The simFlight Network Forums

Preparing for a total reinstall, need some help

Good morning,

My name is Seth. I am the on-campus simulator administrator at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott, AZ. One of the simulators I am tasked with maintaining is an Airbus A320 that was designed and built by students here some years ago. It uses 7 computers and 11 monitors to run the simulation. We are upgrading the computer that runs FS2004 next week to a newer, faster machine so that the computer can handle FSX. As such, I need to be prepared to reinstall all the existing software and ensure the simulator is functional before school starts. My question, is what can I do to back up the settings and license keys for FSCommunicator, FSUIPC, and FSWIDE to smooth along the reinstallation process?

Additionally, one of the stations that is attached to the simulator for the purpose of its management just had to be wiped unexpectedly. There is another monitor station that has all the necessary software, but I need to import the settings and license key for FSWide client on the first instructor station so we can use PMInstructor to interface with the A320.

Well, I hope I'm being clear. If not, I'd be happy to answer any questions. Thanks in advance for your help.

Seth

My question, is what can I do to back up the settings and license keys for FSCommunicator, FSUIPC, and FSWIDE to smooth along the reinstallation process?

I've no knowledge at all about FSCommunicator.

Everything to do with FSUIPC (and WideFS, which is what I assume you mean by 'FSWIDE') is contained in the FS Modules folder.

FSUIPC's settings are all contained in the FSUIPC.INI file. You should save that. For FSUIPC4 it would have to be renamed FSUIPC4.INI but everything should be okay with a possible exception for some of the joystick axis assignments if you've made them in FSUIPC's "Axes" tab. FSUIPC3 and 4 use different Windows interfaces for joystick axes.

If you've made any macros or Lua plug-ins (.mcro and .lua files) save those too.

Your license registration details would be no good as FSUIPC4/WideFS7 are new products with new registrations needed. If you want to run FS9 on the new system too, you still need to re-register, but you do so with your existing registration details. You can either get those from your account at SimMarket, or save the FSUIPC.KEY file. It is a text file which you can read and copy/paste from when re-registering.

I need to import the settings and license key for FSWide client on the first instructor station so we can use PMInstructor to interface with the A320.

There are no license keys associated with WideFS clients. If you made any fancy settings in any of your WideClient.INI files you might want to save those, but in general there is nothing needed.

pmInstructor is another matter, but it isn't my product.

Regards

Pete

Ok, thanks for your help! I don't know anything about macros or Luas, but I'll search for those extensions. Unfortunetley, the previous people who held this position didn't leave any continuity, so I'm flying blind and my gauges are out, too :x

I will contact the people that handle the money and see about getting the new versions of FSUIPC and WideFS.

It looks like we use the evaluation version of PMInstructor, so no big deal there.

Any idea where FSCommunicator came from or what it does?

Any idea where FSCommunicator came from or what it does?

Have you not yet heard of "Googling"? I just Googled "FSCommunicator" and the first choice on the resulting list said

FS Communicator is an interface between FSUIPC-based Flightsimulators (MS-Flightsimulator FS2000- FS2004) and multiple hardware-solutions.

plus a lot more. Try the Search entry on your Internet browser.

Regard

Pete

Yes, I saw that website when I googled it, however, the computers at the school won't open that page. I'll just pull it down when I get home.

I just got the instructor station that crashed fully operational. Thanks for your help! Would you care to use pictures of this simulator to advertise your product or anything like that? If so, I can have it arranged.

Would you care to use pictures of this simulator to advertise your product or anything like that? If so, I can have it arranged.

Thanks for the offer, but there's no need for my products. I don't seem to have to advertise to have enough work to do! ;-)

Regards

Pete