The simFlight Network Forums

Vibrating AI

idahosur

Is it normal for AI to vibrate when you are flying next to them? I built a new system and when I fly next to AI they vibrate. It seems that props are worse than jets. All do not do it, but it seems that at least half do. It is only when they are in the air, while on the ground the AI does not do it, even when they are moving along a taxi path.

I have had MTX on two other systems and this is the first time that I recall seeing this.

Is it normal for AI to vibrate when you are flying next to them? I built a new system and when I fly next to AI they vibrate. It seems that props are worse than jets. All do not do it, but it seems that at least half do. It is only when they are in the air, while on the ground the AI does not do it, even when they are moving along a taxi path.

I have had MTX on two other systems and this is the first time that I recall seeing this.

Could you ecplain more in detail. No, most aircraft lie in the air as I lie in bed after working for MyTraffic. Is it a fast movement? Maybe the camera moves against the aircraft? In this case, video synchronization might be something to play with, some knobs in the video driver?

I thought of a way to better describe what I am seeing, I tried to take a screen shot, but it does not show the movement.

If you put your hand in front of your face and move it left to right to left to right and keep doing it, do this at a moderate pace, this is what the AI planes look like if I am flying beside them. They vibrate forward then backward then forward all the while continually moving forward on their flight plan.

When I perform a Create Schedule, Files and Traffic command I copy

MyCommercialRoutes.dat

MyMilRoutes.dat

MyGlobalRoutes.dat

MyTrafficcommerical.bgl

MyTrafficmil.bgl

MyTrafficclosed.bgl

MyTrafficglobal.bgl

to MT_Plans/2010_DX9 and MT_Plans/2010_DX10, would this have anything to do with it?

When you first install MTX 5.3 Pro all of these dat and bgl files are not in these two folders, only some of them are, why are these in these two folders anyway? What would happen if I took them all out?

I thought of a way to better describe what I am seeing, I tried to take a screen shot, but it does not show the movement.

If you put your hand in front of your face and move it left to right to left to right and keep doing it, do this at a moderate pace, this is what the AI planes look like if I am flying beside them. They vibrate forward then backward then forward all the while continually moving forward on their flight plan.

When I perform a Create Schedule, Files and Traffic command I copy

MyCommercialRoutes.dat

MyMilRoutes.dat

MyGlobalRoutes.dat

MyTrafficcommerical.bgl

MyTrafficmil.bgl

MyTrafficclosed.bgl

MyTrafficglobal.bgl

to MT_Plans/2010_DX9 and MT_Plans/2010_DX10, would this have anything to do with it?

When you first install MTX 5.3 Pro all of these dat and bgl files are not in these two folders, only some of them are, why are these in these two folders anyway? What would happen if I took them all out?

All those plans under MT_Plans are not visible to FSX, only those under MyTraffic\scenery, and I doubt they can have anything to do with this. The flight plan only tells FSX when to start the aircraft and where it should go, the handling is a simplified version of the aerodynamics for a user aircraft. What is the frequency of this effect, several per second or several seconds? Is there a plane that shows it very prominent? Does the planetry to correct using the elevators, so that we could describe it as a drunken pilot?

All those plans under MT_Plans are not visible to FSX, only those under MyTraffic\scenery, they are accessed through the communicator only, and I doubt they can have anything to do with this. The flight plan only tells FSX when to start the aircraft and where it should go, the handling is a simplified version of the aerodynamics for a user aircraft. What is the frequency of this effect, several per second or several seconds? Is there a plane that shows it very prominent? Does the planetry to correct using the elevators, so that we could describe it as a drunken pilot?

What is the frequency of this effect, several per second or several seconds?

The frequency of the plane jumping back and forth is several per second.

Is there a plane that shows it very prominent?

All seem to do it the same.

Does the planetry to correct using the elevators, so that we could describe it as a drunken pilot?

No, there the sim does not seem to try any correction. The plane is flying in a straight line and on course. It is like the graphical display of the plane is vibrating forward, backwards, forwared, etc. When you are a .5 miles behind everything looks fine, you can not really notice it until you get close, within .1 miles. It maybe that it does not evern start until you get close.

Tonight I am going to remove MTX out of the scenery library, reactivate the FSX traffic bgl and see if the default FSX traffic does the same thing.

Very strange, I cant say its anything I've ever noticed to be honest, saying that though I don't tend to get that close to other aircraft when I'm at 36000 feet in an MD11. I have chased a few small GA AI around in a helicopter and they definitely didn't stutter for me.

This was not happening on the last two systems that I had MTX on. This system is less than two months old and I just noticed it a couple of days ago. I do not know if it was like this since day one on this new system.

Well it does not seem to be MTX related. I took MTX completely out of the scenery library, verified with STB that I had no traffic. Activated the default FSX traffic bgl and the default FSX AI does the same thing.

I will post this in a couple of FSX forums and see if anyone has ever ran across it. I really would rather not go through the whole uninstall/reinstall routine!

Actually I have learned that it is called the shimmy effect and it is caused by using a frame rate higher than FSX can compute and draw the AI. I locked my FPS to 30 and all is well!

Thanks. If you put the frame rate slider to higher than your hardware can do stable, you force FSX to make some nonsense, it is only surprising how many different nonsense there can be...

So this was a flippant reply to my question then, thanks for listening. :(

It was not a flippant reply Andy!

When I made the reply that is what I thought, after I first noticed it I thought that I had already set it back at 30, tried it and it did not work. Actually what I was told to do was lock it at 29. Last night I tried 29 first and then unlimited, verified the results and then tried it at 30 and did not get the shimmy effect.