The simFlight Network Forums

Disappearing FSC85

tacomasailor

VISTA32/SP2 Home Premium with all current maintenance

i5/750 OC to 3.4GHZ 4 GB memory

eVGA 8800GTS (640MB) / 258.86 driver - running a single screen

FlightSim Commander 8.5 Build 200409 registered

FSX Acceleration

I am a long time user of FSX and FSC and was using FSC just last week. Since then I've updated to IE9, updated GEX, UTX, REX.

When I start FlightSim Commander I get all the normal screens showing stuff being loaded. I then get the screen that prompts me for the Airport - I select KSEA since that is where the default FSX flight begins. I click on Select and the GUI disappears. No FSC screen appears - there is no FSC icon in the TaskBar. Process Explorer(Task Manager) shows the FSC process is running normally.

I use PE to either "Bring to Front" or "Maximize" but no screen ever appears for FSC. It runs, does file IO, uses CPU, allocates memory but there is never any output to the screen.

When I use ALT+TAB to move through the processes - FSC never appears on the screen.

I have experimented with running multiple screens in either clone mode or mapping the desktop across two screens but it makes no difference.

What am I overlooking here>

VISTA32/SP2 Home Premium with all current maintenance

i5/750 OC to 3.4GHZ 4 GB memory

eVGA 8800GTS (640MB) / 258.86 driver - running a single screen

FlightSim Commander 8.5 Build 200409 registered

FSX Acceleration

I am a long time user of FSX and FSC and was using FSC just last week. Since then I've updated to IE9, updated GEX, UTX, REX.

When I start FlightSim Commander I get all the normal screens showing stuff being loaded. I then get the screen that prompts me for the Airport - I select KSEA since that is where the default FSX flight begins. I click on Select and the GUI disappears. No FSC screen appears - there is no FSC icon in the TaskBar. Process Explorer(Task Manager) shows the FSC process is running normally.

I use PE to either "Bring to Front" or "Maximize" but no screen ever appears for FSC. It runs, does file IO, uses CPU, allocates memory but there is never any output to the screen.

When I use ALT+TAB to move through the processes - FSC never appears on the screen.

I have experimented with running multiple screens in either clone mode or mapping the desktop across two screens but it makes no difference.

What am I overlooking here>

Hi,

May I ask a silly question, but you've made the database manager?

Hi,

May I ask a silly question, but you've made the database manager?

During 40 years of supporting computer applications I've learned that the "silly questions" are often the most useful. "Experts" and "experienced users" often overlook the details and "gotchas" they learned about years ago.

Since I am more the latter than the former; I rebuilt the DB - worked fine - just as I expected - but still have the same problem when I run FSC85. Sometimes when I use PRocess Explorer to maximize the FSC window I get the message "There is no visible window associated with this process" - there is nothing showing in the taskbar even though FSC is using CPU and memory

FSC85 and FSX were working very well together last week - moving map, flight plans and all just as they always have.

MISSING COMCT232.OCX???

Immediately after I click on the Select Airport on the GUI after all the files are loaded FSC85 starts trying to find or reference COMCT232.OCX (14893 times in Windows\System 32 and 2482 times in Windows\System and 14,000+ times in other folders) - with the NAME NOT FOUND result every time

I find no occurence of COMCT232.OCX or COMCT232.DLL anywhere on my system -

My LIMITED understanding is that COMCT232 is a VB5 function and is no longer supported - it was replaced by MCOMCT2 in VB6. COMCT232.OCX calls COMCT232.DLL which provides Active X UpDown Control such as ANTIMATION CONTROL - DATE/TIME PICKER - MONTH VIEW. I find many WEB references to various database products and Visual Basic code dying due to a missing COMCT232.OCX (the ocx calls the dll).

Is this the cause of my problems and do I need to reload COMCT232?

It is in the VB6 update but I do not have a licensed copy of VB 6 so I can't download the VB6 patch that replaces COMCT32 and other often lost .ocx/.dll files

Any suggestions or am I off on a wild goose chase with COMCT232???

MISSING COMCT232.OCX???

Is this the cause of my problems and do I need to reload COMCT232?

THE ANSWER IS YES!!!

I downloaded the COMCT232 cab from Microsoft Support, Extracted comct232.ocx and copied it into Windows/System32 - :-PPROBLEM SOLVED! ! :-P :-P

BIG QUESTION - where did the previously installed comct232.ocx get off to??

You can see the details at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172991/EN-US/

Article ID: 172991 - Last Review: December 10, 2003 - Revision: 2.0

INFO: CAB Files Distributed with Visual Basic 5.0

THE ANSWER IS YES!!!

I downloaded the COMCT232 cab from Microsoft Support, Extracted comct232.ocx and copied it into Windows/System32 - :-PPROBLEM SOLVED! ! :-P :-P

BIG QUESTION - where did the previously installed comct232.ocx get off to??

You can see the details at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172991/EN-US/

Article ID: 172991 - Last Review: December 10, 2003 - Revision: 2.0

INFO: CAB Files Distributed with Visual Basic 5.0

Very happy for You

In Previous setupinstall FSC8.6 copy the file you said, i found the line below in

FSCINSTALL.LOG

File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\system32\COMCT232.OCX

Maybe an uninstaller program or an updater program is the cause of the deletion of this file :mellow:

Very happy for You

In Previous setupinstall FSC8.6 copy the file you said, i found the line below in

FSCINSTALL.LOG

File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\system32\COMCT232.OCX

Maybe an uninstaller program or an updater program is the cause of the deletion of this file :mellow:

My install log shows the same line when I did my last install in Oct '09 - I have no idea how the file was deleted but it happened sometime in the last 10 days 'cause FSC was working perfectly in late October