3. FS Commander version 9.0 Build 23-11-2010

Database Manager version 9.0 Build 171110

4. Download version simMarket

5. Operating System Vista32

6. Airac Cycle 1013

I enter the following in the flight plan window

CYBL ROYST J502 SEA J20 YKM KYKM

and press OK.

The flight plan that is generated goes to ROYST but instead of continuing south to SEA, it heads north to ANN then a long round about back to SEA. After some experimenting I determined that if I changed the flight plan to CYBL ROYST J502 YYJ J502 SEA J20 YKM KYKM, it works fine except that the generated flight plan makes no mention of the J502 between YYJ and SEA. While the J502 shows on the FSC map and both YYJ and SEA indicate that they are on the J502, the flight plan generator does not seem to recognize the J502 between YYJ and SEA.

Can someone please give this flight plan a try and see if you get the same result? I don't need a work around as I can simply plot the way points and ignore the airway. However, if others are seeing the same result, this may be indicative of a larger problem.

Hi Tom,

I can confirm that when I input this FP it does exactly as you have described. ie goes way north tp OTZ before turning to SEA.

Rog

FSX + Accel

XP Pro

FSX 9.0

FSUIPC 4.634

Airac 1013

Hi Tom,

this appears to be a problem that we cannot solve at hand. We will look into it and see what's happening. In case there is an error in our code, we will fix it for the next version.

Regards

Sascha

Hi Tom,

after a lot of experimenting and endless numbers of coffees we finally found out what's going wrong with your flight plan.

The bottomline is this: the problem is that the leg from YYJ to ORCUS is not specified in the underlying database, so that when a route is created there is, in fact, no airway from YYJ to ORCUS. Since the underlying database is created by Navigraph, we will inform Richard Stefan about this error and ask him to fix it. Interestingly, this error has been there for at least the Airac cycles ever since early 2008 without anybody noticing it.

If you are interested in the details please continue to read, otherwise forget about the following.

In creating airway routes FS Commander uses the Dijkstra algorithm (check the Internet for details). The advantage of this algorithm is that a. it is very fast and b. it is virtually infallible in the sense that it does not make mistakes. The reason for this is that the Digkstra algorithm computes all possible routes between two points A and B simultaneously without the need of backtracking. At the end of the computation the algorithm selects the route with the shortest distance. Of course, the Dijkstra algorithm is only as good as the underlying database, so that if there are errors in the underlying database (as in our case) the resulting route may be unreasonable. As a consequence of the fact that the leg between YYJ and ORCUS remains unspecified, it selects a route that first goes north and then south again avoiding the route between YYJ and ORCUS. Note also that the "lines" you see between waypoints is independent from the underlying database for computing the route. Interestingly as far as the "lines" are concerned, the line between YYJ and ORCUS is there, but not the corresponding record in the database for computation.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards

Sascha & Volker

Sascha:

By the time I fly that route again I'm sure Richard will have fixed the database. I suppose it is a good thing that it takes 2-3 years to find errors in Richard's data.

Thanks,