The simFlight Network Forums

Display flicker after button press!

Hi Pete and all,

I'm sure this has been covered before, I apologize, but searched on key words without success! Relatively new to FSUIPC and running it with FS2004 at mo'! When I set up buttons, I get a display flicker when pressed - in fact the whole Sim seems slightly less stable under FSUIPC! I'm sure I haven't had this before, even with self-built hardware and earlier versions of FSUIPC. If I enable the FS9 joystick it doesn't occur, with the same hardware. Probably something simple, but spoiling my flying experience until cured!

Thank you for any interest!

I'm sure this has been covered before, I apologize, but searched on key words without success! Relatively new to FSUIPC and running it with FS2004 at mo'! When I set up buttons, I get a display flicker when pressed

Buttons programmed in FSUIPC simply send the controls you assign in EXACTLY the same way as they do when assigned in FS. The only difference FSUIPC offers is a lot more choice of assignments, and the possibility to have multiple actions, macros and plug-in programs on the buttons. It is also more efficient, unless used to send keystrokes instead of FS controls, because of the more direct interfaces used.

FSUIPC has nothing whatsoever to do with displays or any graphics at all, so if you are getting anything odd it is either down to the functions you are programming. or has something to do with the joystick driver providing the button inputs.

in fact the whole Sim seems slightly less stable under FSUIPC!

FSUIPC isn't actually doing anything until asked, so if there's any adverse effects it will be down to applications, gauges or other modules using it.

I'm sure I haven't had this before, even with self-built hardware and earlier versions of FSUIPC. If I enable the FS9 joystick it doesn't occur, with the same hardware. Probably something simple, but spoiling my flying experience until cured!

Basic button scanning and programming really has not changed in FSUIPC since version 1. But FSUIPC3 uses the older Windows joystick API which was used in FS98 and FS2000, instead of DirectInput. That interface is actually simpler and more efficient, but doesn't support quite as many buttons and axes as DirectInput, which is why I changed over when I was forced to re-write FSUIPC for FSX. The only thing I can think of is that the joystick driver you are using is defective in its support for that interface. However, I have never heard of any problem even remotely similar to the one you are describing, so it doesn't make a lot of sense.

If you want to take this further, I do actually need some initial information, like:

1. Version number of FSUIPC. This is ALWAYS needed. If it isn't at least 3.98 then please update first. You should also try 3.989, supplied in the Updates announcement in this Forum.

2. Do you have any AXES on your joystick connections? If so, how are they assigned?

3. When programming buttons in FSUIPC, are you disabling joysticks altogether in FS, or could there be a conflict? This is a common cause of problems -- getting two conflicting actions on the same buttons or axes. You should be aware that FS often re-assigns default actions to both buttons and axes unless its joystick action is disabled completely.

Regards

Pete