The simFlight Network Forums

What am I Doing Wrong Here? Virtual Serial Port

I have followed the instructions precisely in Appendix 3 of the manual. Everything works great until step 7>I opened "Properties" of the VSPE shortcut and added the lines as described in "Target":

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Eterlogic.com\Virtual Serial Ports Emulator\VSPEmulator.exe -minimize-hide_splash C:\ComPair_1.vspe"

It looks like you've missed a space in front of "-hide_splash".

I did place the file on C drive, and the name is correct but attempts to save it always get the Name is invalid and Path incorrect dialogue.

How did you "place it on the C drive" if you can't save it? I don't understand, sorry. Saving and placing are the same thing, aren't they?

It looks like you are using Vista or Win7 64-bit. I suspect Windows stops you writing things to the C:| root driver, unless you run "as administrator" (a right-click option).

Regards

Pete

Argggh! I did it again...I did save the file to the C drive without any problem. It is the Shortcut that will not save. It still says the path is invalid. I added the space before -hide and everything was already set to "Run as Admin". Still won't work.

Yep, it is Win 7 64 bit, UAC is "OFF".

Here it is the shortcut now:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Eterlogic.com\Virtual Serial Ports Emulator\VSPEmulator.exe -minimize -hide_splash C:\ComPair_1.vspe"

The ComPair_1 file is on the C drive.

I put a copy of it on another drive but the result is the same :(

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Eterlogic.com\Virtual Serial Ports Emulator\VSPEmulator.exe -minimize -hide_splash D:\ComPair_1.vspe"

Argggh! I did it again...I did save the file to the C drive without any problem. It is the Shortcut that will not save. It still says the path is invalid. I added the space before -hide and everything was already set to "Run as Admin". Still won't work.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Eterlogic.com\Virtual Serial Ports Emulator\VSPEmulator.exe -minimize -hide_splash D:\ComPair_1.vspe"

You've got problems with your "" characters. The only reason to use those at all is to keep things with spaces in them from being treated separately. The first recognised space indicates the END of the program name and the START of the parameters. You've made the whole thing look like the pathname of the program, so naturally it is not valid.

Put the final " character after the exe. No others are needed. And those are only needed because of the damned spaces in the path name. This is wht I always put things in nice easy short paths, like C:\VSPE.

Pete