The simFlight Network Forums

Auto Shutdown

Kelvyn

Hello,

Is there a way to set or implement an Auto Shutdown or Auto Close for the Data Server? Anytime I exit the simulation the STB DS still running and if I'm to re-launch the simulator once more then third party apps that use SimConnect won't connect. So I have to close the simulation, and close STB DS and then launch again the simulation so STB DS can be started automatically (fresh) and then third party add-ons (network setup) would then work.

Hopefully you guys can implement a feature which allows STB DS to close automatically after the simulation ends.

Thanks

This is an intersting one to investigate. STB-DS is completely standalone from FSX, all FSX does is start it and then forget about it. For STB-DS to close down with FSX, we would have to connect to FSX so it can notify us. That's not an impossible thing to do, but first I'd like to understand the scenario of other apps not being able to connect. Can you name all that cannot connect, and I will see if I have any of them to reproduce the problem? Otherwise these apps can connect to FSX first time, it's just after an FSX exit and restart there are problems?

Simon

This is an intersting one to investigate. STB-DS is completely standalone from FSX, all FSX does is start it and then forget about it. For STB-DS to close down with FSX, we would have to connect to FSX so it can notify us. That's not an impossible thing to do, but first I'd like to understand the scenario of other apps not being able to connect. Can you name all that cannot connect, and I will see if I have any of them to reproduce the problem? Otherwise these apps can connect to FSX first time, it's just after an FSX exit and restart there are problems?

Simon

Simon,

Active Sky Evolution will be the main core application that fails to connect. I developed another SimConnect based app and it also fails to connect until I stop STB-DS and start FSX so it can start a "fresh" STB-DS process. I've also used the SimConnect Sample apps placed on the SDK and they failed to connect too.

In response to the second comment... I tried closing FSX and reopening it without closing STB-DB and it unfortunately still exhibits the same behavior during my troubleshooting phase. :)

So in summary, if you have ASE and/or FSX SDK Samples then you'll have plenty of apps to give it a shot. Hope you can reproduce it. The key to this is to Open FSX for the first time which starts the STB-DS and then do some flying or just close it and then next time you start FSX, then you'll hopefully see that ASE and/or any other SimConnect Sample app will fail to connect, even though it might say "Connected" it fails to receive/send data. By the way... I'm using STB-DS v3.1.1.0. Let me know if there's any other info I can provide.

Thanks

Kelvyn

I could reproduce the problem as you described. To help build the case, please try the following alternate scenario and report back.

1) In STB-DS, uncheck "Autostart with FSX" and Apply Changes

2) Close STB-DS

3) Reboot, just to be sure

4) Start STB-DS manually from the start menu, bring it up out of the tray so you know it's running and keep it running.

5) Stop and Start FSX a few times and see if you end up with SimConnect problems.

In the above alternate scenario, the simconnect clients could reconnect now matter how many times I restarted. Early analysis suggests this may be something rather wierd with the way FSX starts other programs.

Simon

I could reproduce the problem as you described. To help build the case, please try the following alternate scenario and report back.

1) In STB-DS, uncheck "Autostart with FSX" and Apply Changes

2) Close STB-DS

3) Reboot, just to be sure

4) Start STB-DS manually from the start menu, bring it up out of the tray so you know it's running and keep it running.

5) Stop and Start FSX a few times and see if you end up with SimConnect problems.

In the above alternate scenario, the simconnect clients could reconnect now matter how many times I restarted. Early analysis suggests this may be something rather wierd with the way FSX starts other programs.

Simon

Simon,

Indeed... I've been able to validate that as long as the check for "Autostart with FSX" is not selected then I no longer experience the SimConnect issues.

For the time being the recommendation is NOT to auto start STB-DS with FSX. Instead, I had no troubles starting it with Windows by dropping a shortcut into the Windows Startup folder.

There is clearly something strange going on when started through FSX, but it's outside of my direct control. STB-DS does not use SimConnect, so why it should prevent other applications from doing so is strange to say the least and something we'll have to put down as an FSX feature.

In due course I'll investigate other solutions, including shutting down when FSX quits.

Simon

The way to fix this is to have STB-DS connect to FSX, so it can receive a signal when FSX shutdown (in the same way STB does). However in doing this yet another FSX feature is uncovered, that applications that can minimize to the tray do not work with SimConnect.

A design change is necessary, and we will discontinue the minimize to tray feature. Instead you will get a minimize to taskbar that is essentially the same. If you wish, the application will minimize on start up, and then may be recovered to the desktop by clicking it in the task bar as per anything else that is minimized.

These changes are currently in the testing phase, but I believe they will make a significant improvement to FSX connectivity.

Simon