The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC4 Flitedeck with GPSOUT

Hi everyone,

I've seen some great info here on using Flitedeck/Flitemap with FSX, and FSUIPC gpsout.

I've read that flitemap should work, and i was hoping to do the same with flitedeck.

so far I've setup virtual serial ports for sending GPSout from fsx, via LAN to a laptop.

Using etherloging software.

When running FSX with GPSout enabled, i can see data being sent via the virtual serial ports to the laptop.

The Flitedeck setup program lets me find a GPS. Using my FSUIPC and flitedeck setings, Flitedecksetup finds NMEA RMC/GGA gps on com 3.

When i do not run FSX, Flitedeck setup program does not find a GPS. So far it seems to work.

In FSUIPC i used COM2,(virtual com port) RMC GGA GSA were ticked and baud 4800 (by default)

When I run FLitedeck, i get a "no GPS Data" error.

According to the help files, it means: Flitedeck is receiving data from the GPS but there's no sattelite data associated with it.

Then it goes on to suggest some causes like broken wire and wrong baud rate.

Did someone get it up and running?

are there some more settings to try?

Cheers.

Ferry Herfst

so far I've setup virtual serial ports for sending GPSout from fsx, via LAN to a laptop.

Virtual serial ports connected by Ethernet? That's a new one on me. What program do you use for that?

The Flitedeck setup program lets me find a GPS. Using my FSUIPC and flitedeck setings, Flitedecksetup finds NMEA RMC/GGA gps on com 3.

When i do not run FSX, Flitedeck setup program does not find a GPS. So far it seems to work.

In FSUIPC i used COM2,(virtual com port) RMC GGA GSA were ticked and baud 4800 (by default)

When I run FLitedeck, i get a "no GPS Data" error.

According to the help files, it means: Flitedeck is receiving data from the GPS but there's no sattelite data associated with it.

Then it goes on to suggest some causes like broken wire and wrong baud rate.

Sorry, I don't understand. The program's Setup says it works, but the program says it doesn't? How much sense does that make?

Sounds like a question for Flitedeck support. Who makes it? I Don't know it.

Maybe it needs different NMEA sentences, not just RMC, GGA and GSA? But if so why would its setup says it's okay? Strange.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

You're awesome with such a fast response!

Even with all my efforts in being as clear as possible, it seems i made some confusing typo's

The virtual serial ports are generated by software from Eterlogic.com (VSPE is the name of the desktop shortcut)

I found this as an alternative to MIXW on one FSUIPC related site/forum

My adding a virtual com port, and then a TCPserver (devicetype), it's possible to sent the comport data via WLAN.

On the other end a TCPclient to receive the data linked to a virtual com port. (all done using VSPE)

Flitedeck is by jeppesen, it is the electronic flightbag part of the Jeppview software.

Flightdeck has a setup program to change looks and also GPS settings, e.g. comports, type of gps that is connected.

Its possible'to test the connection. Test looked good. showed a gps connected using RMC GGA and so on.

In the Flitedeck Helpfiles I found that the "no GPS" message shown in the program, means that flitedeck recognises a gps, but is not able to calculate a position. Maybe someone knows what (NMEA or whatever) settings work with Flitedeck.

Kind regards

Ferry

The virtual serial ports are generated by software from Eterlogic.com (VSPE is the name of the desktop shortcut)

Ah, yes, I use VSPE too. I didn't know it could link ports over Ethernet too. I use it to make pairs of ports, for instance so i can use the WideFS facilities to send GPSout data to a networked PC, and have WideClient send it to flitemap via a pair of virtual serial ports on that PC. Sounds similar to what you are doing except I'm using WideFS as the network link.

Flitedeck is by jeppesen, it is the electronic flightbag part of the Jeppview software.

Ah ... another new one on me. I've been using Flitemap Worldwide Corporate edition for many years. I just updated it recently (I only do that every 2 or 3 years as it's so expensive!)

In the Flitedeck Helpfiles I found that the "no GPS" message shown in the program, means that flitedeck recognises a gps, but is not able to calculate a position. Maybe someone knows what (NMEA or whatever) settings work with Flitedeck.

Have you tried enabling all of the sentences available, and if that works, remove them one by one. A sort of process of elimination?

One other thing to play with is the "PosTo6Decimal" parameter in the INI file. Try No if set to Yes, or vice versa. It simply controls the number of decimal places provided in the Latitude and Longitude. seems some things like 4 , others 6.

Regards

Pete

• 9 months later...

Hi Pete,

I have the same problem. I tried to put on "PosTo6Decimal" but nothing has changed.

After many years of FS9 I installed in these days FSX and FSUIPC4 to have wia widefs LAN and Eterlogic virtual ports, FliteDeck Jeppesen and Corporate FliteMap moving map. Both programs are the current version 9.5.5.0 build 16210.

Everything is ok. Widefs connected. Flitedeck setup is ok, NMEA test is ok, but then the program give me the message No GPS. On the same time, in FliteMap external device setup you can not have any position data.

I thought that this was due to FSUIPC or the LAN or the virtual widefs and doors, but then I did a test. I used the exact same settings and I connected the same way a PC where I had a Flitedeck version 3.4.5.0 build 14004 and a Flitemap 9.4.6.1 build 13707 (two or three years old I supposed). Here everything worked perfectly.

Jeppesen obviously changed something in later versions, making it impossible to use the moving map as I did with FS9 and with your programs.

So after this test I can say that the problem is Jeppesen and that the only man able to understand what has changed is you.

Thanks for all

giodoc

After many years of FS9 I installed in these days FSX and FSUIPC4 to have wia widefs LAN and Eterlogic virtual ports, FliteDeck Jeppesen and Corporate FliteMap moving map. Both programs are the current version 9.5.5.0 build 16210.

Everything is ok. Widefs connected. Flitedeck setup is ok, NMEA test is ok, but then the program give me the message No GPS. On the same time, in FliteMap external device setup you can not have any position data.

I thought that this was due to FSUIPC or the LAN or the virtual widefs and doors, but then I did a test. I used the exact same settings and I connected the same way a PC where I had a Flitedeck version 3.4.5.0 build 14004 and a Flitemap 9.4.6.1 build 13707 (two or three years old I supposed). Here everything worked perfectly.

Jeppesen obviously changed something in later versions, making it impossible to use the moving map as I did with FS9 and with your programs.

So after this test I can say that the problem is Jeppesen and that the only man able to understand what has changed is you.

I am using Jeppesen FliteMap version 9.5.2.1 build 15211, and that works perfectly well. There seems to be many ways of getting to accept a variety of data. I normally run it at 19200 and use Generic with almost any of the NMEA selections, or "Aviation ABC" with GPSout set to "AV400". I think most of the Garmin NMEA selections work too. I've used it with the interval set to 500 mSecs and 1000. I prefer the faster updates and it copes well.

I really can't see that Jeppesen would have changed anything to wreck all of these. and especially not in a rather minor increment such as 9.5.2 to 9.5.5. It would also wreck their use with real GPS devices of those types as well. It must surely be down to some settings you haven't got quite right.

BTW there is no way I can detect changes made to what a program will accept as INPUT. Of course i can diagnose OUTPUT problems, by looking at the output. But there's no way apart from trial and error to discover anything about input.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

to complete what I wrote, I did other tests using the same settings with FS9 and GPSout and I stuck the same results. Only the old editions of Jeppesen work. In addition to FS 9 I also wanted to test X-Plane 8.64 that has default NMEA output which has always worked in the past with the same lan settings and same virtual Eterlogic ports. Even X-Plane is no longer working with last Jeppesen versions of the programs I mentioned in my previous email.

In conclusion, Jeppesen has changed some elements in the last GPS software interface and can not be longer used by us simmers. The latest versions of Flitedeck and Flitemap rather work perfectly on my Acer Iconia tablet connected to a GPS USB DONGLE ND-100S.

I'll try to report the problem to their support and see what they tell me or can do.

Thanks and best regards,

giodoc

In conclusion, Jeppesen has changed some elements in the last GPS software interface and can not be longer used by us simmers. The latest versions of Flitedeck and Flitemap rather work perfectly on my Acer Iconia tablet connected to a GPS USB DONGLE ND-100S.

I really can't see how they can tell the difference between a program generated series of inputs on a serial port and a real GPS, unless they are actually testing to see if it is a real COM port. You could eliminate that by using a real COM port and a serial cable link, like in the days before we used virtual serial port programs.

I'll try to report the problem to their support and see what they tell me or can do.

Could be a bug I suppose, but it would be a very strange one if it selected out only software generated data!

Do keep us informed, please.

Regards

Pete

Conclusions after a Sunday test GPSout FS9 and usual settings.

Flideck3 only works with cable COM port COM port.

Virtual Eterlogic works only setup and not the program.

Virtual MixW ComEmul does not work even setup.

Flitemap 9 works perfectly with both Eterlogic and MixW virtual ports. However,they must not used after the flideck setup or they do not work. (I do not know why).

That's all. I hope that the Jeppesen support tell us what has changed in last versions of Flitedeck seen the virtual ports no longer work with the program as reported in topic.

Regards

giodoca

Flideck3 only works with cable COM port COM port.

Virtual Eterlogic works only setup and not the program.

Virtual MixW ComEmul does not work even setup.

Flitemap 9 works perfectly with both Eterlogic and MixW virtual ports. However,they must not used after the flideck setup or they do not work. (I do not know why).

That's all. I hope that the Jeppesen support tell us what has changed in last versions of Flitedeck seen the virtual ports no longer work with the program as reported in topic.

That's really weird. i cannot imagine what they've done to get such an outcome!

I assume you've tried different Baud Rates, and with VSPE set to emulate baud rate and not. -- the only option is provides when creating a new pair?

Regards

Pete

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. Nice forum.

For what its worth, I read this thread and had the same intentions and problems. Solved it with FliteDeck3 and VSPE latest app (Oct 011). Need to configure VSPE using the CONNECT option (not PAIR). Just say COM1(or whatever com port u want) in VSPE, in FSUIPC GPS Out set the COM1 and use RMC and PgmZ (for altitude else it show as GPS 2D instead of GPS 3D) and in FliteDeck just say u have a GPS GENERIC NMEA 0183 RMC/GGA unit.

Follows perfectly. Actually put a100 ms refresh rate in FSUIPC for immediate refresh in Flitedeck.

Hope it helps.

Zipo

Hi Pete

this is Jeppesen replay to my report

Hello,

In order to help troubleshoot the problem you are having in getting your GPS to communicate properly with FliteDeck, we would appreciate it if you could provide a log file of the GPS data capture from Windows Hyperterminal. Please follow these instructions only if you are using a Windows XP computer, if you are using Windows Vista or 7, please visit www.jeppesen.com/jsd to download the Jeppesen System Diagnostics tool, and capture the communication using the “COM/GPS Connectivity” under Jeppesen Tools.

1. Make sure the GPS is connected to the computer, is powered on, and has acquired a position fix.

2. Open Windows Hyperterminal. To get to Hyperterminal, go to Start-Programs-Accessories-Communications-Hyperterminal.

3. When opening Hyperterminal, it may ask if you want to make it your default Telnet program, just select No.

4. When prompted to enter a name for a new connection type in GPSTEST and press OK.

5. On the next screen, change the "connect using" field to the com port of the GPS connection and press OK.

6. Press OK at the bottom of the next screen, Port Settings, as it should not be necessary to change these setting.

7. Now, you should start seeing data coming in from the GPS. Once you do, click on Transfer at the top, then select Capture Text.

8. On the next screen, you can browse to where you want to save the log file, and also create a name for it. It isn't very important what you name the file. You can use your name, the model of the GPS, your customer number or case #. After selecting the location and name of the file, press OK.

9. After about 30 seconds to a minute, click on Transfer again and select Capture Text - Stop.

10. You should now see the file in the location where you chose to save it. Please email the data capture file to us.

Thank you for taking the time to send us this file as it will help expedite the process of identifying the issue and resolving it.

Best Regards,

Patrick K.

Global Aviation Technical Support

Since I'm not an expert technician pc, if you or others want to try, it shoud be interesting to find where the trouble is.

Thanks, the best

giodoca

I followed step by step as suggested by Jeppesen on Hyperterminal after testing the correct functioning of the vitual port in Jeppesen FliteDeck setup but I dit not get any signal. Please try it yourself so you can tell me if the method is good or I do something wrong. I also tried as suggested by Zipo, but without success, the message is still no position. It would be interesting to know what OS he uses. Finally, I confirm that FliteMap works perfectly with the same setting but only if you do not first run Flideck setup testing virtual Port.

Thanks again,

giodoca

Hi to all concerned. This is the response to my mails of Jeppesen whom I thank for his collaboration.

"From my experience nothing has changed on the way Flitedeck is displaying the raw data streams from GPS inputs. If you are able to read the GPS streams with different applications normally we need to check the GPS input settings. Enter into Flitedeck setup under the GPS tab. You can try the different GPS input settings but most generic GPS units seem to work well with Generic RMC/GGA. Make sure that the GPS tests ok in Flitedeck setup.

Alternatively if you are still running into problems we have had success with a program call Franson GPSgate. This will take a GPS stream convert it to a generic format and send to different virtual reports. Flitedeck works well with the GPS stream out from this program. It can be download from www.franson.com/gpsgate.

If you are still running into issues please contact us be telephone to troubleshoot further. We are available 24.7. Thank you for using Jeppesen.

Best Regards,

Jason

Global Aviation Technical Support

Jeppesen

A Boeing Company

Phone: 303-328-4587 | 1-800-732-2800 | +49-6102- 5070 | pctechsupport@jeppesen.com

55 Inverness Drive East | Englewood, CO 80112 USA | www.jeppesen.com

*On-line live chat is available Monday to Friday 2am-5pm click here chat with our support staff.*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to let you know I have just finished setting successfully Flitedeck with FSX via FSUIPC, wideFS/Wideclient and using VSPE. So it IS possible smile.gif There's hope giodoca if you want to do without GpsGate.

I'll post my settings later on.

Hi Nephi

Being new to this I am trying nut out how to use the exact same scenario as you describe above.

Any chance you can post your setting with a step by step instruction sequence.

I don't have much hair left - I would like to keep what little I possess :mrgreen:

Regards

Rob

Hi Nephi

Being new to this I am trying nut out how to use the exact same scenario as you describe above.

Any chance you can post your setting with a step by step instruction sequence.

I don't have much hair left - I would like to keep what little I possess :mrgreen:

Regards

Rob

no responses?? interesting

dont bother

I worked it out for myself from reading myriad forum entries.

Why is it so difficult for 'experts" to help beginners??

One of my little life sayings'

" all experts were once beginners"

I have to say that it is not always easy to follow what the experts write as you write from a platform of assumed knowledge which leaves out the "little and necessary" details to successfully complete a task.

Flitedeck is now working with GPSout a treat and I am very happy using it.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

All my apologies for taking so long to come back, I've been very busy lately between work and ill children.

Here are my settings :

FSUIPC.ini on FSX PC :

[GPSout]

GPSoutEnabled=Yes

Port=WideFS

Speed=19200

Interval=500

PosTo6Decimal=No

Sentences=RMC,GGA,PGRMZ

WideClient.ini on client flitedeck PC :

[GPSout]

Port=com5

Speed=19200

Of course you can choose any port, provided you keep the same number in the next operation.

Launch VSPE, create a simple CONNECTOR, choose COM5

In Flitedeck's Setup, go to GPS tab, select "GPS connected : select manufacturer..." and then choose "Generic" in the left column and "NMEA 0183 RMC/GGA" in the right one

Under that choose COM5 in the COM Port selection (or any other port number if you chose another one in the previous step), tick the override BAUD rate and select 19200.

Now you can launch FSX on your main PC, and Flitedeck on the secondary PC. You should see a red warning indicating that no GPS has been found. Launch WideClient, and there you go.

Again all my apologies for taking so long to come back. Hope this helps and if you found a way on your own, that it may help some others.

I'm sure some refinements to this settings can be done (maybe Pete will have some ideas) but it workds without a glitch like that on my setup.

Enjoy your flights.

Edited by Nephi

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...