The simFlight Network Forums

Fuel Planner

TC1

I just purchased FSC09 and found that it is an excellant replacement for FSNAV. Currently, the only issue that I am seeing is with the fuel planner. I laid out a flight plan between KMSP to KSEA flying a 767-300ER at 35,000 feet. After laying out the flight with both SIDS and STARS included in my flight plan I ran the FSC09 Fuel Planner for an estimated fuel load.

The FSC09 Fuel Planner told me that I needed less 35,000 lbs of fuel to complete the flight. Running the same scenario against two other fuel planners both stated that I would need between 57,000 and 59,000 lbs for the flight as planned. Almost a 40% difference between the three models.

The parameters of the FSC09 Fuel Planner seem fairly simple compared to other models. Are there any plans in the future to upgrade the planner?

Tom

Hi Tom,

you are perfectly right, the fuel calculator is nothing but a rough approximation to the fuel needed. The reason is that we are using an algorithmic solution which must work starting with a Cessna and ending at a B747. In other words, we do not have the necessary data on all the aircraft which would permit a more accurate solution.

Obvious these data are not available because they are understandably the business secret of the creators of the various airplane. Note that we cannot use real-world data (which sometimes are available) because FS aircraft and real-world aircraft are frequently miles apart. Compare e.g. the PMDG B747 with the original Microsoft B747.

Regards

Sascha