The simFlight Network Forums
Dougal

Google Earth Help Needed AGAIN

I just can't see what I'm doing wrong now guys....

GE starts when I select 'show Position in GE', and I understand I then have to move GE to show my current position.

Nothing is showing up though - no 'target' or position marker :huh:

I have been having a similar issue as Dougal. In Google Earth I manually opened the KMZ files in the FSC9\user\blackbox directory. I opened the FSCPOSCall.kmz file and I did see a blue circle representing my location in FSX. The issue seems to be that GE is not automatically loading the kmz files generated by FSC9. I wonder if it is a Windows 7 issue. I have W7 64bit. I have the latest Aerosoft version of FSC9 I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

CHeers

TJ

Hello,

Well, I personally haven't encountered an issue yet so far with GE in a Windows x64 environment. Ensure that under Windows > Options > Online you have the GE client folder selected. Create/Save a Test plan with a check on GE and FS and then connect and check the "Show position in GE..." and you should be seeing GE automatically open up and show you the map where you'll look for a "circle" which would depict your position. If you leave it open, you'll be able to see the "circle" moving as you move your plane.

If the Online option is configured as expected you should be able to even see a prompt upon creating a flight plan letting you know if you want to view it in GE and if you say yes then you should also be able to see GE automatically open up and give you the location.

I guess the main thing from this is that if FSC9 doesn't open GE automatically then there might be issues. Hope the previous comments help.

Hello,

Well, I personally haven't encountered an issue yet so far with GE in a Windows x64 environment. Ensure that under Windows > Options > Online you have the GE client folder selected. Create/Save a Test plan with a check on GE and FS and then connect and check the "Show position in GE..." and you should be seeing GE automatically open up and show you the map where you'll look for a "circle" which would depict your position. If you leave it open, you'll be able to see the "circle" moving as you move your plane.

If the Online option is configured as expected you should be able to even see a prompt upon creating a flight plan letting you know if you want to view it in GE and if you say yes then you should also be able to see GE automatically open up and give you the location.

I guess the main thing from this is that if FSC9 doesn't open GE automatically then there might be issues. Hope the previous comments help.

Sadly, none of that happens for me and, to be honest, i'm a little disappointed in the lack of 'developer' support here.

I know the GE settings are correct in FSC9 as GE opens as specified.

However, no route shows nor does the aircraft position.

I am running FSC and GE on a networked PC with WideFS.

I'm not blaming the software. It obviously works correctly. I just some help finding out what I'm doing INcorrectly?

Thanks

Sadly, none of that happens for me and, to be honest, i'm a little disappointed in the lack of 'developer' support here.

I know the GE settings are correct in FSC9 as GE opens as specified.

However, no route shows nor does the aircraft position.

I am running FSC and GE on a networked PC with WideFS.

I'm not blaming the software. It obviously works correctly. I just some help finding out what I'm doing INcorrectly?

Thanks

I hear you and I'm networked too... Well, to me it sound like there's a possibility that either GE is having problems opening KML files or a possible security issue preventing it from working properly, but might not be limited to those.

If you go to the Google folder under FSC9 and open the Flight Plan you created, does it show the flight path in red and the way points in the form of yellow flags? This should at least confirm that GE is working correctly to some extent. You can also try to start FSC9 with Administrative privileges and see if that helps as well as trying to set GE to start in DX mode, Safe Mode, or OpenGL as it could be a graphics issue too.

I hear you and I'm networked too... Well, to me it sound like there's a possibility that either GE is having problems opening KML files or a possible security issue preventing it from working properly, but might not be limited to those.

If you go to the Google folder under FSC9 and open the Flight Plan you created, does it show the flight path in red and the way points in the form of yellow flags? This should at least confirm that GE is working correctly to some extent. You can also try to start FSC9 with Administrative privileges and see if that helps as well as trying to set GE to start in DX mode, Safe Mode, or OpenGL as it could be a graphics issue too.

I don't understand what you mean by 'Google folder under FSC9??

Any chance of any official support here guys?

Please?

Dougal,

Under your install path you should be able to see a Google folder where the KML files FSC9 files exist:

\FSC9\Flightplan\Google

If you don't see this folder with KML files that you can open and view flight plans on then that could be one of the source of your issues.

Hope one of the guys reply to you soon or you can just email one of them directly.

Hi!

Unfortunately, I have the same issue!

I chose the correct folder within FSC, and GE starts properly, but the plan doesn´t show and the planes position is also not shown.

I can open the flightplan manually in GE, but still the aircrafts position isn´t shown.

Greets,

Michael

P.S.: I´m running FSC9 on a notebook, connected to FS9 via WideFS

Hi! I think that the problem could be either related to Google Earth or any security thing on Vista.

I already tried reinstalling GE but that didn't show any improvement.

It would be really nice to see the developers commenting on this.

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Mmmmm.... Nope, don't have that folder.

Thanks.

Off to bed now will try again tmrw

If you don't have that folder in your FSC9 installation directory, something went wrong. This is how my tree looks like:

post-12756-053885100 1289547794_thumb.jp

These are the settings in FSC for Google Earth

post-12756-050050300 1289547935_thumb.jp

My installation environment:

FSC and GE on Windows Home Server connected via WideFS to FSX on W7 64bit. Everything is running under Administrator and runs fine.

Always make sure to install as Admin.

Hi everybody,

First of all, we have to distinguish two things which have absolutely nothing to do with each other:

1. display of a FSC-generated flight plan in GE

2. real-time display of current aircraft position in GE

Let's first talk about flight plans.

When you save a flight plan and the option button GoogleEarth has been checked, then this flight plan will be saved in GE format in the folder \Flightplan\Google and at the same time you are being asked whether GE should be called. If you answer yes, then FS Commander automatically starts GE (provided the correct path has been specified in the Options Window) and the file is transferred to GE. This is all FS Commanders does.

Depending on your personal settings in GE, GE will always start either at the location of your continent/region/country, at some invariable predetermined location (which you have previously chosen) or at a variable location determined by the flight plan file.

Note that all this is matter of GE settings, not of FS Commander. If your settings block variable location, then you must manually move to the area of your flight plan.

Note also that displaying a flight plan does not involve automatic display of your aircraft position, simply because what is decribed works even if FS is not running.

Now let's look at the real-time display of the aircraft position represented in GE as three circles.

This option only works if all of the following condition are met:

1. FS Commander is connected to FS (trivial).

2. GE must be installed and the correct path has been specified in the Option window (trivial)

3. The menu item GPS-->Show position in GoogleEarth is checked (crucial)

If the condition 3. is met, then again GE is start and now the same applies as in the case of flight plans. Depending on your individual settings GE will start at your country, at some previously determined place or at a variable place.

If GE does not move to the place of your aircraft position automatically, then your setting block this and you have to manually move there.

As a further issue, it is generally known that the GE map display does not follow dynamic markers (as does FS Commander); i.e. when the circle disappear at the margin, you have to move the map yourself.

Regards

Sascha & Volker

Hi!

Thanks for the answer!

I can say, that I have set up and doubled checked everything the way you explained.

But the only thing that works is that GE opens automatically as soon as I save a flightplan. The plan isn't shown then, I have to load it manually into GE which then displays it correctly.

I could live with that, but the bigger problem for me is, that the current a/c position isn't shown at all. I already reinstalled GE (as admin), but still no joy.

Greets,

Michael

Same for me too.

I now have the correct file structure (thank you for the pics), there ARE saved flightplans in the 'Google' folder, but I can get nothing to load via FSC9.

Nor can I get the aircraft position to show.

I have QUADROUPLE checked all of the above settings.

I just can't see where I'm going wrong??

Thanks

Same for me too.

I now have the correct file structure (thank you for the pics), there ARE saved flightplans in the 'Google' folder, but I can get nothing to load via FSC9.

Nor can I get the aircraft position to show.

I have QUADROUPLE checked all of the above settings.

I just can't see where I'm going wrong??

Thanks

When you just open GE (without FSC or FSX) where are you placed? For example I'm placed about 11000km above central Europe.

When you just open GE (without FSC or FSX) where are you placed? For example I'm placed about 11000km above central Europe.

Above the UK. Why?

Google Earth, by default, looks at your IP for location information when you connect and rotates above that area, so if you open it Australia you've over Australia, Canada rotates over Canada, the UK over the UK.

From what Sascha says above, that sounds like it may be a setting. I've just been through the GE Settings looking for it and can't find anything to alter that behaviour, though.

Ian P.

Google Earth, by default, looks at your IP for location information when you connect and rotates above that area, so if you open it Australia you've over Australia, Canada rotates over Canada, the UK over the UK.

From what Sascha says above, that sounds like it may be a setting. I've just been through the GE Settings looking for it and can't find anything to alter that behaviour, though.

Ian P.

Correct, it seems to be hardcoded within GE. The only possible setting is in the menu under "View" "make starting postion" (don't know how it is translated in the english version of GE).

But anyway, I have absolutely no problems with FSC9 and GE.

I still haven't been able to get FSC to Open Google Earth showing either my flight plan OR my aircraft position.

There was ONCE a time on this forum when individual support was given instead of generic 'this is how it works posts'.

I'm extremely disapointed at the lack of feedback from the developers :sad:

It's not as if I've said it's the software or anything. I fully appriate it works for most, thus MUST be an issue my end.

BUT I DO NEED A LIITLE HELP IDENTIFYING THAT ISSUE PLEASE?

Please guys, it's the third time i've asked?

I still haven't been able to get FSC to Open Google Earth showing either my flight plan OR my aircraft position.

There was ONCE a time on this forum when individual support was given instead of generic 'this is how it works posts'.

I'm extremely disapointed at the lack of feedback from the developers :sad:

It's not as if I've said it's the software or anything. I fully appriate it works for most, thus MUST be an issue my end.

BUT I DO NEED A LIITLE HELP IDENTIFYING THAT ISSUE PLEASE?

Please guys, it's the third time i've asked?

OK, trying to help you:

1. Under what OS are you running FSC and GE? is it W7?

2. What are the installation paths of FSC and GE?

3. How did you suddenly get the correct folderstructure for FSC after it was not correct before?

4. Does FSC connect to FSX?

Thank you

FSX is running on on main PC under Windows7 64 bit

FSC9 is on networked PC under Windows XP 32 bit.

FSC Path = C:\Program Files\FSC9

GE path = C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\client

Folder path was correct previously, I just hadn't seen it.

FSC does connect AND launch GE, but does not show plan or position.

GE flightplans CAN be loaded manually from C:\Program Files\FSC9\Flightplan\Google

It's going to become difficult. Just to make sure: When you have filled a flightplan, postioned the aircraft at the departure airport and connect FSC to FSX, the GPS window opens and the aircraft is shown on the FSC map? And when you mark "Show position in GE" GE opens, but not showing the aircraft.

Dougal,

Do the following:

1. Ensure ALL apps are closed on your PC (XP) where FSC9 is installed in your networked setup.

2. Open Windows Explorer.

3. Navigate to the FSC9 folder and go to Flightplan > Google.

4. There WILL be 3 default (example Google) plans named "EDFHENBR.kml, ENBREINN.kml, and MSLPMGGT.kml".

5. Double click on each of them 1 by one and closing the Google program before opening the next.

Question:

When you perform step 5, did each time you opened those 3 KML files, showed you a RED path with waypoints marked with a YELLOW tag? If the answer is no, then proceed to copy each of those 3 KML files over to another computer and if that computer doesn't have Google Map installed then install it and perform the same procedure you did in step number 5. Does the RED path with waypoints marked with a YELLOW tag show up? By the way Google should automatically zoom into the path so you don't have to do anything once you double click on the KML files.