The simFlight Network Forums

AI Aircraft with UT2 - vanish

Simon

Using STB with UT2 - following AI aircraft - about 50 miles from the departure airport [ am guessing as I've not measured ! ] - all the AI aircraft just vanish and I find myself back at the departure airport - altho today FSX just crashed completely at that point.

Any ideas please ?

Richard.

Hi Richard,

I'm afraid this is not good news. Follow AI (along with Shadow AI and Chase AI) require STB to take over the user aircraft for a while and reposition it constantly. As you are looking at the AI aircraft, you might not notice that happening so much. In other AI packages that use "traditional" scheduling techniques, this works fine. Unfortunately in UT2 the movement of the user aircraft is interpreted as the user has changed airport (which they haven't) and all traffic is deleted and recreated by the UT2 engine.

If you want this resolved, I'm afraid you'll need to contact Flight 1 and ask them to do so. It's beyond my control. It would be nice if UT2 could better understand what is happening, or just process changes to AI as a result of the user aircraft movement rather than deleting and recreating everything.

Simon

Using STB with UT2 - following AI aircraft

I'm forgetting now, but isn't follow/chase disabled when you use UT2?

Did you mean to say view AI? If you are viewing and the AI moves beyond the reality bubble your view will be deleted and you will be back at your destination. The reality bubble may be defined by the border of a small country so 50 miles is not out of the question.

Edit: Simon sorry for chiming in here. I was at the MTX forum and I decided to change my signature. When I came out of the profile I thought I was back at the MTX forum but instead I would up in the STB forum and only noticed after I added my comment :lol:

Hi Kambiz,

no need for apologies; you raise a very good point. Hopefully the original poster can clarify if we are talking about the "View AI" or the "Follow AI" command. View AI works great for UT2 aircraft, as it does so for all the AI packages. Follow AI does not and should be disabled unless I left it open by mistake somewhere.

Simon

Simon

Thanks for various responses, but am getting even more confused.

This is what happened today:

1.Opened FSX and STB, set at EGKK at 07.20 LT. All OK. After about 2 minutes, either UT2 and/or STB "re-set" and about 50% of the flights

listed with departure times after 07.30 vanished from the STB "departures board".

2. Selected an Easyjet departure to MIlan which was taxiing out via "View AI", and followed it w/o problems, until approx. mid-channel and

passing FL305 for FL330 my PC crashed completely [ again, just like yesterday ].

Is that the way it is meant to work ?

Richard.

Richard,

1) FSX deletes all UT2 traffic and recreates it after a while whenever the FSX menus are accessed for instance. If that is not the problem you are seeing, you will need to send some before and after screen shots, and describe what happened in between in more details.

2) Please describe the crash, exactly what you see.

Simon

An investigation of this issue found the cause to be the target frame rate setting in UT2. This dynamically adjusts the number of aircraft present to ensure a particular target value is met. In Richard's case, UT2 deleted aircraft over a number of cycles in order to achieve the target. You'll find this setting by opening the UT2 user interface (I have a separate icon on my desktop), click "Utilities" and then "In Game Settings". Mine is all the way left, to disable the function.

Simon