SmoothBySimTime=No

I don't know where to find the ASE options -- but here's a pic of my Wind settings. Again, nothing astonishing I'm sure.

ASE_Winds.bmp

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for taking the time to post the config. For some reason, I still need to use FSUIPC's wind smoothing when flying with ASE (DWC enabled) as I experience some wind shifts and Sturns in PMDG from time to time. My FSUIPC config is almost similar to yours except the wind smoothing. I find that without DWC is dont get any winds when cruising and not much weather/clouds either. So, for a realistic flight experience I like to have DWC turned ON but only with FSUIPC's wind smoothing.

Once again, thanks for the post mate.

Cheers,

Sumit