The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC4 Menu duplication

Hello Pete,

When going into the "Buttons + Switches" tab and opening the "COntrol sent when button pressed" drop-down list,

I am seeing duplicate entries for many of the standard FSX controls. I'm not sure when this started happening

but I noticed it yesterday. I am running FSUIPC4, Version 4.661.

Here is a link to a composite screenshot that illustrates the issue in three different areas of the menu.

Duplication of entries

I've not seen anyone else report this during my daily visits to the forum so I thought I should bring it up.

Paul

When going into the "Buttons + Switches" tab and opening the "COntrol sent when button pressed" drop-down list,

I am seeing duplicate entries for many of the standard FSX controls. I'm not sure when this started happening

but I noticed it yesterday. I am running FSUIPC4, Version 4.661.

Well of the ones you mark as duplicate, the "elev trim dn" and "elev trim up" are evidently different, not the same. The others are a result of some existing controls which were originally missing in FS's tables yet still operational being added by FSUIPC. Then in one of the FSX updates I think they got re-instated. So the list is a composite of those in the CONTROLS.DLL list from Microsoft and those in FSUIPC's "additional;" list.

As far as I can recall this has happened since SP1 was released, though it might have been SP2.

I suppose when adding them to the list I could search right through to see if they're already there, but with several hundreds in the list and quite a few being added I would be worried about the noticeable delay every single time you drop the list down (these dialogue lists are generated "on the fly" and it is the Windows API for them which sorts them -- if it was me sorting I could obviously eliminate duplicates easily).

I may look to see if there's another way, like deleting duplicates from my add-on list during initialisation of FSUIPC, but meanwhile no one's noticed in several years and it actually does no harm. Those with identical names are in fact identical.

Thanks for pointing it out though. I may do something about it if it is easy and doesn't slow anything down.

[LATER]

On checking I see there is one-time code to eliminate the duplicates, but it didn't work. Interesting, because as far as I can tell it's always been like that. Anyway, it's fixed in the next update.

Regards

Pete

-SNIP-

Thanks for pointing it out though. I may do something about it if it is easy and doesn't slow anything down.

[LATER]

On checking I see there is one-time code to eliminate the duplicates, but it didn't work. Interesting, because as far as I can tell it's always been like that. Anyway, it's fixed in the next update.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete.

I'm surprised that I didn't see it before as I have spent a great deal of time making control assignments

via that menu system in the past. The only downside that I see from my perspective is the additional space in the

menu that the duplicates take up, resulting in more scrolling to get to an item far down in the list.

Paul

... more scrolling to get to an item far down in the list.

You do know that if you press a letter on the keyboard (or several, fast enough) after the list drops, Windows will move you to that position in the list? It's the method I always use to get to items, even if they are not that far down. It's the same Windows action as in Explorer, when you've sorted a file list into order you can do the same. Much faster than scrolling when you know roughly what you are looking for.

Regards

Pete

You do know that if you press a letter on the keyboard (or several, fast enough) after the list drops, Windows will move you to that position in the list? It's the method I always use to get to items, even if they are not that far down. It's the same Windows action as in Explorer, when you've sorted a file list into order you can do the same. Much faster than scrolling when you know roughly what you are looking for.

Regards

Pete

Aha....I didn't know that. Thanks for that tip,Pete!

Paul