The simFlight Network Forums

Range Check error

Hi. Yesterday I had registered my copy of FSUIPC.

I was having problems with the freeware version of Arrestor Cables. In FS2004, when I turn on the program, i get the message " Range check error -- is FS running?". I thought it was non functioning with an unregistered version. Now, with the registered 3.04, everything rules OK in FS2002, but I get the same message in FS2004.

So, I don't know what is a "range check error". Is a memory range or a coordenates range. I have no idea but I see the response of FSUIPC is not the same in FS2002 and FS2004.

Freeware version of arrestor cables is no more attended by his author. The copyright is now of Abacus, that has included this utility in "Flight Deck III". So, there will not be a new version of ArrCab. But I think this is not important for this case.

I want only inform Pete of this case, because I suppose you want FSUIPC functions equally in FS2004 as in FS2002 and older versions.

You are making a great job. Thanks. :D

I was having problems with the freeware version of Arrestor Cables. In FS2004, when I turn on the program, i get the message " Range check error -- is FS running?". I thought it was non functioning with an unregistered version. Now, with the registered 3.04, everything rules OK in FS2002, but I get the same message in FS2004.

So, I don't know what is a "range check error". Is a memory range or a coordenates range. I have no idea but I see the response of FSUIPC is not the same in FS2002 and FS2004.

It may be using a variable which is not yet working properly in FS2004. I am only about half-way through checking them all, and mostly have to respond to requests from developers so that I make work the things they need first. Certainly the author of Arrestor Cables has confirmed that it does work in FS2004, so there must be something different in the earlier, freeware, version.

For me to look at this could you produce a Log file please. In FSUIPC Logging, enable IPC reads and writes, and run the program both in FS2002 and FS2004 and Zip up and send me both Log files -- send to petedowson@btconnect.com. I will try to spot whatever the difference is that it doesn't like.

Regards,

Pete

Thank you for your fast answer. I have generated the two logs and now i'm going to e-mail them to you.

I don't know where is another newer version of Arrestor cables, if the author says it rules ok. My version is 2.4.1.

Thanks for your job

I have received your e-mail about a very easy fix for the author of Arrestor Cables. But I think, as you can read in his webpage http://www.speakeasy.org/~rhogen/arrestorcables.htm , that he is not going to do any more support on the freeware version.

I don´t know if the commercial version from Abacus is OK with FS2004. Someone knows it?

Can I post here the e-mail you have sent me? I don´t know anything about programming, but perhaps anyone who reads this can make a patch for the freeware version.

Thank you for be so fast with your answers. :D

Can I post here the e-mail you have sent me? I don´t know anything about programming, but perhaps anyone who reads this can make a patch for the freeware version.

Yes, you can quote me here. But I don't know if it will be patchable. Maybe -- a section of code doing the check on FS version would need bypassing. However, this may be against the author's wishes, especially if it has now gone to payware, so it may not strictly be legal to do so. You certainly should take care, and not publish it.

Pete

This is the e-mail I've received from you, explaining whay Arrestor cables v2.4.1 (freeware) isn't working in FS2004:

The only reason it isn't working in FS2004 is that it doesn't like the FS2004 version number. FS2002 is indicated by a 6 at offset 3308, whilst FS2004 is indicated by a 7. Evidently the program has some check in it for the version which doesn't expect something as big a '7'. Obviously before FS2004 came out there wouldn't have been a 7.

This would be something very easy for the author to fix, so I think you should write to him. At least I know it isn't a compatibility problem in FSUIPC.

Regards,

Pete

Perhaps the author of Arrestor Cables, or someone else, can repair this. I'll search the e-mail address of the author and I'll send this message too, even when he has said to do no more support on this version.

Thank you, Pete

Well. I have an answer from Richard Hogen, author of Arrestor Cables. He asked me to publish here in this forum:

Dear ArrCab Users,

No one may alter ArrestorCables under any circumstances except me.

Abacus owns the rights to ArrestorCables (version is irrelevant - old versions are still ArrestorCables and no one may distribute any "version" of ArrestorCables except Abacus) until February, 2004. After that I'm not sure what I'll be doing with it. I may decide to sell it, I may decide to release it as freeware.

In any case, it's looking highly likely at this point that there will be a release of Flight Deck III for FS2004 including ArrestorCables.

And remember, ArrestorCables is .dat file driven. The version that comes with Flight Deck III is simply an improved version of the previous version and can be used for any number of aircraft carrier cable catch zones.

In fact the .dat file that comes with the FD3 version includes definitions for the ArrCab (ACcvAll3.zip) carriers. There's also an improved spreadsheet for rapidly generating your own new cable catch zones.

The ACcvAll3.zip carriers (which remain freeware) *do* work in FS2004, but the problematic one in Washington is more problematic now and I'm working on a scenery fix for it.

So the good news is that there *will* be an FS2004-compatible ArrestorCables. The "bad" news, unless you want to support your local developers and obtain a nice package in the process, is that to get it you have to buy it.

Beware of jet blasts, jet intakes, props and rotors,

Rich Hogen

http://www.speakeasy.org/~rhogen/arrestorcables.htm

So, we'll have to wait.