The simFlight Network Forums
JonR

Problem Installing - all FSX scenery wipped

Hi

I have not run MyTraffic for a long time. I just installed the original installer, version MTXV50to51a, to FSX // SP2 / Acceleration / winXP, and after the normal install, a dos window started, it ran for ages, with hundreds of FSX scenery files running in some kind of batch program, deleting these files (as far as I could see). Finally this ended. I ran FSX, and it says, "Dem4km.bgl file missing or damaged. Please re-install FS restore or repair. FS will now exit".

Can you please shed some light on this? This version of FSX has been running fine for two + years without any problems, this is the first time anything remotely wrong has happened directly after attempting this install which I re-downloaded from the simmarket website.

Regards

Jonathan

I've just been looking at my FSX scenery database, and I can confirm every single BGL file has been wiped by the Mytraffic installer - all gone. Why would a program risk doing that? I'm really surprised by this - is there some kind of back-up that the mytraffic installer makes so I can at least get back to where I started - I think I will never risk installing mytraffic again - this is a bit of a nightmare, had I known the risk .... I mean everything with a .bgl all add-on scenery, everything has been wiped by the mytraffic installer. Shaking head!

Regards

Jonathan

You have installed an incremental update from MyTraffic 5.0 to 5.1a to your FSX ?

5.1a is a pretty old version, published autumn 2007 removed from market February 2008. Nevertheless this update has been applied many times to MyTraffic 5.0 versions long back then, without ever making this problem. It only deletes scenery files in the MyTraffic folder.

Maybe you applied this incremental update to an FSX version without MyTraffic 5.0 installed? This is not the purpose of an incremental update, and the function in such misuse cannot be warranted.

This said, if this really went wrong due to this misunderstanding, I'm sorry you have to refer to your own backup or make a new fresh installation of FSX - if you have any other addons installed don't try to "repair" FSX. To keep you as happy costumor, I can let you a press copy of the actual version 5.3 full installer, just send me a PM....

I had the original DVD - I installed this update as per our original discussion 1+yrs back to upgrade to the downloadable version to get better update capability, I did it before without problem. Simmarket only keep the old version and that is all I had. Either way, the program certainly deleted all the FSX scenery, this possibility, without really checking what it is actually deleting is a bit of a nightmare for obvious reasons. It obviously must have have either not found the old myTraffic directory or skipped it and proceeded to delete all the bgl files. It must be a program error - this type of thing can't be atributed to user error irrespective of what was installed before or not. I guess I'm on my own with it - what a mess, it going to cost me a lot of time that is for sure unless FSX will do a repair from the original disks, I'm not sure how that can work with acceleration as I never had to do this before.

It won't be the reason, 5.1a is even older than Acceleration, the first version supported for Acceleration was 5.1b which came out a few days after Acceleration.

I think when the old installer runs, no check is made for the path of the mytraffic dir - i.e. the path must contain 'mytraffic' otherwise stop - right now this installer (which is still avialbale via simmarket) will wipe all FSX scenery files if it does not find the path. Obviously things have moved on (I hope), but the original certainly will wipe all your files. Where is the new version to aviod this issue? BTW - this version was avialable when acceleration was around - it is not that old I think. We are only going back 1.5yrs.

5.1b was published February 2008. 5.2 was autumn 2008. And I checked which of my products are at Simmarket, this is not on the list, nor any other obsolete ones.

If I remember right there have been changes also to the update procedures. As I told you you can get an actual version 5.3 as soon as you have FSX up again...

Hi

It is listed in 'My products' and available as a download for sure. I have not been following myTraffic updates actively for various reasons, I just assumed this version was okay to use and install. The 'hole' in the process seems to have been if the path for the original DVD version was not current in the FSX directory, this MyTraffic update proceeds to delete all the default FSX scenery. I think it is a major flaw - but if this flaw does not exist in the new versions then all this is not going to be a problem for anyone else, I'm obviously coming at it from a different and fragmented angle - it just caught me by surprise because I never had such a think happen to me before when installing third party FS software.

J

Yes, looks like the

cd MyTraffic

command in the updater did not work since this wasn't available. I will check the newer updaters if such a hole still exists.

Hi

I have one questions, how do I safely remove the failed install of the program so we are set-up and clean for the next install? Is it a case of just deleting the Mytraffic folder? I do not see any uninstaller. Thank you.

Regards

Jonathan

Yes, delete the MyTraffic folder, everything is in there.

Uninstallers are only good to completely destroy FSX installations, I had hundred of users with problems caused by uninstallers of many products...

FSX Acceleration is 'repairing' itself now, the normal FSX installation does not appear to need repairing (well it does not indicate it), just the acceleration part, one presumes then that Acceleration has all the missing scenery files (fingers crossed). Bit in the unknown area here...

Not sure how I got away with that but I did. I had to install original FSX disk repair first, then re-install acceleration repair. Now it appears to be working again I'll install myTraffic now and see what happens. Hopefully, this is not premature good news.

It's usually Simconnect that gets knackered by using the repair option in FSX, I found the only successful way of fixing that properly was to reinstall the OS as well (after a reformat), fingers crossed you haven't broken it otherwise third party apps that reply on it probably wont work.

I'd rather he (and others reading this) know what can go horribly wrong when using the FSX repair option, it is worse than using the uninstallers which you hate so much :lol:

Weird things start to happen, frame rates become erratic, crashes become ever more frequent and you can spend 10's of wasted hours trying to repair it again only to be back in the same situation again. The only sure fire way of fixing it is to bite the missile (not bullet) and start again from square one.

Really? re-installing the OS? I think I'd buy a new PC before doing that on this machine, lets hope it does not come to that. FSX is always on a seperate physical disk to the main C: drive to increase performance, may be that will save things. I'm still re-installing certain things that will determine if simconnect is broken or not, right now I have no idea.

I profited a lot from an IDE controler which decided to suddenly not know the disks, and a day later knew them again, but the content was so unknown to me...

After the new install frames were up a lot, stuttering gone, etc...

But in this case nothing was broken, just some scenery files needed to be refreshed.

Well mytraffic is still installing - it is certainly a big install. I guess if simconnect is broken then I should find out pretty soon.

Well, its still unpacking.

This is just an off topic question, but if you were on an approach, or perhaps waiting for take-off in a scenario and you did not want to wait any longer for the departing traffic *or* get held up on the approach by arriving traffic, is there a way to remove that traffic - i.e. clear your runway? This would be very useful in training scenarios. The other option is perhaps you use Luton or East Midlands for your touch and go / base training, and you don't want that airport with any AI traffic to mess up your circuit pattern, is it possible to remove all traffic from just that airport, yet keep all the others going at other airports/routes traffic for eyecandy in the sky? I admit, I have not read any user manual yet as I'm a bit snowed under with the reinstall and trying to catch up with other work... so forgive me for silly obvious questions.

The first way is to remove the Ai traffic density sliders so that you are not alone, but it is quiet enough for you.

If this does not help, you can use the traffic toolbox to just blast away the three idiots in front of you. And if this does not help, you can modify the schedules.

In an ideal world, you would need a external user controlled button from the instructor software sending an offset commad to clear the approach / runway in use traffic to make it work in practise. Otherwise you have to stop an entire flight just to do that (and FSX does not like being expanded and min) - perhaps a thought, it would be a typical pro enviroment requirement, I know of several FTD's that would like traffic but don't use it because it is distracting on the approach for students. Also, the facility to inject a runway incursion at a specific time (again controlled externally by an instructor) would be useful to generate a go-around or conflict, but perhaps all of the above are rather specific to pro sector use. We have conflict generation for the ND, but there is never any actual traffic outside because we don't know how to control it - perhaps a different day, different area of development. Just ideas though.

I think as an alternative, what you are saying is, you can simply just remove all traffic from a single airport of your choice - if this is the case then it would resolve the problem I guess.

I could be wrong but doesn't FSUIPC allow the facility to turn traffic on and off with a key or joystick button press? I seem to remember seeing something along those lines when reading through all the off-sets available in FSUIPC.