The simFlight Network Forums

Unusual occourances at PHOG, Hawaii

I have MyTraffic 5.3a installed and have scheduled various flights, and deleted several flights that really should not be there, in and out of PHOG in Hawaii. A couple of anomalies have occurred that I would like to report. First, I noticed several Hawaiian B-717 flights that have landed, rolled to a stop, told by the control tower to exist the runway, but then just sit there and never move. The control tower continues to tell the flight to exit the runway. If there is traffic waiting to take off, they just wait and wait and wait. The only occurrence that I have noticed is the B-717 Hawaiian. All other flights and general traffic seem to operate normally. As a test, I changed the time in the FSX, and advanced it 1 second, and the Hawaiian flight sitting on the runway, plus the aircraft waiting to take off, all vanish....:?: Then flight operations again function normally. Another thing I notice at PHOG was one of the ai trucks meeting a Piper aircraft on a taxiway, blocking it's path. The piper received clearance to taxi to runway 2, but could not get there because of the fuel truck. I watched this for awhile, but neither vehicle moved. Again, advancing the time by 1 second also cleared both vehicles. Just some very curious things to report. Don't know if anyone else has experienced this at other airports and airlines around the world.

I have MyTraffic 5.3a installed and have scheduled various flights, and deleted several flights that really should not be there, in and out of PHOG in Hawaii. A couple of anomalies have occurred that I would like to report. First, I noticed several Hawaiian B-717 flights that have landed, rolled to a stop, told by the control tower to exist the runway, but then just sit there and never move. The control tower continues to tell the flight to exit the runway. If there is traffic waiting to take off, they just wait and wait and wait. The only occurrence that I have noticed is the B-717 Hawaiian. All other flights and general traffic seem to operate normally. As a test, I changed the time in the FSX, and advanced it 1 second, and the Hawaiian flight sitting on the runway, plus the aircraft waiting to take off, all vanish....:?: Then flight operations again function normally. Another thing I notice at PHOG was one of the ai trucks meeting a Piper aircraft on a taxiway, blocking it's path. The piper received clearance to taxi to runway 2, but could not get there because of the fuel truck. I watched this for awhile, but neither vehicle moved. Again, advancing the time by 1 second also cleared both vehicles. Just some very curious things to report. Don't know if anyone else has experienced this at other airports and airlines around the world.

I will check if there is anything special at PHOG with the B717, do you use the airport as it comes with MyTraffic or do you refer to an addon airport. Things you report are typical for airports with hold short nodes too far away from the runway, and aircraft length might make things different for a 717 than a 737 as example.

This said, on real airports ATC still is done by humans, not by computers, for a good reason. Computer systems help the Controllors, and these systems are very expensive, they cost millions per airport and year. Neither would I think of Microsoft as a supplier of such a software, nor would a tiny simple routine taken out of a low cost game like MSFS do this - your expectations from FSX are higher than you paid for...

At least this is nothing we can do about, unless we start to rewrite FSX, just with hundred times the resouces that Microsoft had.

Hi Burkhard and thanks for your reply. All I was doing was reporting. In no way was I trying to make it sound critical. My apologies if it was perceived that way. I solved my own problem by merely advancing the time in the world menu of FSX by just 1 second, and all returns to normal. Your first paragraph explained it just fine...:).

The airport in question is the one from MyTraffic X 5.3a, not an addon. The only other addon I have running is Ultimate Terrain X. Since I have only noticed it with the B717 and no other aircraft, I plan on doing some experimentation and removing the B717 Hawaiian flights and replacing them with several B717 Northwest flights and see if I can duplicate the occurrence with this aircraft. Even if I can, no big deal. The 1 second workaround is fine.

FWIW I don't have a MTX PHOG version in my scenery folder. From what I can tell looking at the FSX stock PHOG there's a hold short issue at Rwy 5. Can you be a little more specific regarding which Rwy/Taxiway(s) you notice the bottle necks and problems?

According to the stock airport, the vehicle paths are only partially complete, which is typical for stock airports. This means that vehicles will enter the airplane taxi/path system to get around.

If it's true that MTX doesn't have its own PHOG then you could always check over at flightsim/AVSIM for an alternative to the stock airport.

Thanks Kagazi for your helpful explanation. I use runway 2 exclusively. I have not tried runway 5. The taxiway bottleneck occurred at the center taxiway of the main runway as the Piper was moving from the general aviation parking area on its way to runway 2 for takeoff. An ai service truck entered the taxiway at the same time and both blocked each other. I only observed this happening once.

As far as the Hawaiian B717 landing and not moving off the runway, this has happened several times, and despite the heavy traffic landing and taking off from runway 2, I have only noticed this with this particular aircraft being affected. I'll check the files on several of the flightsim websites to see if there is a rebuild of PHOG.

Thanks again.

Thanks Kagazi for your helpful explanation. I use runway 2 exclusively. I have not tried runway 5. The taxiway bottleneck occurred at the center taxiway of the main runway as the Piper was moving from the general aviation parking area on its way to runway 2 for takeoff. An ai service truck entered the taxiway at the same time and both blocked each other. I only observed this happening once.

As far as the Hawaiian B717 landing and not moving off the runway, this has happened several times, and despite the heavy traffic landing and taking off from runway 2, I have only noticed this with this particular aircraft being affected. I'll check the files on several of the flightsim websites to see if there is a rebuild of PHOG.

Thanks again.

It is not out of the world that the 717 front gear is too fa off the line while the MD80 isn't just for length. I'm afraid I can only look next week, but a certain cleanup of PHOG should not be more than one nice evening of work.

but a certain cleanup of PHOG should not be more than one nice evening of work.

Ha! Three days later and still working out little bugs I will dispute this claim! ;-) PHOG was a big mess. There was more wrong than right. Maybe a lot has changed since 2005? Plus lots of errors in the approaches/transitions and taxiway network.

I was last there in 2003 so my personal pics weren't of much help - good thing for Bing 3d maps. I have redone this airport from scratch. Hopefully fixed everything and updated everything to 2010. I will post the airport and changes once I finish testing some time this week. All we need now are a few Go! Mokulele flights per day and all is set.

kagazi, I'm following this with great interest and anxiously await your update! Thanks...:).

What Kambiz also detected: The database entry for the Go! CRJ is incomplete. I will set up a small file to import to the editor to have them working properly.

I'm attaching two versions of PHOG. One with the crosswind (5/23) active at all times and one with the crosswind active when the winds shift.

The readme file should explain it all including how to install. If you want the spots you'll need to get it from flightsim. Do a search using the name in the readme.

Remember to only install one version at a time.

Report all bugs here. I will respond with fixes after the Holidays.

PHOG_CW.zip

PHOG_NoCW.zip

post-11794-0-86429400-1292566694_thumb.j

post-11794-0-69106000-1292566722_thumb.g

I'm attaching two versions of PHOG. One with the crosswind (5/23) active at all times and one with the crosswind active when the winds shift.

The readme file should explain it all including how to install. If you want the spots you'll need to get it from flightsim. Do a search using the name in the readme.

Remember to only install one version at a time.

Report all bugs here. I will respond with fixes after the Holidays.

Thank you so much, Kambiz! For the official path I think I will use the non-CW for this airport, since the number of parkings is so low that it can be done with one runway only.