The simFlight Network Forums
steved42

fsc 9 not happy

I have only recently purchased fsc as a boxed version from FSpilotshop. There was no mention of a new version and now I have to pay an extra 25 euro when I have only had a few months of using the software at the original full price.

However the FS pilot shop does not even have the new version 9.0 available as a download and is still selling the old version both the boxed and the download version 8.x at its regular price

I hope nobody purchases this and not realise a new version is available.

http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_70_74&products_id=1378

Additional specifications:

Download-Version: Version 8.5, Manual as a .pdf-file (English, French, German)

Where are we entitled to this so called discount?? if we purchased from FS pilot shop

I also purchased version 8.6 recently from Sim Market. ORDER Number: 658151, purchased on 20 Sept 2010, so i have had approximately 1.5 months of use at full price, and do not feel is fair since no mention of new version coming out real soon or something when i bought it. Had there been a disclaimer of some sorts i would NOT have bought FSC until the new version came out, as is NOT FAIR to have someone pay full price, then about 45 days later announce for a reduced price of only 24 Euros you can get current version of software you just bought. Is there any remedy for this ? Thanks, Gary Hall

• Upvote 1

Gary, expect your posts to be deleted, they won't dicuss this matter.

Well, you are probably correct Andy but they had better discuss it or lose a lot of us. Like Steve and Gary I bought it without knowing that a new version was almost ready. I could have managed without v8.6. Now,

IF I actually get a discount ( I bought mine at the Flight Sim Pilot Shop) I will still have invested about $80 US. Pretty expensive flight planner, no? And to keep it current even more money for Navigraph updates.

At this point I am thinking to start all over buy the "Other guys" product .As I understand it...it has free updates for the DB.

Hi SteveD42,

If you didn't download the version from our site, then you must have the Aerosoft version. You can tell by what is written at the right-hand bottom of the introductory window. In this case you get the discount from Aerosoft. Check their website for procedural details.

Hi all others,

the release date of v. 9.0 was announced late July when it was also mentioned that the new copy would (after 4 years of free upgrades) be the first to cost money with registered users receiving a discount.

Regards

Sascha

If there was an actual release date announced in July then I wouldn't have purchased in August, you only announced that a new version was coming, you didn't give an exact date for the release, it was only about 3 weeks ago that you said early November. Anyone who puchased 8.6 after you announced V9 should in my opinion get a free update, that is how many other developers deal with the situation so as to not offend their newest customers.

If there was an actual release date announced in July then I wouldn't have purchased in August, you only announced that a new version was coming, you didn't give an exact date for the release, it was only about 3 weeks ago that you said early November. Anyone who purchased 8.6 after you announced V9 should in my opinion get a free update, that is how many other developers deal with the situation so as to not offend their newest customers.

I agree with you on this, seems it would be a fair and equatable solution to this issue. People do NOT go looking in support forums so see if there is a new version coming out before they buy a product. I know i do not, and did not when i purchased this product. I only knew my friends had it, and said i should get it, so i went and bought it. Then i, like others find out, wasted my money, as new version coming out and not free upgrade for something i just purchased at full price. Perhaps this is how they do it in Europe, but not America. So if we can not figure this out equitably, then i shall investigate buying something else, rather than this program to get it current when i just bought it less than 2 months ago, and will not buy it again just to get it current. If i had had it for a year or more like most then it would not be a problem to buy upgrade, but not less than 2 months, is not going to happen. Sorry, Gary

I agree with you on this, seems it would be a fair and equatable solution to this issue. People do NOT go looking in support forums so see if there is a new version coming out before they buy a product. I know i do not, and did not when i purchased this product. I only knew my friends had it, and said i should get it, so i went and bought it. Then i, like others find out, wasted my money, as new version coming out and not free upgrade for something i just purchased at full price. Perhaps this is how they do it in Europe, but not America. So if we can not figure this out equitably, then i shall investigate buying something else, rather than this program to get it current when i just bought it less than 2 months ago, and will not buy it again just to get it current. If i had had it for a year or more like most then it would not be a problem to buy upgrade, but not less than 2 months, is not going to happen. Sorry, Gary

Hi Gary,

I am in the same situation, with the exception that I purchased mine from the flightsim store (AU) (Aerosoft Version ) on the 2nd Nov, day after release of ver 9. The title was "Flightsim Commander X" no mention that I was purchasing Ver 8.6 .So it seems that third party suppliers are not even in the loop regarding this new release. Was not till I discoverd this forum that I discoverd there was a new version. I have written to the supplier for answers and if I don't get the new version I will seek a refund..

I can't believe re sellers are not aware of a new version release, they should be the first to know, before the purchasers. Maybe the developers can explain this. And I agree, any puchasers in the last few months should be entilted to a free upgrade. It's called good customer relations, it's not that hard.

Cheers

Julian

Edited by Flapsup

I have made my comments here:

To recap: A VERY POOR business practice....I will not be sending any more money your way Mr Felix unless you make a reasonable adjustment for those of us who have barely had time to learn how to use the program. Your announcement ,wherever it was, came out just weeks after I bought the program.

hekko

I have the boxed version which was bought at the pilot shop not from aerosoft but obviously produced by them. I re state the pilot shop is still selling the old boxed vbersion and I think is still selling the old download version

In reply to the quote about the free updates I have not received a single update for my money./ And are the updates new features or fixes

I agree 25 euros is too steep. and should be free to owners of the 8.6 version or boxed version if purchased later than 30 june 2010

Hi SteveD42,

If you didn't download the version from our site, then you must have the Aerosoft version. You can tell by what is written at the right-hand bottom of the introductory window. In this case you get the discount from Aerosoft. Check their website for procedural details.

Hi all others,

the release date of v. 9.0 was announced late July when it was also mentioned that the new copy would (after 4 years of free upgrades) be the first to cost money with registered users receiving a discount.

Regards

Sascha

I checked aerosoft and at least with the boxed version you get the rebate by using tour reg number even if you purchased from the pilot shop

I cant comment on the download version

I notice there has been some rather heated debate about pricing policy and that this debate is bordering on the abusive side. As forum admin, we are obliged to monitor wherever we can and to assist the individual forum admins if necessary.

Remember, many manufacturers bring out new versions of their product on a regular basis - especially cars. You cannot expect any discount or refund if you buy the outgoing model a couple of months before the end of the series. You might (notice that word "might" - there is no obligation in any statute) get discounts on the outgoing models. But generally, the old models will work for a normal lifespan anyway.

The same goes with software. Just because you have had better discounts or other periods of notice or other benefits from company A, this does not mean company B is obliged to do same. On the other hand, the support for FSC 8 has been free for years now, so have updates. You didn't know about updates? They're often announced on "news" sites - our own simFlight news page tries to keep you informed, so do other sites like Aerosoft, Avsim, Flightsim...

"CAVEAT EMPTOR" is a fair statement - "Let the buyer beware" - now that does have some grounding in law, just as the fact that a seller must sell products according to his announced policies.

In a "Salomonic" decision, I would say there was fair notification. I will say there has been extremely generous support - I bought FS Commander X over three years ago and it was no great rocket science to get the free updates when they were announced. When Sascha and Volker say they will not support FSC 8 any further, I am sure that that will not stop you getting help for any user problems if you post them here. You just won't get any fixes for any new problems discovered. You bought FSC 8.x and think you have been cheated because you bought without discovering the new release? Why cry about it, you have a GOOD piece of software that will continue to work excellently for you - you don't need version 9 to have a good FS tool. Just like if you buy a Garmin "A" GPS and then discover a Garmin "B" GPS a day later...

You will be able to use the prior version for a long time to come so do not complain bitterly about cheating on the part of the maker. We at the simFlight network support the makers of many excellent addons by giving them a forum to offer their customers a free support platform. Do not abuse this privilege we give both to the makers and to you, the users by using abusive or threatening behaviour in a public forum. This only reduces you in the eyes of our intelligent readership.

Remaining "Salomonic" I will also say that there will be no bannings (yet) for concerned and worried posting. Just do not blame others for your own failings please and remain clear headed. Think both sides of the situation through and please read Volker and Sascha's comments in the light of fair play and still a need to be fairly rewarded for excellent programming skills - or could any of the detractors here honestly say they could do better for the price?

Volker, Sascha, please keep, delete or make this post sticky as you wish. My words here are an expansion of the "rules" that every simFlight Network forum member has to agree to before he can access chat and support forums.