The simFlight Network Forums

FSC9 and VATSIM Center Control zones problem

Murray_CYHZ

This only happens on VATSIM and not on IVAO. Two of my VA friends experience the same problem. I searched here but found no answers.

My spec:

i7-920 CPU

MSI x58 Pro-E

OCZ triple pack of RAM (6GB)

nVidia 8800GTX

Windows 7 Ultimate 64, FSX, FSC9, ASE, FSCARS (all running and up to date builds)

FSX and all addons installed to proper locations.

Here is the image to show the problem...

FSC9problem.jpg

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Murray

Hi Murray,

have you read the current manual, Chapter 18 Ivao and VATSIM flights, paragraph A note on VATSIM and IVAO airspaces.

Another problem is that we have no access to the data of the VATSIM airspace structure.

Regards,

Volker

Thank you Volker for your timely reply. Yes, I did read that but I was not completely sure that it pertained to the problem I am seeing.

To your second point: That's too bad. I just assumed since there are freeware programs out there that seem to have no problem displaying the VATSIM controlled airspaces (VatSpy for one) that a payware program (like FSC9) would be able to do the same. Can you explain in more detail why freeware programs can access the data and you can't?

Thanks!

Murray

Can you explain in more detail why freeware programs can access the data and you can't?

The data used by Vatspy/Servinfo is created specifically for each program by kind people who set up the lat/long co-ordinates for each airspace. There is no central Vatsim database of all airspace and its dimensions so there is nothing for FSC to access unfortunately.

I should imagine there is a way of defining all airspace for FSC but it would be a massive task for anyone to do, Vatspy for example relies on each country providing their own definitions in Vatspy format. Not everywhere has done this so quite often the airspace you see on Vatspy is not the area actually being controlled, as an example if a CTR is online then the default in Vatspy will be to light up the whole FIR, but that CTR may not be controlling the whole FIR.

... as an example if a CTR is online then the default in Vatspy will be to light up the whole FIR, but that CTR may not be controlling the whole FIR.

No problem... I would settle for that. It's much better than a "square box" that defines basically nothing! Don't you think? What do the rest of you out there think?

Murray

• 2 years later...

No problem... I would settle for that. It's much better than a "square box" that defines basically nothing! Don't you think? What do the rest of you out there think?

Murray

This also bothered me, I would prefer seeing the area hatched that CTR is controlling. I found a simple fix. My example is for Vatsim KZMA CTR. 

You need to locate your "fsc_vatsim.dat" file. Its located in FSC root folder "\FSC9\Database\Online". When you open your "fsc_vatsim.dat" file 

in notepad you will find all the ICAO codes Vatsim uses. Locate the ICAO you want to fix. I used KZMA in example below.

Example:

#KZMA::US:Miami:Center:27:-82

Since KZMA CTR controllers log in as MIA_3_CTR, MIA_10_CTR...etc and not KZMA_V_CTR it shows a square on map. I added colans and the first string of what KZMA use to log in.

Example:

#KZMA::US:Miami:Center:27:-82:MIA

Now KZMA control space lights up and no square. I used Servinfo to see what CTR controllers logged in as. For KZJX add :JAX, KZNY add :NY,KZBW add :BOS,etc,etc. You can also use whats shown inside the square. For KZMA inside the square read "MIA CTR"

I done this to all ICAO's that showed a square with no problems but use this info at your own risk. Of course you should make a backup copy of your "fsc_vatsim.dat" file.

Dan

Edited by Dan911

Sure, it might take a little more time since I have to wait for controllers to log in before able to see and fix, I have the US completed.  I enclosed a photo of UK, if Controllers LON_north, south, east, west log in it will enable the area (like servinfo and Vatspy). At the time of pic there was three logged in, the only problem when you left click with ctrl it randomly will give just 1 name and frequency, not all three. Without the FSC data base structure I don't know if its possible to see all three.

Dan

Pic1.jpg

Pic_2.jpg

**EDIT

At the corner of each pic you see a square, ZMO and LUUU. They were signed in as observers and FSC saw the as controllers.

Edited by Dan911