The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC & the iFly 737NG

I am having issues with the AutoThrottle on the iFly 737NG and have been told that I need to delete the fsuipc.ini file and have fsuipc automatically recreate a new one when FS9 is started the next time. Is anyone else having these issues? I am leery of doing so as I just got all of my sensitivities, etc setup correctly. ARGH!!!

John

I am having issues with the AutoThrottle on the iFly 737NG and have been told that I need to delete the fsuipc.ini file and have fsuipc automatically recreate a new one when FS9 is started the next time.

Strange. Why can't they just tell you what setting is wrong? Making FSUIPC revert to doing nothing is a bit drastic!

It they intercept the throttle controls it may simply be a matter or not assigning them in FSUIPC to go "direct to FSUIPC calibration", but via FS instead. The other possibile change is the THROTTLEn_SET option on the 4 throttles calibration page - they might need that switching to the opposite of what you have.

At the worst I can only think that their aircraft can't handle throttles calibrated with reverse zones.

Regards

Pete

When I get a chance I will remove the assignments for the throttles and use FS9 assignments for throttles only.

You can still do that in FSUIPC -- assign to FS controls. Maybe you can't calibrate in FSUIPC because that possibly takes a bit of the control away from the aircraft. You can always make that arrangement aircraft-specific to the iFly737, though, which you can't do in FS. And you have to take care if you have some things assigned in both FS and FSUIPC that you don't get duplicate assignments -- FS is fond of re-assigning things for you.

What I don't understand is why the problem you are talking about isn't a general one which has been asked and answered many times before. Is the iFly737 such a rarely used aircraft that no one else has seen such a problem before? It doesn't make sense.

Regards

Pete

What I don't understand is why the problem you are talking about isn't a general one which has been asked and answered many times before. Is the iFly737 such a rarely used aircraft that no one else has seen such a problem before? It doesn't make sense.

Regards

Pete

There answer is to delete the fsuipc.ini file and have it rebuild when FS9 restarts. Not really what I am wanting to do with all the work programming my axis and switches. :angry:

I should get a chance to work with it tonight. Before completely removing the throttle assignments, I will try changing to "send to FS as normal axis". We'll see what happens.

Thanks for you help Pete,

John

There answer is to delete the fsuipc.ini file and have it rebuild when FS9 restarts.

So you said -- and would you then assume that they get lots of these and say the same to everyone. As far as I recall, you're the first one to query it here. It just seems so unlikely that if it were a general problem it wouldn't have cropped up here before. And if it cropped up a lot you'd think they'd have worked out some better advice by now.

Regards

Pete

Ok, so here is what I did. I removed the 2 throttle axis from FSUIPC and am using FS9 for throttle control. Now the question is why am I having to do this in order to get the AT's to work correctly. All of the other payware planes (PMDG 737 & 747, PSS 757, LevelD 767 and Wilco 737 & Airbus) that I have aren't affected by the FSUIPC bug. What can possibly be happening with the throttles that would keep them from working correctly when using calibration through the FSUIPC program? Very frustrating that it is affecting only this airplane.

John

Ok, so here is what I did. I removed the 2 throttle axis from FSUIPC and am using FS9 for throttle control. Now the question is why am I having to do this in order to get the AT's to work correctly. All of the other payware planes (PMDG 737 & 747, PSS 757, LevelD 767 and Wilco 737 & Airbus) that I have aren't affected by the FSUIPC bug. What can possibly be happening with the throttles that would keep them from working correctly when using calibration through the FSUIPC program? Very frustrating that it is affecting only this airplane.

What "FSUIPC bug"? There is no bug that I know of. Why refer to such?

First off, why are you assigning in FSUIPC? Is there a good reason? FSUIPC assignment was added to provide more flexibility, changing assignments for different aircraft and so on.

Second, if you assign in FSUIPC to the FS axes -- AXIS THROTTLE1 SET and AXIS THROTTLE2 SET, then this is effectively the same, exactly the same, as assigning in FS itself, except you bypass things like the sensitivity and null zone sliders. But this gives you back the option of having different assignments for different aircraft, which you cannot for throttles if you assign in FS.

The only possible reason you have to use the FS controls for throttle for this particular aircraft is that it intercepts those controls and processes them. If you assign in FSUIPC "direct to calibration" then they won't be able to see them. Additionally, no matter where you assign them, FS or FSUIPC, if you calibrate them in FSUIPC the controls will normally be converted to the older THROTTLEn SET controls (as these provide a reverse range, whilst the newer AXIS THROTTLE controls don't).

Now in the current versions of FSUIPC there is an option to calibrate with the NRZ option ("No Reverse Zone") selected on the calibration tab. That removes the reverse zone but still uses the THROTTLEn_SET controls. What might be needed in your case is for the original AXIS THROTTLEn SET controls to be used. There's an INI file option for that -- check out "UseAxisControlForNRZ" in the Advanced Users manual. You should try setting it to 'Yes'. It goes in the relevant JoystickCalibrations section. Remember also to calibrate with NRZ selected.

All this can be aircraft-specific.

Regards

Pete

What "FSUIPC bug"? There is no bug that I know of. Why refer to such?

My bad calling it a "BUG". That is not the case and I shouldn't have used that term. I changed to FSUIPC settings so that I could "fine tune" sensitivities and such. I was having issues with FS9 changing the null zone and sensitivities. It has been working out real well until the iFly 737 came along. I don't use the Reverse Range as I have my Saitek throttles calibrated so that when I pull the throttle back, it activates the decrease throttle command which puts the engine in reverse thrust.

John

My bad calling it a "BUG". That is not the case and I shouldn't have used that term. I changed to FSUIPC settings so that I could "fine tune" sensitivities and such. I was having issues with FS9 changing the null zone and sensitivities. It has been working out real well until the iFly 737 came along. I don't use the Reverse Range as I have my Saitek throttles calibrated so that when I pull the throttle back, it activates the decrease throttle command which puts the engine in reverse thrust.

So, set that parameter I mentioned to 'Yes', try assigning in FSUIPC but to the Axis controls as I suggested, and ensure "NRZ" is selected on the 4 throttles tab. If you hadn't done this already you'd need to recalibrate.

Regards

Pete

Pete,

I tried your above fixes without any results. I went ahead and deleted the fsuipc.ini file and started from scratch. I assigned all axis and buttons like I had before with the exception of the throttle controls. I then went in and reassigned the F1-F4 keyboard keys for throttle like the default simulator is setup. Everything worked fine in regards to the auto throttle.

Looking at my old fsuipc.ini file, one of the guys noticed the discrepancy:

Throttle1=-16384,-512,512,16256/32

Throttle2=-16384,-512,512,16383/32

His thoughts were the values for 1 & 2 should be the same. I haven't had any problems with my other payware aircraft so I didn't know if that would affect the iFly 737 or not. The same comment has been placed on their forums as well.

Thanks for all of the help,

John

I tried your above fixes without any results.

You must have had something else wrong, then, because I'm pretty sure that's all that can be needed -- you are the only one reporting here with a problem like this which isn't solved immediately by such steps.

Looking at my old fsuipc.ini file, one of the guys noticed the discrepancy:

Throttle1=-16384,-512,512,16256/32

Throttle2=-16384,-512,512,16383/32

His thoughts were the values for 1 & 2 should be the same.

No, they certainly need not be the same unless both levers were identical in their electrical response. The whole point of calibration is to deal with such variations.

Anyway, except for the max value set for Throttle1, those values are all either default or idealistic values. Values like that are NEVER really 100% applicable to any real world axis. It shows, in fact, that you never actually properly calibrated them!

If you do not want to calibrate them, following the instructions in the User Guide, there is really little point in using FSUIPC for axes at all.

It is unwise to leave the minimum and maximum values to -16384 and +16383, with no zones beyond either extreme, as it means you cannot always actually attain the FS extreme values because the input from the hardware will not always reach those values. All analogue hardware varies slightly with voltages, temperature and humidity. The ennumerated steps for calibration outlined in the FSUIPC user guide are meant to be followed to give you the best possible reliable results and include the instructions to leave small areas at either extreme.

With NRZ use, as here, the minimum value should certainly be well above -16384 to ensure you can always reach idle.

Regards

Pete

• 1 year later...

Hi , i need your help!

i installed the first time and everything went good XD i installed in the fs9 folder but i had i copy of my original fsuicp.. so i just had to copy and paste and overwriite the new one

now for other problems i had to disinstall and reinstall the ifly 737 but the instruments doesnt work!! please help XD