The simFlight Network Forums

something that's been bugging me.

diceflo

For a while now I have been dealing with a small issue, it's not a deal breaker but just an annoyance. I use follow ai to enjoy my STB and it works fine, much better than before thanks. The problem comes when I am sitting at an airport for example let's say jfk. I can see on the board all the flights going out of jfk but by the time I find a flight to follow the board updates and now I see the board for laguardia and if I select jfk from the pulldown, I can see jfk again but not more than 5 seconds pass and now I see newark departures. I think this is some sort of setting but I haven't found a place for it. Can you offer any suggestions?, thanks.

Sounds like you have "Auto Select Closest Airport" checked. In the Settings, take a look at the Board Control tab and you'll find it at bottom right.

Follow AI is implemented by moving the user aircraft to keep the AI in the "reality bubble", hence the nearest airport will change from time to time.

Simon

Is there a setting that lets me adjust the update time because now it's about 3 seconds. I like the auto select next airport because when I make a long flight, I like to see what airports are underneath me and it's one of the new features that I like. Should I use shadow ai instead, I never know which one will let me follow the plane from start to finish. Thanks again.

Is there a setting that lets me adjust the update time because now it's about 3 seconds. I like the auto select next airport because when I make a long flight, I like to see what airports are underneath me and it's one of the new features that I like. Should I use shadow ai instead, I never know which one will let me follow the plane from start to finish. Thanks again.

It should check and change if necessary every 15 seconds. Double check this by waiting for it to change, quickly select some other airport then time how long it takes to change back. As other things happen as part of the "15 second check", it is not possible to indivudally control the interval.

Follow AI is the best method to watch an AI plane from start to finish. Shadow AI will work and bring new camera angles, but may also induce stutters due to the way FSX is designed.

Simon

ok, I will check. Is it then recommended to unselect the nearest airport while looking on the ground for a flight to watch and then check it again when it's in the air so I can see the cities underneath me? I think that is probably the way to do it. Also do I have to compile the airports everytime I add something in, meaning sceneries, afcad, ai planes and stuff like that. Thanks again.

ok, I will check. Is it then recommended to unselect the nearest airport while looking on the ground for a flight to watch and then check it again when it's in the air so I can see the cities underneath me? I think that is probably the way to do it. Also do I have to compile the airports everytime I add something in, meaning sceneries, afcad, ai planes and stuff like that. Thanks again.

The nearest airport is always with respect to the user aircraft no matter which AI you might be looking at (including View AI and Follow AI Commands). The twist is "Shadow AI" that puts the user aircraft in the middle of the AI. Of course, you really need something like the "Flying-W Invisible Aircraft" as your user aircraft to make it look right. Nearest airport makes sense from the AI perspective during Shadow AI, as both places occupy the same space. It makes less sense in the others when the positions are different.

There are two considerations when making scenery library changes (meaning in FSX and to the files themselves):

1) If you change something about an airport, i.e. the AFD/AFCAD, you should do "Make Runways" (makerwys) then compile airport database.

2) If you change something about an AI aircraft configuration or schedule, just compile airport database.

You don't have to do these things, STB will work quite happily with old data. Just depends on the level of accuracy you require.

Simon

Ok, last question I promise. If the nearest selected airport is the one closest to the plane, then why do I see the different area airports when the plane is parked at the selected airport? It's not moving, so I shouldn't see departures at the other airports unless I select that particular airport.

Ok, last question I promise. If the nearest selected airport is the one closest to the plane, then why do I see the different area airports when the plane is parked at the selected airport? It's not moving, so I shouldn't see departures at the other airports unless I select that particular airport.

It depends on what you were doing at the time. If using "Follow AI", the user aircraft is constantly moved to be 10 miles behind the AI at 180 degrees to it. That can cover a lot of different "nearest" airports. When you return to base, you are parked again.

ok, I never knew I was being placed 10 miles away from where I am. It does make sense because sometimes when I hit user aircraft, I am in the middle of nowhere

It depends on what you were doing at the time. If using "Follow AI", the user aircraft is constantly moved to be 10 miles behind the AI at 180 degrees to it. That can cover a lot of different "nearest" airports. When you return to base, you are parked again.