The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CoolP

real-time display of aircraft position in GE

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating the trial version of FSC 9.0 to decide about updating from 8.6.

The thread with the new features listed states

real-time display of aircraft position in GE
but I can't find anything about this option in the help file or the manual.

The only thing so far is the folder setting for the Google Earth program but I think this is used for exporting some already flown data and not a real time position update.

So how can I enable this live view in Google Earth? Would be a welcome feature.

Hi,

To see your current position in GoogleEarth in real-time, you have to choose the menu item GPS-->Show Position in GoogleEarth

Note that this option is only available if a) you are connected to Flight Simulator, and B) the GoogleEarth folder on your system

has been correctly specified in Window-->Options-->Online.

Regards

Sascha & Volker

Volker,

did all that.

Google Earth opens and goes to my last place I screened in GE.

So doesnt show my actual position.

Anything else I need to do.

Also there is not location specified in the TEMP Folder or anywhere else.

Have it not running on a Networked config. All on the same machine.

Win7

Fs2004

Latest FSUIPC registered

Uli

I have the same problem, Google earth starts but shows only the last place and not the actual place of FSX.

My System:

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

FSC 9 (no evaluation copy!) installed in d:\program file (x86)\aerosoft\fsc9

FSUIPC latest version registered

FSX + Acceleration pack installed in d:\program file (x86)\microsoft games....

Google earth (Version 5.2.1.158) installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe

Path in FSC9 -> Options -> online: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\client

Also set to active FSC9 -> GPS -> Google earth

I am logged in as admin and every software (fsx, fsc9, google earth) is started with admim rights

Regards Joerg

Here is my update of my first attempts with GE and FSC9.

Once I had properly read the manual and rewritten my own instructions things seem to have

become positive.

The GE location for files is imperative and I used what was presented in the manual with success.

When the flight plan is saved the first time or saved as any other time the option to use GE is made available.

That seems to plant some files for that flight in GE and it then opens GE showing the flight path and waypoints.

When the GPS is engaged the option to Show Position in GE is active. I seem to think that it works as well if the flight plan is saved while FSX is connected too.

I was also able to disconnect GE from FSX and reconnect successfully with the blue target icon showing the position of the plane.

I also was able to close the GE window and re-open it successfully if I chose to SaveAs in FSC and allow FSC to open a new instance of GE with the plan. Upon enabling GE wthin the GPS the target icon appeared after a few moments at the correct position..

I tried loading GE first and then trying to get the flight plan to show but that does not seem to provide a good result during my trial so I will stick with FSC starting GE and loading the plan itself.

I do have a question though.

I would really like to use an aircraft symbol for the tracking point rather than the blue target

Is it possible to change this somehow?

I also think that AI aircraft are not showing in the GE window although there are AI showing in the FSC window.

Is this to be expected? If so are there any plans to show AI in the GE window in updates?

So far so good!

Darryl Wightman

SimMarket Order: 677974

It is the same if I save a new flightplan. I check the option "GE Flightplan" and FSC9 asked me for starting Google Earth, well of course I am choosing that option, GE starts but thats all. No flightplan to see! I have to manually load the flightplan to see it, but thats less than i could expect, isn't it?

The main difference between our situation seems to be that you are using FS2004 and I am using FSX Acceleration.

I wonder if there is something unusual happening in that regard.

It is the same if I save a new flightplan. I check the option "GE Flightplan" and FSC9 asked me for starting Google Earth, well of course I am choosing that option, GE starts but thats all. No flightplan to see! I have to manually load the flightplan to see it, but thats less than i could expect, isn't it?

The main difference between our situation seems to be that you are using FS2004 and I am using FSX Acceleration.

I wonder if there is something unusual happening in that regard.

I am also using FSX+Acceleration :rolleyes:

I would really like to use an aircraft symbol for the tracking point rather than the blue target

Darryl Wightman

Hello Sascha and Volker,

I also request the possibility to change this blue target with an aircraft symbol. It should be more realistic isnt'it ? :rolleyes:

Regards

Here is my update of my first attempts with GE and FSC9.

Once I had properly read the manual and rewritten my own instructions things seem to have

become positive.

The GE location for files is imperative and I used what was presented in the manual with success.

When the flight plan is saved the first time or saved as any other time the option to use GE is made available.

That seems to plant some files for that flight in GE and it then opens GE showing the flight path and waypoints.

When the GPS is engaged the option to Show Position in GE is active. I seem to think that it works as well if the flight plan is saved while FSX is connected too.

I was also able to disconnect GE from FSX and reconnect successfully with the blue target icon showing the position of the plane.

I also was able to close the GE window and re-open it successfully if I chose to SaveAs in FSC and allow FSC to open a new instance of GE with the plan. Upon enabling GE wthin the GPS the target icon appeared after a few moments at the correct position..

I tried loading GE first and then trying to get the flight plan to show but that does not seem to provide a good result during my trial so I will stick with FSC starting GE and loading the plan itself.

I do have a question though.

I also think that AI aircraft are not showing in the GE window although there are AI showing in the FSC window.

Is this to be expected? If so are there any plans to show AI in the GE window in updates?

So far so good!

Darryl Wightman

Darryl,

I agree with you... hopefully the icon can be changed.

Hi everyone,

as far as we can see, there a three problems that are being mentioned.

1) I do not see my aircraft

Note that GoogleEarth does not automatically reposition windows. That is, if you are looking at London, but your aircraft is in Tokyo, then you have to manually reposition GE to Tokyo.

2)aircraft symbol

GE offers an aircraft symbol, but that does not turn around depending on the heading. So we thought that circles are better than aircraft fyling backwards

3)track after the aircraft

we have thought about this, but have currently no idea if and how GE offers this option.

Regards

Sascha

Hi,

I have done some more homework.

a) I have found that the GE track is created and placed as a temporary place which can be saved to My Places when closing GE

before any flight is done. I can then open that location later with its waypoints and track when I run FSX. I can then tell the GPS

to track on GE and it works the same as if I had started the flight immediately.

B) I think that others, like myself, had some notion of this FSC Version having a map that was in fact Google Earth. I also

think that some may have been inclined, due to their previous review, to think that the new FSC would have aircraft identifiers

like those in Plan-G. It seems that perhaps the author of that pgm had a different philosophy. I also noted that that author had

included red and green aircraft symbols with one for each 5 degrees of rotation.

This results in a display that more or less shows the aircraft orientation within +-2.5Deg.

I shall assume that the author has a routine that checks the heading on each timed refresh and uses the most correct icon

to show for the next display time. If FSC regenerates the icon on a timed basis perhaps that kind of concept could work provided that GE can accept

alternate icons.

P.S I really like the improvements on the user waypoint entry to auto-tab as well as the VOR choices display.

I also have noticed that I can only identify parking and taxiways for either the departing or arriving airport and not both. Too bad,as that

would be a nice touch when the arrival runway and gate is predetermined.