The simFlight Network Forums

Repainting Questions

FreqE1

Hello! New user here.

I, as usual have jumped in before looking where I'm going. I have repainted the CF-18 that is included in the package (F18F-t.dds). I assume that's the one you paint.

I am using Paint.net with the dds plug in. When I go to save my work there are a few options I must choose from.

The first is file format, I believe I should choose DXT1 (Opaque/1-bit Alpha). Correct?

Second choice is Compressor Type, Range Fit (Fast/LQ), Cluster fit (Slow/HQ), and Iterative fit (slowest/HQ). Which of the 3 do I choose?

Do I check the generate Mip Maps box at this point?

That's it for the saving.

Once I have this file saved correctly how do I generate the other two Images, F18F-t_1 and F18F-t_3? I did a search in this forum and came up with something about Image Tool. Where do I find this tool and could someone explain exactly what to do with it please?

Thanks for taking the time to read my requests,

Rob

Hello! New user here.

I, as usual have jumped in before looking where I'm going. I have repainted the CF-18 that is included in the package (F18F-t.dds). I assume that's the one you paint.

I am using Paint.net with the dds plug in. When I go to save my work there are a few options I must choose from.

The first is file format, I believe I should choose DXT1 (Opaque/1-bit Alpha). Correct?

Second choice is Compressor Type, Range Fit (Fast/LQ), Cluster fit (Slow/HQ), and Iterative fit (slowest/HQ). Which of the 3 do I choose?

Do I check the generate Mip Maps box at this point?

That's it for the saving.

Once I have this file saved correctly how do I generate the other two Images, F18F-t_1 and F18F-t_3? I did a search in this forum and came up with something about Image Tool. Where do I find this tool and could someone explain exactly what to do with it please?

Thanks for taking the time to read my requests,

Rob

Imagetool is included in FSX SDK and is the way Microsoft converts bitmap format. This is the only way supported by Microsoft - if others work or not is just the responsibility of the designer.

Using Imagetool I create all files in DXT1 no alpha mip mapped, and making the smaller sub images is straight forward in Imagetool. Do not add alpha channels, they only make problems, with the drawcall needing twice the CPU time being the smallest. Hope this helps, if not ask again and please share the result of your work with us...