The simFlight Network Forums

No undercarriage - undercarriage found

GaryB

I think this is a problem with my FSX Settings

I am running My Traffic X 5.3a on FSX and Vista on a fairly old system. I have airliner AI set to 40% which gives me a nice amount of traffic with usable frame rates. I previously ran WOAI and with that the AI aircraft appeared white while at a distance and then the colours popped in. With MTX I am finding that most aircraft have no undercarriage - they just float, until you get quite close (say 200m). This is from the cockpit - if I go to spot view the undercarriage is there.

I am quite sure this is an FSX setting I need to change, but which one?

Thanks

Gary

I think this is a problem with my FSX Settings

I am running My Traffic X 5.3a on FSX and Vista on a fairly old system. I have airliner AI set to 40% which gives me a nice amount of traffic with usable frame rates. I previously ran WOAI and with that the AI aircraft appeared white while at a distance and then the colours popped in. With MTX I am finding that most aircraft have no undercarriage - they just float, until you get quite close (say 200m). This is from the cockpit - if I go to spot view the undercarriage is there.

I am quite sure this is an FSX setting I need to change, but which one?

Thanks

Gary

It is a property of the grafics driver. MyTraffic models are programmed so that the gears are no longer displayed as soon as the size of the tires on screen is <1.0 pixel. Grafic drivers only promote this value properly case they are set on "maximal quality" and the system has enough free ticks. Sometimes they cheat and switch to the lower resolution earlier to gain performance, espacially if you are running in full screen mode. If the Klingon you have to kill in the next 5 Milliseconds has a 5 pixel big wheel you are not expected to see in full screen.

With all video cards I had over the last years the optical quality of windowed mode was far better then in full screen, and I expect that you will see the gears until maybe 600m distance when they should get too small anyways. Changing grafics drivers settings can achieve this in most cases too.

If you have the feeling that one particular aircraft has this effect stronger than others, please report here again, the switching point had been shifted away on several models when updating from 5.3 to 5.3a - being aware that shifting this point by 10% means 20% more system load.

I'll have a play tonight - Its using 2D cockpit and with the aircraft in question filling about 1/4 of the view, so quite close. I'll report back....

No aircraft should be with any of the three gears if is bigger than 100 pixel, which is a bit above one inch, and without main gears if it is bigger than 60 pixel, which is below one inch size.

I chose My Traffic X because I thought the support looked good - looks like I won't be disappointed!

I have had a dig around and managed to solve the problem which was this line in my fsx config:

SmallPartRejectRadius=4.0

This was put there by the Bojote tuning tool on avsim so I have removed it and all is good.

Thanks for the help

Gary

Oops - spoke too soon. I'm still having some problems, but its much better - there must be something else in there I need to find....

I can assume this line had an impact on performance - but you explicitely told FSX not to display anything below 4 pixel size on screen. Since a typical aircraft tire has a diameter of order of 1% of aircraft length, you saw what that tool produced.

Still there may be a bit of tuning possible, and yes MyTraffic has these values on the edge to get the performance it has. Every of the three gears is a seperate draw call, so three gears three drawcalls, and the most important rule for an addon that coexists with other addons is to never require more than 500 drawcalls...

if you check out the simflight.com review of MTX 5.3 there is a picture near the end called fig 33 Heavy Iron collection where everything has an undercarriage, so its obviously my fsx setup (which I always knew really) - on my system only the nearest aircraft would have an undercarriage. I will carry on trying to find which setting I need to change - it sounds like SmallPartRejectRadius has a default of 2 and I have removed it, so I might try setting it to 1.0

I'll let you know in case it can help someone else!

if you check out the simflight.com review of MTX 5.3 there is a picture near the end called fig 33 Heavy Iron collection where everything has an undercarriage, so its obviously my fsx setup (which I always knew really) - on my system only the nearest aircraft would have an undercarriage. I will carry on trying to find which setting I need to change - it sounds like SmallPartRejectRadius has a default of 2 and I have removed it, so I might try setting it to 1.0

I'll let you know in case it can help someone else!

To my experiments the default is 1.0 - at least in windowed mode. With all OS, adapters and drivers and settings I tested optical quality is worse in full screen in every aspect - full screen is optimzed for ego shooters.

OK - I've completely deleted my FSX config and let FSX rebuild it. All of the AI aircraft now have undercarriages except for very distant ones as you described above (which I am happy with). I'll now try and retune my config, and then go and have some fun with MTX. It has already added copious traffic where with WOAI was empty or sparse before. I'm very happy with what I am seeing now.

I'd like to thank you for helping so promptly

Thanks Again

Gary

OK - I've completely deleted my FSX config and let FSX rebuild it. All of the AI aircraft now have undercarriages except for very distant ones as you described above (which I am happy with). I'll now try and retune my config, and then go and have some fun with MTX. It has already added copious traffic where with WOAI was empty or sparse before. I'm very happy with what I am seeing now.

I'd like to thank you for helping so promptly

Thanks Again

Gary

If you find some tunes that enhance the problem, please share this knowledge with me. My experience is that the default values FSX sets are well tuned, tuning only helps marginally in areas where performance really matters, like on O'Hare, and there is no tuning as powerful as a reasonable setting of the sliders. Most tuning recommendations are there to be able to maximize all sliders ( and undo this then again behind the scenes. I stopped editing any parameters two computers ago now.

I'm currently analying FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0. This avoids the typical FPS drop when using the FSX limiter, but you must also tune your sliders so you can hit your desired (locked) frame rate. If you cannot, you will be overrun by blurred texture.

The reason for doing this is the FSX frame rate limiter gives me the smoothest flight, far better than external limiters.

Simon

I'm currently analying FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0. This avoids the typical FPS drop when using the FSX limiter, but you must also tune your sliders so you can hit your desired (locked) frame rate. If you cannot, you will be overrun by blurred texture.

The reason for doing this is the FSX frame rate limiter gives me the smoothest flight, far better than external limiters.

Simon

With limited computer resources, we always have to balance between the amount of resources awarded to smooth grafics, and to the basic logic. With FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0 I would expect aircraft not to taxi to meaningful parkings, ATC to forget about aircraft on the taxi ways easily. Since that is what my users complain, I'm a friend of giving much CPU to the fiber system.

I have read this thread because I mentioned this about 3 weeks ago. I also have the modified "Fsx.cfg" file. From what I am understanding, I should allow FSX to rebuild and then I am faced with the original sacrifices of FSX but then I would not have the missing under-carriages? I am not that deep into the mechanics of all this. Is there 1 or 2 simple adjustent I could make that would help with this situation?

I have read this thread because I mentioned this about 3 weeks ago. I also have the modified "Fsx.cfg" file. From what I am understanding, I should allow FSX to rebuild and then I am faced with the original sacrifices of FSX but then I would not have the missing under-carriages? I am not that deep into the mechanics of all this. Is there 1 or 2 simple adjustent I could make that would help with this situation?

First thing I would recommend is that you make a good backup of the existing FSX.cfg - than you can easily give it a try, if it fails you can go back to where you are.

Secondly, you should not make any modifications to FSX.cfg other than through the FSX sliders unless you really know what you are doing, keep a proper protocol and are able to undo it. If you allow a third party tool to access it, all responsiblity of your FSX setup including all addons is with that third party. Addons are tested against FSX and its default settings, and may recommend some settings themselves, there is no way to support an addon if a third party fiddles around due to some personal preferences of its authors.