The simFlight Network Forums

Lost WideFS Connection to FSX Only

For well over a year, I have been running FS9 and FSX {on 2 separate partitions} networked to a second computer via an ethernet connection as an FS Support system with Wide FS to run programmes such as Squawkbox, FlightSim Commander etc etc. During the last month I flew FS9 exclusively but today tried FSX. It ran correctly except that Wide FS would not connect. Fsx showed Wide Server waiting for clients and Wide Client showed waiting for a connection. A copy of the wide client log is as follows:

Date (dmy): 13/01/11, Time 17:40:06.640: Client name is JER

94 Attempting to connect now

110 Trying TCP/IP host "JER1" port 8002 ...

110 ... Okay, IP Address = 169.254.208.49

21172 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10060] Connection timed out

21172 Ready to try connection again

Repeated until I close dowm - note, the IP Address identified by the log is correct

So far I have checked the installation on both computers against the Wide FS manual, ensured all firewalls etc are turned off, reinstalled my windows network, and checked that all necessary files are shared and can be seen and opened in Network Places.

All to no avail. But Wide FS/FS9 still works perfectly! On the other hand, I have also lost the FSX Simconnect connection between the two computers!

So it seems to be something blocking the client computer seeing FSX - with either Wide FS or SimConnect - but nothing else!

Not sure where to look next so v grateful for any suggestions

John R

So far I have checked the installation on both computers against the Wide FS manual, ensured all firewalls etc are turned off, reinstalled my windows network, and checked that all necessary files are shared and can be seen and opened in Network Places.

All to no avail. But Wide FS/FS9 still works perfectly! On the other hand, I have also lost the FSX Simconnect connection between the two computers!

Sounds suspiciously like you've got port 8002 in use by something else, maybe SimConnect? Check the SimConnect.xml file on the FS PC and the SimConnect.cfg on your client.

Regards

Pete

Pete,

Many thanks for your prompt help as always.

Ports were all correct with no conflicts. I eventually went for any changes I had made over the last few weeks and un-installed a couple of programmes I had tried. I then un-installed MSE from both systems (which I had swopped for AVG Free as the latter seemed to be growing with every update) - no change. I then reinstalled MSE to search on line for solutions but carefully made sure that both firewalls were off. The first option I tried after this - "voila" Wide FS connected immediately and after a couple of tweaks simconnect was also back on line.

In the end, I suspect that somehow a firewall had still been active on one of the systems - although I don't understand why it only affected FSX and not FS9?

An interesting 24 hours but we got there.

Best Wishes

John R

In the end, I suspect that somehow a firewall had still been active on one of the systems - although I don't understand why it only affected FSX and not FS9?

"Holes" in firewalls can be made for specific ports AND/OR specific programs. WideServer runs inside FS, so the program to be known to the firewall would be different between FS9.EXE and FSX.EXE.

Regards

Pete