The simFlight Network Forums

XP and FSX folder Mount?

Hello,

New to this, please forgive me.

I have two xp machines (both sp2)

I am having problems mounting the fsx folder.

Both terminals are on the same workgroup

FSwide client and server see each other. ( I have a licensed copy of both fswide and fsuipc4) Thanks Peter.

I have other shares on both computers that I can see (from each other) and can access them. I can also map these shares.

If i try to open or map the fsx folder from my secondary computer, I get a message about permissions.

I checked the shares that do work and they are exactly the same as the ones that don't.

shared by name. Checked permissions. Set to "everyone" with full access.

Is this right?

I created the same user on both terminals (same name and pass) just to see. No go......

Can someone help me here before i loose the rest of my hair?

Thx

See ya

I have two xp machines (both sp2)

I am having problems mounting the fsx folder.

Mounting it? What does that mean, and why would you want to do it?

I have other shares on both computers that I can see (from each other) and can access them. I can also map these shares.

If i try to open or map the fsx folder from my secondary computer, I get a message about permissions.

Neither WideFS nor FSUIPC need folders shared. They don't access folders over the Network.

I checked the shares that do work and they are exactly the same as the ones that don't.

What is it you want to share, and why?

Perhaps you should explain what you are trying to do?

Also, be aware that if you let FSX install into its default location, in windows' "Program Files", then by default all of its folders will be protected against being written to by anything without elevated privileges (like Installers, or programs run "as administrator"). The exception is the Modules folder, as the FSUIPC Installer makes sure that is read/writeable by everyone.

However, this restriction usually doesn't matter, because FSX doesn't keep any changing data in Program Files, only in the My Documents, AppData and ProgramData folders. This is a Windows standard for modern applications.

Regards

Pete

I think i may have posted this to you're forum by mistake.

Thank you Peter for Answering

I remember a while back reading you're comments here about not needing to access shared or mapped network drives.

But I am confused about this statement.

"FLIGHTSIM COMMANDER

VERY IMPORTANT: Please remember that the FLIGHTSIM COMMANDER computer must have access to the proper Flight Simulator drive and directory on the computer where Flight Simu-lator is installed. In other words, your network must be properly set up and the necessary drives and directories must be correctly mounted."

I have fsuipc and fswide working. I get a connection easily even on wireless. Anyway, sorry again about posting this to you instead of the FSC forum.

Any ideas let me know.

Thank for a great program

T C Lane

But I am confused about this statement.

"FLIGHTSIM COMMANDER

VERY IMPORTANT: Please remember that the FLIGHTSIM COMMANDER computer must have access to the proper Flight Simulator drive and directory on the computer where Flight Simu-lator is installed. In other words, your network must be properly set up and the necessary drives and directories must be correctly mounted."

Hmmm. Yes, the use of the word "mounted" there would confuse me too, as it implies mapping the folders concerned to a drive on the client PC. That may well be needed by that program, I don't know, but generally programs are able to access folders on Networked PCs using the standard UNC convention ("\\

While WideFS needs no folder sharing, obviously some application programs, despite using WideFS to access FS internals, also need to access FS files too, hence the folder sharing they specify.

Any ideas let me know.

From time to time I also have had difficulty sharing files across Network connections, especially with the tighter security measures implemented in Vista and Windows 7. I've never really had problems with Windows XP though -- maybe these are down to later updates to XP, like SP3, though I see you are on SP2.

As far as I can see, in XP, you simply need to set the access rights as you appear to have done. i.e. in Explorer, right click on the folder concerned, select "Sharing and Security", then, in the "Network sharing and Security" section, check "Share this computer on the network", give it a share name, and also check "Allow network users to change my files" (if FSC needs to write there too). The firewall also needs to be either off or set to allow the folder sharing, and that will be shown in the section below.

I can't see that anything else is needed on WinXP. It gets much more complicated on Vista and 7 where there are extra layers and permissions which need setting, as well as users to name (like "every one"). However, you said this, earlier

Checked permissions. Set to "everyone" with full access.

which confuses me because, whilst I have to do this on Vista and Win7, I don't see the option in WinXP. Perhaps you are on SP3 really, not SP2? I think things became more complex with SP3, but I don't have that installed any place so I can't tell.

On Vista and Win7 the folder "Properties" includes both a "Sharing" and a "Security" tab. To share effectively you have to allow "Everyone" access in BOTH sections.

I'm afraid that's about as much help as I can offer. If it isn't enough I hope the folks at the FSC forum can assist. Good luck!

I am off on holiday now, not back till 25th.

Regards

Pete