The simFlight Network Forums

5.2 (b)? - "Arrival" Traffic VASTLY Reduced?

hypersonic

Hi There,

Have yet to upgrade to the latest version, but will soon enough.. :-D

In the meantime though i recently performed a minor upgrade from 5.1x to 5.2 then applied patches a & b. thus am now on 5.2b

All seems to have gone perfectly, i DIDN'T perform an uninstall of 5.1x, (Should i have?) but the install of 5.2 seems to have worked properly, I saw the batch files deleting a lot of stuff before adding all the aircraft again etc..

Anyway.. I've noticed that whilst everything seems to be ok when running the sim. For example at EGLL, I see an airport FULL of varied aircraft & liveries on the ground & departing, just as before.

However i have observed the following compared to my old install:

1) When i run MyTraffic Board. Select EGLL (for example), I am seeing a MASSIVE DROP in the amount of Inbound 'arrival' aircraft (which is reflected if i watch the sim - i see NOTHING lining up)). - Monitoring 'Departures', the list is LONG as was always the case & is behaving normally i think,...

But the 'Arivals' list is tiny .. maybe only showing 10 aircraft at a time... with gaps as big as 10 15 or even over 20+ minutes between arrivals!!!

This is after leaving the sim for maybe 10 minutes even... This is HEATHROW!!! Prior to the upgrade, Arrivals almost matched Departures in 'busyness' & inbound flights appeared immediately after starting the sim ... This issue seems to be the SAME for ANY airport i watch or move to, large or small, not just Heathrow. Thus seems to be pervasive across the entire install!? When before the upgrade the inbound & outbound flights were far more balanced... BOTH very busy..

2) I have an AI traffic radar gauge installed in some of my cockpits.. Which used to show plenty of aircraft & track them to well over 100miles out..

Now, whilst I still see many aicraft, I'll be lucky if ANY are showing more than 80-90 miles out, & drop in tracking range of over 30 miles!

I haven't tweaked or touched anything since this install, this is vanilla, As WAS the previous version...

Any Ideas?

Many thanks

Al

OK so what gives?

I've performed a CAREFUL uninstall of 5.2, then a complete re-install (no patches at this stage)

Upon launching FSX (AI set to 90%) I choose EGLL (Heathrow) as a typical 'busy' airport.

As expected, the airport is full of aircraft, 'doing their thing' on the ground, getting ready, taxiing, departing etc.

Upon launching the Traffic Board & looking at 'arrivals' there are NO Planes what-so-ever!!! - After letting the sim run for 5 mins, just THREE inbound flights have appeared, but neither are scheduled for another 20 mins!!

PUT SIMPLY, WHERE are all the inbound arrival traffic!??? - It is sparce to non existant compared to Sleep/ departing or airbourne traffic heading to far destinations.

Version 5.1 was well balanced.

OK,

Interesting, after leaving the sim sometime of 4x speed, but allowing for an hour sim time to goy by, TrafficBoard DOES seem to show a build up of 'arrival' traffic, but it seems to be more measured & sparse to what 5.1 used to be.

Is this a deliberate tactic, in order to manage airport traffic, having more depart first, to avout over-filling?

Interesting to get the official word on how flow has been changed in this version?

Cheers

FSX has always taken a while to build up incoming traffic, as unlike departing and parked traffic, which just "appears" as the sim is loaded, it will take time for traffic drawn at the edges of the "generation circle" to actually reach the airport.

As far as I am aware, this has always been an issue - certainly with all the traffic I have ever used and made (which has been quite a few packages ;)).

Cheers,

Ian P.

True, it makes sence for MT to work that way..

But to see ZERO inbound' arrival' traffic at heathrow!? - When in the previous version, a fair amount of arrival traffic WAS there the moment the sim started.

There has definately been some change?

FSX has always taken a while to build up incoming traffic, as unlike departing and parked traffic, which just "appears" as the sim is loaded, it will take time for traffic drawn at the edges of the "generation circle" to actually reach the airport.

As far as I am aware, this has always been an issue - certainly with all the traffic I have ever used and made (which has been quite a few packages ;)).

Cheers,

Ian P.

True, it makes sence for MT to work that way..

But to see ZERO inbound' arrival' traffic at heathrow!? - When in the previous version, a fair amount of arrival traffic WAS there the moment the sim started.

There has definately been some change?

There has been no change, and it is nothing an AI traffic program could do. Every aircraft that leaves an airport has to land again at the same airport after some time, there is no way to generate single direction flights.

AI aircraft can be in the following states:

User: That are you

sleep, startup, clearance, pre taxi, push back, taxi out, takeoff 1, takeoff 2, enroute is the sequence the aircratf departure. This sequence that initiates immediately after startup of the scene.

For landing aircraft, the sequences are enroute, pattern, landing, roll out, taxi in, sleep. More usual world for pattern I think are final, since the change from enroute to pattern is approx when the wheels come out, landing is short final when the flaps are set. So a runway that is configured for landing in the ideal case can have one to 2 landings always, otherwise the aircraft have to make go arounds. Most of the approach the aircraft still are in enroute state.

When the scene initiates, all aircraft that should be in pattern or landing, rollout, taxi in state are put to the gates. All aircraft that are in enroute state, but should land shortly according to arrival date ( this I assume, is not documented) are put to the gates too. So, only aircraft that either should not yet have landed in 15? minutes, but already are then placed in by simulation, will go to pattern and landing state during the first 10-20 minutes of the scene. All aircraft that enter the reality bubble from outside are completely tracked and will go to pattern and landing, all of them. If the approach is from west, this will take about 20 minutes for aircraft from Ireland, and about 30 minutes for aircraft from Germany to actually touch down.

I made a visit to EGLL (again) and checked this to work properly. Indeed I used Heathrow to fine tune the average arrival rate( which is by definition the average departure rate ) to get the tuning numbers based on the requirement that after one hour of simulation the average turn around rate is below 25% for 100% AI traffic.

What I cannot comment about is how the traffic board defines "arriving flights", if I want to see what is inbound I use the traffic explorer from SDK, sort according to destination airport, and see all that is in the air.