The simFlight Network Forums

A little guidance please:FSUIPC, VSPE, M-Panel, and PMDG JS41

I believe everything is properly installed using the various documents. M-Panel loads correctly, FSUIPC "sees" it and I can define some button/key assignments for the JS 41. Unfortunately, they are not the assignments I want.

Background: Turn the Heading select or altitude select knobs on the JS 41 instrument panel and the M-Panel HDG or ALT readouts follow the settings exactly. I cannot reverse the process and get the M-Panel to set things.. Each click of the HDG knob of the M-Panel is a different numbered JS assignment. So I used just one click, assigned it to INCR HDG BUG with repeat while held. Release command assigned to SET HDG (I believe).

Save and test: HDG bug does not move but Auto-pilot HDG light comes on. Several different commands tried. Most of them made something happen in JS 41 but I cannot figure out the pattern.

Is it even possible to get the M-Panel knobs to work as knobs using FSUIPC and VPSE?

UPDATE: Experimented more this morning without success. In fact, something I did now prevents both throttles to advance together! Either one will go full throttle but the other only half way. Switching to a different JS 41 livery and everything works properly.

I can manage without these enhancements but (1) I have spent a lot for these devices and want to use all their features and ( 2) It really bothers me when I cannot master the techniques that some refer to as "simple".

Specs:

FSX w/SP2

Win7-64 Bit

FSUIPC 4.633

I believe everything is properly installed using the various documents. M-Panel loads correctly, FSUIPC "sees" it and I can define some button/key assignments for the JS 41. Unfortunately, they are not the assignments I want.

Background: Turn the Heading select or altitude select knobs on the JS 41 instrument panel and the M-Panel HDG or ALT readouts follow the settings exactly. I cannot reverse the process and get the M-Panel to set things.. Each click of the HDG knob of the M-Panel is a different numbered JS assignment. So I used just one click, assigned it to INCR HDG BUG with repeat while held. Release command assigned to SET HDG (I believe).

Save and test: HDG bug does not move but Auto-pilot HDG light comes on. Several different commands tried. Most of them made something happen in JS 41 but I cannot figure out the pattern.

Possibly this JS41 is an add-on aircraft which does not use the standard FS controls? If it is by PMDG then I suspect nothing in the autopilot is standard.

If you merely want to test that assignments to the switches and knobs on your M-Panel are working, then please use a default aircraft which responds to FS default controls.

When programming add-ons I'm afraid you must do your own research and work things out yourself. I think most PMDG controls have to be by assigned keystrokes, or maybe mouse macros, but seldom by FS controls, especially for the A/P. I'm afraid I am really not able to obtain every single add-on there is and do all this for everyone. You have what is called a "Do It Yourself" kit.

In this case, though, I think you might be in luck because others have got there before you and worked some stuff out. Please check the J41 threads in the User Contributions sub-Forum.

Is it even possible to get the M-Panel knobs to work as knobs using FSUIPC and VPSE?

Of course, if you mean "knob" not "knobs", as there is only one. You need to understand, though, that the knob and buttons change function depending on the little mini-joystick selector. Those changes are built into the device.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete for such a fast response. Yes, you are correct about the PMDG JS 41 not being a standard control type. That is what makes it such a pain in the youknowwhat :rolleyes:

I really jumped in before considering the other alternatives such as LUA scripts or perhaps M-Panels own mapping. Anyhow, once I clean up the mess I have made I will start over by trying some of the things others have shared here.

Regards

Neal H