The simFlight Network Forums

Assignments on identical FS controllers

Hello all:

I was wondering if anyone out there has more than one of identical FS controllers on the same FSX setup? I found a used, but fully functional CH Products Flight Sim Yoke USB (original, not newer Eclipse) at a garage sale. I picked it up for $5, thinking of just using it for spare parts for my almost 10 year old same model yoke. However, I noticed the shaft that extends out the back has a convienient keyway, and I was thinking of installing both on my in-progess FSX computer setup, so I have the two interconnected by a chain/sprocket configuration, allowing a left-seat and right-seat experience.

Before I do anything, I'd like to know if anyone in our FS world has ever had two identical USB controllers installed in FSX, and if so, does FS and FSUIPC recognize both as unique devices as far as assignments for the buttons, etc? I use a CH Products Throttle Quadrant, so I have the levers on my yoke not assigned, but I'd like to know if the buttons on the two yokes could be programmed differently.

I haven't even tried to hook the garage sale yoke up at the same time with the old one (I tested it on an old FS2004 'puter for functionality), as I don't want to take the chance on 'nuking' my patiently assigned controls, both in FSX and FSUIPC.

I'm looking forward to some feedback.

Rob

When I have my full rig installed (rare these days), I have a Saitek yoke with its own throttle quadrant, plus two stand-alone, identical, extra throttle quads at the side. All of the buttons and levers on these yokes are assigned individually (I use FSUIPC, but FSX recognises them individually as well) so that will not be your problem. You can most certainly allocate the buttons on each device separately, as Windows (and thus FS) will recognise them as different devices.

The only problem you might face is if you try and connect both yokes simultaneously. FS really objects quite strongly to receiving multiple identical inputs at any one time (e.g. two different pitch or roll axes) so that can cause big problems. If, as you describe, you will be connecting them physically and thus the flight control inputs will only be from a single yoke, then you'll be fine.

Something else you may wish to try - in order to retain your current settings while playing with new ones - is to create two different "profiles" for FSX. There are a number of ways of doing this, but the most reliable one I have found is as follows:

Copy fsx.exe and rename the copy to fsx-test.exe (or whatever you prefer) - create a shortcut to this so you can run it directly from your desktop or wherever. This will, when you first run it, create a new fsx-text.cfg file so you will have to assign everything from scratch, or you can simply copy your existing fsx.cfg as fsx-test.cfg and that'll work as well.

Copy your key file for FSUIPC and rename this to fsuipc4-test.key as well. Once more, FSUIPC will generate a new ini file, so you'll need to assign everything from scratch, or you can copy your existing ini file and rename it to FSUIPC4-test.ini which will once more give you exactly the functionality that you already have as a starting point.

There are other ways of doing this, but that's the one I use and I know it works, giving you two totally individual control systems on a single installation where changes made to one (apart from scenery library, which remains a single file) do not affect the other. I have "fsx", which uses only my stick and rudder pedals with nothing assigned/calibrated using FSUIPC, and fsx-yoke which uses the full rig and is all assigned and calibrated through FSUIPC.

Hope that helps?

Ian P.

-SNIP-

The only problem you might face is if you try and connect both yokes simultaneously. FS really objects quite strongly to receiving multiple identical inputs at any one time (e.g. two different pitch or roll axes) so that can cause big problems. If, as you describe, you will be connecting them physically and thus the flight control inputs will only be from a single yoke, then you'll be fine.

-SNIP-

Ian P.

To add to Ian's inputs here, if you connect two yokes or joysticks physically at the same time, you can go into

the FSX Controls menu and disable the unused axis' to prevent contention. I currently have both my Saitek X-45

stick and throttle quadrant attached along with my Saitek Pro Yoke and quadrant plus an additional quadrant.

I prefer flying with the X-45 stick so have disabled the Pro Yoke axis. Likewise, I prefer to use the Pro quadrants

for throttles and have disabled the X-45 throttle axis. All the buttons and switches on both sets of devices are

still usable.

I also use the method Ian mentioned for renaming the FSX.exe file and associated CFG file so that I have

different configurations available...FSX_Military.exe, FSX_Propliner.exe, FSX_OZ.exe and FSX_Test.exe.

A registered version of FSUIPC completes my setup, enabling a whole range of configuration and customization

options. I wouldn't do without that utility!

Paul

To add to Ian's inputs here, if you connect two yokes or joysticks physically at the same time, you can go into

the FSX Controls menu and disable the unused axis' to prevent contention.

If you assign both via FSUIPC as "direct to FSUIPC calibration", and calibrate in FSUIPC, then FSUIPC will prevent any contention in any case. It will arbitrate between the two, acting on the one providing the largest deflection from 'centre' (or 'idle' for throttles). This way, whichever one is actually being used is the one which is in control.

Regards

Pete

Fascinating, all!

This gives quite a lot to think about. I've been 'mentally' constructing things so far, but it sounds like it may not be as impossible as it seemed. At least I know that you can configure two yokes, and even if I can't get a mechanical linkage between them, I still can have them connected through FSUIPC and not cause a major FSX meltdown.

Well, it won't be a 'next day' process, but thanks everybody for the feedback.

• 1 year later...