The simFlight Network Forums

No GUIDs under [JoyNames]?

For some reason, no GUIDs appear in [Joynames]. I have tried reinstalling FSUIPC, deconnecting, reconnecting the hardware but to no avail. I'm using FS2004 with FSUIPC 3.98a in Windows 7 64bit. Any reason the GUIDs won't appear?

Probably the version actually running is before the GUID check was added. Check the Log. What version does it say at the top?

There's a version 3.989m available in the Download Links subforum. You might want to try that.

Pete

The log says I have version 3.98a. But surely, if I get documentation with this version that mentions the GUID check, than this version should be able to do that? or is the documentation newer than the module?

No, it was certainly added by then. Sorry, I have no explanation. It gets the GUIDs from the registry. Why not, in your case, I do not know. But things have come a long way since 3.98a and I don't want to spend time finding out why if it seems okay with my current version.

I'll try to 3,989m, thanks! See if that works.

Thanks.

Pete

• 1 month later...

Hi, i also have FS9 Win7 Ultimate 64 and FSUIPC 3.98u and missing GUID lines under JoyNames. My FS9 is not under C:\ its under directory C:\Program Files(x86)...... could that be the reason ?

No, but it might be that you are looking in the wrong folder, in the Aliassed copy of the FS9 folders. Try running Windows Explorer by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator" and then looking at the file.

Pete

No, but it might be that you are looking in the wrong folder, in the Aliassed copy of the FS9 folders. Try running Windows Explorer by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator" and then looking at the file.

I did but still no GUID lines. In my system everything seems be OK without these GUID lines. I still can assign buttons calibrate etc. I looked in the manual and guess these lines (JoyNAme section) are for later installation (bypass recalibrating everything again) of FSUIPC.INI ?

I did but still no GUID lines. In my system everything seems be OK without these GUID lines. I still can assign buttons calibrate etc. I looked in the manual and guess these lines (JoyNAme section) are for later installation (bypass recalibrating everything again) of FSUIPC.INI ?

The GUIDs are only used to distinguish between two or more devices with exactly the same names. And the whole JoyName section is only relevant if you are using letters to identify joysticks, instead of the Windows-assigned ID numbers. This is because Windows assigns those IDs arbitrarily and they can change is you reinstall windows, or unplug and replug USB devices, or move PCs. The Joy Letters facility in FSUIPC allows it to keep track of the IDs as they change.

I'm not sure why FSUIPC can't find the GUIDs on your PC though. That's a bit strange. They should be easily found in the Registry. I'll do some more checking here.

[LATER]

Okay. I found some odd Registry differences when using FS9 in different compatibility modes. I've changed FSUIPC3 so it can find the GUIDs now in any of two or three places. It' should be okay on the next Interim Update (3.989v).

Regards

Pete

The GUIDs are only used to distinguish between two or more devices with exactly the same names. And the whole JoyName section is only relevant if you are using letters to identify joysticks, instead of the Windows-assigned ID numbers. This is because Windows assigns those IDs arbitrarily and they can change is you reinstall windows, or unplug and replug USB devices, or move PCs. The Joy Letters facility in FSUIPC allows it to keep track of the IDs as they change.

I'm not sure why FSUIPC can't find the GUIDs on your PC though. That's a bit strange. They should be easily found in the Registry. I'll do some more checking here.

[LATER]

Okay. I found some odd Registry differences when using FS9 in different compatibility modes. I've changed FSUIPC3 so it can find the GUIDs now in any of two or three places. It' should be okay on the next Interim Update (3.989v).

Regards

Pete