The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jack

APP not working

HI,

I just bought FSC Commander 9.

My problem is when I click the bottom on the left of the screen the {App] is supposed to show the approach path for each

runway.

I click it and nothing happens....is there a bug in the software or am I missing something. Has anyone else had the same problem.

Any help would be

appreciated.

Jack

Hi Jack,

I just checked and it works ok (provided you have filed a flight plan).

Note, however, that there is a crucial different between 8.x and 9.0 wrt to the App button. In previous 8.x versions the approach path for the runways was a constructed (calculated) route. In 9.0 since the introduction of transitions and (missed) approaches, the approach path is the officially published approach (and missed approach). As a consequence, for smaller airports such an official approach path may not exist, so that nothing is shown.

Regards

Sascha

Hi

Jack,

I just checked and it works ok (provided you have filed a flight

plan).

Note, however, that there is a crucial different between 8.x and

9.0 wrt to the App button. In previous 8.x versions the approach path for the

runways was a constructed (calculated) route. In 9.0 since the introduction of

transitions and (missed) approaches, the approach path is the officially

published approach (and missed approach). As a consequence, for smaller airports

such an official approach path may not exist, so that nothing is

shown.

Regards

Sascha

Thanks Sascha,

Ok

I understand,I guess I will have to live withe the new system. The old way was

nice to have especially when flying VFR and flying into smaller airports much

like bush pilots do, it was very help full. I guess in time I will get over not

having that helpfull tool.

Cheers

Jack

pinEdit Evaluation 6.1.1029

Hello, Sacha

I agree with Jack. App function was very useful.

By the way, looking at Help it is said:

The Approach Window has two graphic and three textual parts. In addition, two list boxes at the bottom allow you to select a runway and an approach for that runway. If no official approach is available for a given runway, a standard approach route will be displayed.

So, as you stated, there is no such "standard approach".

Could you consider to have it again on a future service pack?

Kind regards

Schmid

Hi everyone,

I can see your point; however, the whole thing is basically a conceptual issue. As you correctly observed, in 8.x approach routes were simply calculated for each runway of a given airport, while in 9.0 approaches are official route which come from the database.

You are also correctly observing that, if there is no such official approach, a calculated route nevertheless is drawn in the Approach Window. This seems to a contraction to what I stated in my earlier post.

Note, however, that in the Approach Window it is clearly stated (in the combo box) that no approach is available for that airport/runway. In this case, a calculated vertical and horizontal route is nevertheless drawn.

Now, obviously, we could also do the same thing in the Map Window (connected to the App button). But crucially if we did that you would not be able to distinguish between official approach routes and calculated routes, and this would be conceptually messy.

Nevertheles I can understand your problem, in particular if you are a VFR pilot. But if you want a "nice" approach route to your runway, you can simply add custom waypoints that would lead you directly to the threshold of your runway. I believe that such a such solution would be conceptually "clean" and at the same time get you where you want to go.

Regards

Sascha & Volker