The simFlight Network Forums

????? In flight times in V2.3

Hi Simon,

having absolutely no luck at all in getting your software to work i'm afraid. I know simconnect is working fine as STB connects to FSX but I never get any flight times, it's just like V2.2. :(

I've installed everything according to the quick start and it's all on the same computer. One thing I do notice is that I never get the 'Ultimate traffic 2 is configured for use with super traffic board' message as the manual says I should. I have tried everything several times and still no luck. I am unwilling to reinstall UT2 or FSX as I have just got them perfect so before I discard STB2.3 I thought i'd ask if you have any ideas. Thanks

Kind regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

FSX or UT2 reinstall is not likely to help, so I won't be recommending that yet!

Perhaps STB is having trouble finding UT2? First of all, start STB and the click the Settings button. On the deployment tab, take a look at the right hand side where all the UT2 configuration items are. If there is trouble, it will be described here. Please send a screen shot of the deployment tab and we'll decide where to go next.

Simon

Hi Mark,

Which operating system are you using for FSX, and do you have user access control enabled or have recently changed that setting?

Can you send me the file ut2services.exe.config? You'll find this in the FSX folder, Flight One Software, Ultimate Traffic 2. This is the file we have to modify to have UT2 send data to us, and UAC complicates the matter somewhat.

Simon

Hi Simon,

im using W7 ultimate 64 bit. I use my pcs over a network so file sharing is on, firewall is off and security is low. UAC is certainly off. When i treid to set this up over a network using STB-DS everything went ok according to the instructions until I got to 'b. Click the “Deployment” tab and check the computer name or IP addresses listed in “FSX Computer Name” in UT2 settings group is correct; I couldn't do this as it was greyed out and just said null. My FSX is not in the default location, I chose a different one at setup away from the program files folder, dont know if that makes a difference. I tried to attach my UT2services config but I get errors on the forum saying extionsion is not allowed, the forum then happily crashes, this is the third time i've typed this!! Any how, let me know if you think of anything cos im stumped.

Kind regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

Let's deal with the "easier" option of STB and FSX on the same computer, and when that is working we'll worry about the network. The key thing now is the ut2services.exe.config. I don't why the forum restricts the file types, but you can zip it and place it here. Otherwise my email is available on the "Contact Us" page at www.supertrafficboard.com

Regards

Simon

Hi Mark,

I think there is a remnant of the attempt to get remote STB working, left behind in your UT2 file. It has an IP address which I guess would be your remote computer, but for now we'd like that to be localhost. I've changed the file and attached here, please try it and see what happens. STB (when on the same computer as FSX) will not let you change the IP address as there is never any need to. However it was most likely changed through STB-DS.

Simon

UT2Services.exe.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay Simon, been a little busy!

The file you sent me worked like a charm, however i'm having no luck over the network, still the same ????'s. I noticed when I was trying to configure using stb-ds it would change the utservices config file you sent me, so i tried replacing it again with the one you sent me, but no luck. My laptop (client) is running XP sp2 (not sp3) but the network is fully configured, it is showing in stb as fsx computer 'null' still. Dont suppose you could send me a config that would work with my networked PC's too? No worries if not, I think i've tried everything else.

Kind regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

It should be possible to configure this through STB-DS. In the "STB Computer Name" box, just enter:

1) "localhost", when you are running STB on the FSX computer.

2) The computer name of IP address of the STB computer if it is separate from the FSX computer.

In either case, it is essential to press the Apply Changes button and restart FSX.

Should that not work out, I can tell you want to change manually in the ut2services.exe.config.

Regards

Simon

Hi Mark,

Assuming everything else in the file is correct, locate the following section and change the "localhost" part to either the computer name or IP address of the STB computer. Take care to preserve the format of everything else.

bindingConfiguration="NetTcpBinding_IUT2Data" contract="ExternalSharing.IUT2Data"

name="NetTcpBinding_IUT2Data" />

Simon

Getting similar problems BUT when STB 1st runs I get this 'helpful(not)' message

stberror.jpg

Then I can only see the total number of airports - not individual ones

stbdisplay1.jpg

and this is the result if I select all:

stbdisplay2.jpg

Any ideas what to try next please?

Hi Graham,

Two separate problems here.

1) Traffic scheduling error. If you are only using UT2, you can switch this off. In STB, go to Settings, Flight Data Tab, and uncheck "Use Flight Simulator Scheduling Data".

2) For the ??:??, UT2 is not talking to you. Please make sure you have the updates installed as per http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=268&t=80672 and then work through the quick start guide. If that does not fix the problem, please describe how far you get through the guide before it stops making sense.

Simon

Maybe I spoke too soon. True I have the times now showing, but I'm parked at Blackpool Airport and the only option I have is "_All Airports (24) & Manchester" showing. If I move to say Durham Tees I have ""_All Airports (18) & only Leeming" showing. Moved again to London City and I have only "_All Airports (166) & Gatwick, Heathrow & Stanstead" showing - nothing is shown for London City and yet as I sit and wait an aircraft taxis out and another is on approach.

Is this right? I'd have thought I could check other airports not just the nearest few.

Looking at Heathrow Stanstead and Gatwick departures yet again the all times and most of the destination boxees are ???

If I go to Gatwick - then London Gatwick is shown in the available airports to view and the time and destinations are OK - something clearly screwy here.

Thanks again.

Graham

Hi Graham,

Airports are only listed in the selection control when there are a more than a certain number of flights associated with them. The default is 8, so if an airport has less than 8 it's not in the pull down. You can change the threshold in Settings, Data Interpretation tab. Otherwise you can type in the ICAO code in the airport selection box to see what's happening irrespective of the threshold. Don't forget that UT2 can create a very small reality bubble compared to traditional AI pacakges, so when you are at Birmingham you may not see much if anything at Heathrow, Manchester, etc.

Remember there are two communications channels to STB, one from FSX and another directly from UT2. Are some flights are fully described with scheduling information from UT2 (the way to tell is whether a flight has a scheduled departure/arrival time set instead of ???) ? You should also see a message in the box at bottom right telling you how any AI UT2 is simulating, the first time information is sent to STB by UT2.

If you are receiving data from UT2 and some flights are complete with scheduling time, there are two possible problems that are the way UT2 works:

a) UT2 creates flights in FSX. Then, one simulator minute later, sends data about it to STB. Between the flight being created and STB being updated, you will see ???

b) Sometimes ghost flights are created by UT2 in FSX that are never advised to STB. You can identify these easily, as they are duplicates of flights that are working correctly. Check tail registrations to find the duplicates. Two beta testers found this, myself included, and we were told it was something to do with the sequence of SimConnect events in our environment.

Simon

Thanks again Simon - nothing seems to be straightforward with the integration with UT2 which is rather disappointing. :(

If/when you make any changes and you need more testing help let me know.

Sometimes ghost flights are created by UT2 in FSX that are never advised to STB. You can identify these easily, as they are duplicates of flights that are working correctly. Check tail registrations to find the duplicates. Two beta testers found this, myself included, and we were told it was something to do with the sequence of SimConnect events in our environment.

Simon - I still observe these ghost flights at certain airports, and we're not the only ones as I've seen random posts in various forums discussing these "ghost" flights that never depart and take up parking spots. Lucky for us we have STB, which makes it easy to spot and delete the phantom squatters :)

Regrettably I can't do much more. These issues really need to be raised with Flight1 - STB is just using the infrastructure provided by them.

As regarding testing, I will have something in the Autumn/Fall most likely and would welcome participation.

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Simon,

finally got it working on my client laptop. I added the words PC to the end of the computer name in STB-DS computer name box and in the main program under FSX computer name box (i.e Mark7-PC) and it seems to be working. However, i'm still noticing some problems, if I shut STB down on my client laptop and then restart it later (even seconds later) it won't connect to FSX at all (it just hangs at 'connecting to flight simulator, please wait') the only way I can get it to work again is by shutting down FSX then restarting as per the UT2 quick start guide. Is this normal and related to simconnect?

Kind regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

The Disconnect/Reconnect worked fine for me this evening. The only time I do sometimes get problems occurs when FSX quits or crashes while STB is still connected. Looking at the code, when the "disconnect" button is clicked I call "SimConnect.Dispose()" and after that everything is beyond my control.

My laptop can only run SP1, what client version are you using? You can find out from Settings, Statistics Tab and the "Flight Simulator Client Version".

Simon