The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tony causer

Airports problem

Hi Guys

I have FSC 8.6 which I recently reinstalled due to a computer failure. My OS is Vista Ultimate and I use FSX.

I use UK 2000 Extreme scenery and I noticed this week that even after I update the airports with FSC Manager the up to date airport information is not there. For instance Heathrow T5 is not there so obviously my update is not picking up the UK 2000 scenery which has this (original FSX doesnt).

I do notice that during the update UK 2000 Extreme shows up as one of the programmes going through the manager but obviously it isnt picking it up.

I have used FSC for some time now and never had that problem before.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Tony Causer

Sorry I should have said I have FSCUIP 4.6 and I downloaded from Aerosoft originally.

I also noticed that my scenery library path is staying greyed out so I cant use that.

Thanks

Tony Causer

Hi Tony,

First, the fact that the right directory box is greyed is ok, because this is used only in very special cases.

Second, we need to know which airports are missing (ICAO code).

I suggest that you send the files FSCDBM_FS10.log to Volker (whose address you find at the bottom of our website).

Regards

Sascha

Read this Sacha and Volker!

I am obviously not the only one!

Its from the British Airways Virtual Forum

"Hi Tony,

I'm having the same problem at the moment. In Vista FSX seems to insist on having three different versions of scenery.cfg in various places and I've tried to get FSC to read the one I think is the main one that the sim uses without success. I'll keep trying and inform you if I get any results. As for "LL" I just guess where to spawn - it helps that I'm fairly familiar with the airport layout"

Interesting?

Read this Sacha and Volker!

I am obviously not the only one!

Its from the British Airways Virtual Forum

"Hi Tony,

I'm having the same problem at the moment. In Vista FSX seems to insist on having three different versions of scenery.cfg in various places and I've tried to get FSC to read the one I think is the main one that the sim uses without success. I'll keep trying and inform you if I get any results. As for "LL" I just guess where to spawn - it helps that I'm fairly familiar with the airport layout"

Interesting?

That's not realy interesting, as it is quite normal that there are more then 1 scenery.cfg files around on a system (thanks Microsoft). The only relevant one is located under c:/users/all users/Microsoft/FSX, a folder that points (under W7) to c:/ProgramData/Microsoft/FSX.

So, if you have a correct installation of FSX (installed as admin, installed outside the default program folders of Vista) everything should work and FSC finds the correct scenery.cfg as described in the manual.

That's not realy interesting, as it is quite normal that there are more then 1 scenery.cfg files around on a system (thanks Microsoft). The only relevant one is located under c:/users/all users/Microsoft/FSX, a folder that points (under W7) to c:/ProgramData/Microsoft/FSX.

So, if you have a correct installation of FSX (installed as admin, installed outside the default program folders of Vista) everything should work and FSC finds the correct scenery.cfg as described in the manual.

Otto

Thanks for that my FSX is in E:Program Files/Microsoft Games/FSX are you saying it should just be E:FSX?

Tony

Otto

Thanks for that my FSX is in E:Program Files/Microsoft Games/FSX are you saying it should just be E:FSX?

Tony

No, that should be OK, as long as it isn't the default directory given by Windows "c:\Program Files\" or "c:\Program Files (x86)\"(for the 64bit versions).

The reason is, that these are "virtual" folders that very often cause problems with the access rights.

Thats a shame I thought we found the problem!

I really dont know what to do next except perhaps to reinstall FSX, FSC and all my sceneries. I didnt want to do that but maybe I have no option as at the moment I cant use half the functions FSC is supposed to give me for airports.

I was about to upgrade to V9 before I had this problem but I think I will wait until I solve it first. Its a shame because I have had FSC for some time and it worked perfectly before.

I have had problems in the past with UK2000 scenery so I started to install it into the Addon scenery folder and have not had any problems since.

William

When you say you put these in Add On folder did you put them in there still in the UK2000 folder complete or did you split them up as seperate sceneries and get rid of the main UK2000 folder

Ok!

I downloaded a clean FSC installed it in the E drive (same as FSX) and guess what? It works!!!

The problem has to have been therefore FSC because nothing else changed!

The only problem I have now is that it doesn't give me the Run as Administrator option. Should I have clicked the "Only Me" option at the beginning of the install? The notes about dont click this option are confusing. Is that just for Windows 7?

Everything is now sorted but some important lessons learnt!

The problem was with FSC and where I had it.

Firstly I downloaded a new clean FSC. I then uninstalled the old one. What I found was that when you uninstall using Vista Control Panel it leaves bits behind which when you install your new one still leaves you with the problem. You must ensure that ALL FSC components are in the recycle bin!

Next I have multiple drives and I had FSX on C drive with FSC on E drive. For some reason it didnt like this and wouldnt read the Aerosoft and UK 2000 scenery which were in seperate folders in the main FSX files in E drive.

When I installed FSC in a root folder in E drive it immediately was able to read all the scenery files because it was on the same drive.

Another small thing when I chose the exe. icon to pin on my start menu I used All Programs to get it and finished up with one that wouldnt give me Run As Administrator. As soon as I used Windows Explorer and got one from the actual FSC file in E drive it worked perfectly.

Hope this helps others and my thanks to Volker for his assistance.