The simFlight Network Forums

Question on "ShortAircraftNameOK"

I have read the advanced manual regarding tjis topic, and have set the variable to SubString in fsuipc.ini. I have several aircraft that have a common word in the "title" section of the aircraft.cfg, and would like to enter 1 set of axis and button settings for all the aircraft. At least, that's what I think this feature does.

So, the common word that I want to use- where do I enter that in the fsuipc.ini file? Do I need to create an "aircraft specific" setting in FSUIPC first, then go edit the name (presumably the entire title)to the common word in the .ini file where the aircrfat specific settings are listed? (I know the common word is contained in the title, but assuming that if I leave the entire title then every word becomes a "common word", which is not what I want).

Thanks, Bruce.

I have read the advanced manual regarding tjis topic, and have set the variable to SubString in fsuipc.ini. I have several aircraft that have a common word in the "title" section of the aircraft.cfg, and would like to enter 1 set of axis and button settings for all the aircraft. At least, that's what I think this feature does.

So, the common word that I want to use- where do I enter that in the fsuipc.ini file? Do I need to create an "aircraft specific" setting in FSUIPC first, then go edit the name (presumably the entire title)to the common word in the .ini file where the aircrfat specific settings are listed? (I know the common word is contained in the title, but assuming that if I leave the entire title then every word becomes a "common word", which is not what I want).

Thanks, Bruce.

Hello Bruce,

Yes, it sounds as though you should be using the "ShortAircraftNameOK=Substring " construct if the "common word"

you are using is not the very first word of the "title=" entries in all the aircraft.cfg files.

And yes, you can create an "aircraft specific" entry and do the edit as you noted above or you can just

go into your existing FSUIPC4.ini file and edit the appropriate "Axis", "JoystickCalibration", "Buttons"

and "Keys" section titles to contain only the common word (substring) that you wish to use.

Just remember that when using the "substring" construct, FSUIPC will match that word regardless of where

it occurs in any "title=" line of the aircraft.cfg files. So just insure it is unique to those aircraft

you wish to include in the aircraft specific category for those control assignments.

Paul

If you are just starting out then I definitely recommend you use profiles mode instead of aircraft specific mode, its easier to assign (just select your profile from a drop down list) and it cannot automatically assign itself to an aircraft you don't wish it to.

Thanks Paul and Andy, much appreciated.

Andy- I did start out using profiles, see my message of several days ago:

I would agree, looking at the documentation, that profiles are the answer that I'm really looking for- however I kept getting the "profile" checkbox grayed out (when it was checked), with a profile assigned- at the time I had 2 profiles created, one for single props an one for twin jets, and the grayed out checked check boxes appeared to be assigning the correct profile to various aircraft that I had not yet assigned profiles to, although I was getting the "twin jet" profile assigned to the MD11 (at least it was a jet, but I was going to re-assign my throttles for this a/c).

Thanks, Bruce.