The simFlight Network Forums

Editing airport names in STB 3

Martvl

I had not used my STB (2.3) for over a year, because I switched to Linux and X-Plane.

Now I'm back to Windows and FSX again.

I orderd STB 3 and that is running nicely.

In version 2 I could change airport names under settings. In version 3 this option is not there anymore.

Is there a reason for this?

In STB the full airport names from FSX are displayed and some of them are a bit loong.

Is there anything I can do in STB3?

Mart

Hi Mart,

What do you think of X-Plane 10? The screenshots look a lot more interesting than those of "Flight" right now.

In STB2, the airport names were created manually and we had very poor worldwide coverage, just providing those for the most common airports. The advantage of doing so is they could be edited.

STB3 introduced an enhanced airport database, and we have the facility to read the airport name from the AFD file. This gives a name to every airport in the world, and even new ones to FSX. However the casualty is we lost the direct editing facility in STB. If you wish to see a different name in STB, the thing to do now is to change the underlying AFD and recompile the airports database. Both FSX and STB should be showing the same name.

Simon

Hi Mart,

What do you think of X-Plane 10? The screenshots look a lot more interesting than those of "Flight" right now.

In STB2, the airport names were created manually and we had very poor worldwide coverage, just providing those for the most common airports. The advantage of doing so is they could be edited.

STB3 introduced an enhanced airport database, and we have the facility to read the airport name from the AFD file. This gives a name to every airport in the world, and even new ones to FSX. However the casualty is we lost the direct editing facility in STB. If you wish to see a different name in STB, the thing to do now is to change the underlying AFD and recompile the airports database. Both FSX and STB should be showing the same name.

Simon

Hi Simon,

I will have a look at de AFD file and see what I can do. It is not a big issue, but this loong names don't look real.

By the way, you did a good job. STB look realy good.

About X-Planes, I used the Linux version of X-planes 9.5

Well the scenery of X-Plane looks a bit dark but has very nice details. Installing the whole world cost about 70GB diskspace.

Standard all airports are without buildings. You need to download a lot of addons to make it look like real airports.

AI-traffic is possibable but very limited, totaly different from MSFS.

As soon as X-plane 10 is ready I will have a look again.

Mart