The simFlight Network Forums

Import of FS Flightplans

schmiko

I know thats an annoying question :rolleyes:, but why is it not possible to import a flightplan with simple waypoint coordinates, without any further information?

Background of my question: I am flying as a pilot in some virtual airlines and I get my flightplan normally as a normal *.pln file. So it would be great if there is a possibility for a simple import.

It would be ok for me, if I get only User-Fixpoints, it is not neccessary to get information about VOR, NDB, ILS or SID, STAR, TRANS.

Gruss Jörg

1.) ...again and again we have answered this question in this forum. The FSCommander need for planning more information as we can get from other sources.

2.) Why do not you use the route string function?

1.) I know that answer (and i told you before it is annoying for you :rolleyes:), but your answer and the answers before are not transparent for me. Why is it possible for other Tools, e.g. FSMap, to import once a flightplan and why is it not possible for FSC? You could get the coordinates from the PLN-file and that shouldn't be enough for a simple fixpoint in FSC? Also you could ask for more information by user, while the import process.

2.) It is not possible to use the route string function of FSC in that case, because I have to use a special route (it is not my decision), which is, in the most cases, not the shortest route and so FSC calculates a very good route but NOT the route I have to flight.

1.) I know that answer (and i told you before it is annoying for you :rolleyes:), but your answer and the answers before are not transparent for me. Why is it possible for other Tools, e.g. FSMap, to import once a flightplan and why is it not possible for FSC? You could get the coordinates from the PLN-file and that shouldn't be enough for a simple fixpoint in FSC? Also you could ask for more information by user, while the import process.

2.) It is not possible to use the route string function of FSC in that case, because I have to use a special route (it is not my decision), which is, in the most cases, not the shortest route and so FSC calculates a very good route but NOT the route I have to flight.

Hi Jörg,

1. There is also an answer for this: FSC needs some data, which are not provided by standard FSX plans. Maybe the programmers could have written an import feature, but that was not their intention. And IMHO it doesn't make sense as FSC normally is used with actual navdata and FSX database is very outdated. Despite the fact that FSX also delivers just coordinates.

2. Can you post a string that doesn't work with FSC?

Hi Jörg,

wrt to your first question, there is little I can add to what Mopperle has said. The point is simply that FS flight plan lack a whole bunch of information that FS Commander needs. The coordinates are the trivial part, but FSC also needs identification for SIDs, STARs, and transition, in the latter case speed and altitude restrictions, array position in order to check waypoints against the current database, etc. etc.

wrt to your second question it may well be the case that the route string you enter will not be processed in its original form. This will be the case if either airways or waypoints contained in the route string are not or no longer present in the current database, i.e. the one from Navigraph. Furthermore, the route string entered must be correct in the sense, that one-way airways are properly observed. Whether or not this is the case, cannot be told from the route string itself.

Regards

Sascha

2. Can you post a string that doesn't work with FSC?

wrt to your second question it may well be the case that the route string you enter will not be processed in its original form. This will be the case if either airways or waypoints contained in the route string are not or no longer present in the current database, i.e. the one from Navigraph. Furthermore, the route string entered must be correct in the sense, that one-way airways are properly observed. Whether or not this is the case, cannot be told from the route string itself.

Hi Mopperle, Hi Sascha,

FSC works very good with a routing string, I am using this functionality very often and that works really fine for me, but my problem is: In many cases I don't know the routing string, because I get only a PLN-file with the route and I get the arrival/departure airport. In this case I have to load that PLN-file e.g. in FSX and have, look at the FLP in the Garmin 500/295 to use manually the given waypoints in FSC, that works for named waypoints (VOR, NDB, INTERSECTIONS) but not for an user waypoints. My idea was, import of the given waypoints as user waypoints (no VOR, NDB, INT, SID, STAR, TRANS) in FSC, but it is okay, if you told me it is not possible