The simFlight Network Forums

2 computers linked

Hi all can anyone help.

A friend told me to try this site for answers in trying to link to computers together. So here goes if anyone can help.

I run fsx and use 2 computers 1 computer is purely for fsx and the other is for external programs like FS BUILD, TOPCAT and IVAO(the eye) but i want the external programs to link with fsx via my 2nd computer. can this be done?

ive read up a little and worked out that i have to network my 2 pc. Is this right? i run 2 pc through a router so internet comes in and branches upto 7 ways.

Also what ive been told is look at wide fs. So what is this and how can it help?

I have to link also windows 7 and vista together and both pc needs internet access.

I am realy in the dark with this as i realy dont know what i have to do so can someone please give me a detailed explaination of what i have to do as im not realy clued up on this.

Look forward in anybodys responce

Kind regards

Dave

I run fsx and use 2 computers 1 computer is purely for fsx and the other is for external programs like FS BUILD, TOPCAT and IVAO(the eye) but i want the external programs to link with fsx via my 2nd computer. can this be done?

It depends on how those programs work, what they do and whether they use SimConnect or FSUIPC or neither.

ive read up a little and worked out that i have to network my 2 pc. Is this right? i run 2 pc through a router so internet comes in and branches upto 7 ways.

You'd certainly need the PCs linked together in a Network. else they can't talk to each other!

Also what ive been told is look at wide fs. So what is this and how can it help?

WideFS is just a way of extending the FSUIPC interface into FS to other PCs on a Network. It is useful for running programs on other PCs, but this will only work with WideFS if those programs use FSUIPC. Of the programs you mention, I don't know FSBuild or TopCAt, so I can't advise on those, but with IVAO the interface is via different programs, depending on which you use (Squawkbox or FSInn? -- no idea what "the eye" is). For FSX neither of them uses FSUIPC in any case, but I think they can be run on a client (networked) computer. You'd need to refer to their documentation for instructions. Every program has a different solution, different requirements.

Regards

Pete