The simFlight Network Forums
Richard Bryan

Access to FSX flightplans in FSC9

Just registered with FSC9, having used version 8 for several years. When I used that version, on trying to open a old flightplan, you were given the option to go to the Flight Sim folder (as specified through the options window). Later, with an amendment to the config file notified on this forum, you were taken directly to the Flight Sim folder direct.

Now, with version 9, the open flightplan request takes me to the FSC flightplan folder which only shows a few flightplans which came with the program. There is no option to switch to the Flight Sim folder. I have altered the config file as with version 8 but to no avail.

Since I have many flight plans still saved in the old Flight Sim folder (which now also contains one new flightplan saved since the intallation of FSC9), I would like to know if there is a method to open these old files in FSC9 or have I got to start again?

Richard

Hi Richard,

first a few words of explanation so you know what's going on.

In versions 8.x flight plans in FS(09/X) format and in FS Commander format were saved in one and the same file. If you still have such plans you might want to look at one with a text editor. The first part was the FS format followed then by the FS Commander format.

As a consequence this file could either be saved in Flight Simulator's flight plan folder (to load it later into FS) or in a FS Commander folder. This is what the button below the file boxes was for.

We decided to give up this structure and separate these two formats into different files. Thus the FS Commander format is stored in a separate folder \FSC folder and the FS format is saved in the proper FS flight plan folder (usually under C:\) There are a whole bunch of reasons for this decision. FS flight plans no longer have a homogeneous structure, the FS Commander format has changed, and also the old structure was somehow conceptually "unclean". Therefore, if you load flight plans, in v. 9.0 only the \Flightplan\Fsc directory is checked, not the FS flight plan directory.

However, version 9.0 can read both the old format and the new format. So all you have to do is to copy the relevant flight plans into the Flight Plan\FSC directory. Note that this works, of course, only for those files originally generated by FS Commander, because only those contain both formats.

Regards

Sascha

Hi Sascha,

I just created a flightplan "LSZY LFBS" which is saved in "c:\users\AG\documents\flight simulator x-Dateien". I can open this plan in FSX and FSC9. However I don't find the "\Flightplan\Fsc directory" nor the "Flight Plan\FSC directory" where I can copy my old plans created with FSC8. Where is it?

Andreas

Thought I'd add to this thread as I can't seem to allocate a folder for the FSX Flight Plans. If I point it to a local folder, click save then re-open the Options/Flight Plans dialog it's defaulted back to \My Documents and nags me to set the FSX folder again.

For info, I'm an administrator on my own PC (which runs Win XP), and FSC8 worked fine. I'm not getting any warning dialogs to say that I'm selecting anything wrong so I'm confused by the behaviour.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

ps Sascha/Volker- the context menu in the Register dialog is in German but everything else is correctly in English. Thought you'd want to know.

==== LATER =====

OK - it seems you have to assign a SEPERATE folder to the FS plight plans. They can't live in the same path as FSC flight plans.

I understand that it is neccessary to separate the FSX from the FSC flightplans, but:

1.) I am using at the moment different folders because I have many many flightplans and so I have a folder for IFR, IFR+A380, IFR+Concorde, VFR, VA German Airways and so on.

2.) Why are you using 2 different folders for that, it would be much easier to handle ONE directory with TWO filetypes for FSX and FSC. In this case it would be easy possible to use a directory structure as with version FSC8.

Regards Joerg

2.) Why are you using 2 different folders for that, it would be much easier to handle ONE directory with TWO filetypes for FSX and FSC. In this case it would be easy possible to use a directory structure as with version FSC8.

When you are using (as I do) FSX/FSC in a server/client configuration the 2 directories are even on 2 computers.

Andreas

All I want to be able to do is load my FSX flight plan into FSC v9.0 as was the case in FSC v8.6 as I use FSBuild to create all my flight plans.

This simple feature no longer works and is very annoying.

Recently upgraded from FSC8 to FSC9, and while I'm getting used to some of the changes, this issue with accessing flight plans on a remote machine is the only problem I'm still struggling with. I've uninstalled FSC9 and reverted back to FSC8 as the core functionality I use FSC for is gone in FSC9.

While FSBuild works on a patch/upgrade to properly export to the new FSC9 flight plan format, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE allow the user to navigate to a folder/share when loading an FSC flight plan in the load flight plan dialog..

While FSBuild works on a patch/upgrade to properly export to the new FSC9 flight plan format, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE allow the user to navigate to a folder/share when loading an FSC flight plan in the load flight plan dialog.

I agree, for this very reason, I am actually going back to FSC v8.

I am not sure I am seeing my problem discussed here:

I just upgraded this week (1/3/10)

I set up FSC9 as instructed, directly into the C drive, not where the default set-up wants to put it.

I did figure out that to save flightplans, I would have to go to the options menu and find the flight plan set-up.

I don't know what I did, but there was a setting already filled in, but I was trying to connect to the location of my flight simulartor x files (otherwise, my FMC's don't find the flight plan).

Every time I choose the second button, (folder flight simulator files (flight plan)) and close the menu, it does not take. All the selections are empty once again.

fsc9a.jpg

When I save a flight plan, I get a an alert: flight plan for add-on aircraft cannot be saved, because Flight Simulator X folder unknown!

fsc9.jpg

This is my complication......

Of course, I can go into my fsx folder manually and switch it, but FSC8.6 was so convenient..... and the option in FSC9 look so convenient, too, if I could figure out what I did wrong.....

FSX, Acceleration, ASE, Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit), Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @2.83 GHz 2.83 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285