The simFlight Network Forums

KeyPress Recognition Probem

I have used key-presses via FSUIPC to interface a Relaity XP GNS530 via FSUIPC that I run on the non-triple head monitors. The system is working quite well.

I have no problem with a system using WinXP and a Matrox TripleHead. But I think the triple-head effectively fools the system into believing there's only one screen, so that probably stops FS creating this "Device Window" which defeats my interception. Or, just possibly, it's a difference between WinXP and Vista/Win7.

Regards

Pete

Sorry, but I'm out of ideas. I can't do anything about it I'm afraid. I guess that device windows, whatever they are, are a different kettle of fish and don't really do 'subclassing'.

I may have found a work-around. If I do sub-class the Device Window, it doesn't receive any messages when you first switch to full screen mode. but if you then switch back to Windowed mode THEN again to full screen mode, it looks like the interception works!

At least that's what it looks like. i need to do a few more tests on that. I've no idea what's going on -- this is just an experimental result. If you think it might be useful to do it this way let me know and I'll build an updated version for you to try.

[LATER]

I've done some more testing, and at least with Vista on my particular system this action is 100% consistent. So I've released it as FSUIPC 4.641, in the Download Links subforum. Please let me know how you get on.

Regards

Pete

I may have found a work-around. If I do sub-class the Device Window, it doesn't receive any messages when you first switch to full screen mode. but if you then switch back to Windowed mode THEN again to full screen mode, it looks like the interception works!

At least that's what it looks like. i need to do a few more tests on that. I've no idea what's going on -- this is just an experimental result. If you think it might be useful to do it this way let me know and I'll build an updated version for you to try.

[LATER]

I've done some more testing, and at least with Vista on my particular system this action is 100% consistent. So I've released it as FSUIPC 4.641, in the Download Links subforum. Please let me know how you get on.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks so much for working on this. I just tested the new .dll file under Windows 7 Ultimate. I can confirm, after limited testing, that once you have done just one switch from full screen to windowed and then back again, FSUIPC does see the keypresses even after I click on the 4th screen. I tried several different sequences of clicking and flying as well as going back and forth from full to windowed and so far, I get 100% keypress recognition regardless of which screens I am clicking on. All I have to remember is to initially do a full to windowed to full switch and I am good to go.

I can also confirm that after doing the windows switch, I don't have to do it again as long as I don't terminate FSX. FSX remembers even if I go back to the main FSX screen and load different flights.

It is also interesting to note that if I start in Windowed mode and then switch to Full Screen that doesn't do the trick . It has to be a switch from full to windowed and back to full. Seems like a small price to pay to get the keypress recognition I am looking for.

Thanks for your work on this.

Stiletto2

I can also confirm that after doing the windows switch, I don't have to do it again as long as I don't terminate FSX. FSX remembers even if I go back to the main FSX screen and load different flights.

It is also interesting to note that if I start in Windowed mode and then switch to Full Screen that doesn't do the trick . It has to be a switch from full to windowed and back to full. Seems like a small price to pay to get the keypress recognition I am looking for.

Thanks for confirming this. I don't know what is going on, and I've no idea how to go about finding out, so I'm going to just document it as it is. Maybe I'll find out exactly what is happening one day, but I'll not lose sleep over it! ;-)

Regards

Pete

Thanks for confirming this. I don't know what is going on, and I've no idea how to go about finding out, so I'm going to just document it as it is. Maybe I'll find out exactly what is happening one day, but I'll not lose sleep over it! ;-)

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

That sounds good. As long as you keep the "work around" in future versions that will be fine for me.

Thanks again.

Stiletto2