The simFlight Network Forums

Closing programs in Wideserver 4.6

In FSUIPC 4.6 ini I can start programs for FSX by inserting.....

[Programs]

Run1=C:\IOCards\IOcard.exe

But I am at a loss to be able to actually turn the program off after I close FSX.

Anyone able to help with an answer, it would be much appreciated.

Regards............Brian W.

In FSUIPC 4.6 ini I can start programs for FSX by inserting.....

[Programs]

Run1=C:\IOCards\IOcard.exe

But I am at a loss to be able to actually turn the program off after I close FSX.

If you want to do this in FSUIPC, why is your thread entitled "closing programs in WideServer ..."?

I don't understand how you found out how to run programs without also seeing the options listed too. Please refer to the chapter in the FSUIPC4 Advanced Users document entitled

Programs: facilities to load and run additional programs

which is where you will find the [Programs] section of the INI file fully documented, including a list of option keywords wth two methods of closing programs described!

Pete

[Programs]

and can contain up to 16 requests to run other programs—up to 8 ―Run‖ parameters Run1 to Run8, and up to 8 ―RunIf‖ parameters, RunIf1 to RunIf8. Both sets are otherwise identical in format. The only difference is that the RunIf programs are not run if they appear to be already running. The ordinary ―Run‖ programs will be loaded without such checking.

The format is simply:

RunN=(Options,)<full pathname of program to be run>

or RunIfN=(Options,)<full pathname of program to be run>

where N runs from 1 to 8. Details of options are given below, but if none are required the parameter simplifies into just the full pathname.

For example: Run1=D:\RadarContact\RCV4.exe

might be used to run Radar Contact version 4.

If the program needs command-line parameters these can be included by enclosing the whole value in quotes, so that the space(s) needed don't cause problems. You may also need to include the quotes if the pathname includes spaces.

For example:

Run2="c:\epic\loadepic fs98jet"

The programs are loaded in order of the run number, 1–8. If a mixture of Run and RunIf parameters are given, the order is Run1, RunIf1, Run2, RunIf2, and so on.

The Options you can use are as follows:

HIDE tries to get the program to hide itself when it runs. This is only possible if the program defines its window to use default settings, so it isn‘t very useful for many programs, unfortunately.

HIGH runs the program at higher priority than FS. Use with care! Messing about with priorities doesn‘t work well in all circumstances, and FSX may not like it much.

CLOSE closes the program tidily (if possible) when FS is terminated.

KILL forcibly terminates the program, if possible, when FS is terminated.

LOW runs the program at IDLE priority. Depending on what the program does, this may actually effectively stop it until you direct user focus to it, as FS tends to soak up all Idle time.

READY delays loading and running the program until FS is up and ready to fly, and FSUIPC4 can supply valid data through its IPC interface. (This parameter may, of course, result in the programs being run in a different order to that specified by the Run number).

Of these really only CLOSE, KILL and READY are of general use. If you want to apply more than one option, list them separated by commas, but no spaces. For example:

RunIf1=READY,KILL,D:\FS2002\WeatherSet.exe

I do not see any statement of what you would place in The FSUIPC.INI file located in FSX Modules section which is I presume is called the WideServer section, to actually turn off the program in the main FSX computer when you actually terminate FSX.

However I do see an example of what to add if you need to start a program.

............Brian W.

I do not see any statement of what you would place in The FSUIPC.INI file located in FSX Modules section which is I presume is called the WideServer section ...

Why would you call the [Programs] section of the FSUIPC.INI file the "WideServer" section? It is the "Programs" section. The [WideServer] section is the WideServer section! That's what they have those names, to distinguish them! :unsure:

... to actually turn off the program in the main FSX computer when you actually terminate FSX.

What on Earth are these two lines talking about then?

Please, do actually read what you just extracted (completely unnecessarily I might add) from a document I not only wrote but still have copies of!

Pete

I am a commercial pilot that just happened to have built a full-sized flight simulator (A320) so perhaps my understanding skills are somewhat limited, for which I apologise.

I am referring to the following:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules..........FSUIPC4.ini.....:

............................................................................................................

[Programs]

Run1=C:\BAKUP-INSTALL\IOCards\iocard.exe

Run2=C:\BAKUP-INSTALL\OVERCLOCK\pmFBW46\pmFBW.exe

...........................................................................................................

My simple question is, is it possible to turn these 2 programs off, in the ini file of the wideserver ( as opposed to similar things done in the wideclient ini files.) when FSX is closed down.

OK the simple way of course, is to bloody-well turn them off individually by hand after I close FSX.

Silly me !!!!

.........................Brian W.

I am referring to the following:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules..........FSUIPC4.ini.....:

................................................................................. ...........................

[Programs]

Run1=C:\BAKUP-INSTALL\IOCards\iocard.exe

Run2=C:\BAKUP-INSTALL\OVERCLOCK\pmFBW46\pmFBW.exe

I know you are referring to the facility in FSUIPC to start programs, via the [Programs] section. That was obvious from the start.

My simple question is, is it possible to turn these 2 programs off, in the ini file of the wideserver ( as opposed to similar things done in the wideclient ini files.) when FSX is closed down.

OK the simple way of course, is to bloody-well turn them off individually by hand after I close FSX.

Silly me !!!!

Silly you is spot on, it seems, despite your attempt at sarcasm.

First off, it is certainly NOT possible using any INI file of WideServer, because there simply is NO separate INI file for WideServer, as the WideServer facility is part of FSUIPC and its initialisation parameters are in the [WideServer] section of the FSUIPC4.INI file, as already made patently clear if you'd bothered to read my last reply.

The running and closing of programs is handled by the [Programs] section of FSUIPC4.INI as you already know, not the [WideServer] section. I really cannot understand why you still obstinately refer to WideServer which has nothing whatsoever to do with anything you are asking about.

Of course it is possible to get FSUIPC to close the programs it starts via the parameters you give above, and that is by the use of one of the two keywords documented for you -- CLOSE or KILL -- which you seem to have a complete blind spot for, despite even showing me the part of the documentation which lists and describes them, and even despite the fact that I pointed them out to you with their actions described in BIG BOLD RED LETTERS in my last reply. Why not simply insert one of those keywords in your Run parameters as instructed in the documentation? In other words just like

[Programs]

Run1=CLOSE,C:\BAKUP-INSTALL\IOCards\iocard.exe

Run2=CLOSE,C:\BAKUP-INSTALL\OVERCLOCK\pmFBW46\pmFBW.exe

As discussed in the documentation, which I really recommend you actually read rather than simply paste parts of into your messages, the KILL parameter will do the job if CLOSE doesn't, but it is a bit more drastic.

This thread should be finished now. It is obviously futile giving you the answers, as you seem to refuse to recognise them even when presented to you on a plate! :roll:

Pete

[Programs]

Run1=CLOSE,C:\BAKUP-INSTALL\IOCards\iocard.exe

Run2=CLOSE,C:\BAKUP-INSTALL\OVERCLOCK\pmFBW46\pmFBW.exe

Well there it is !! That is precisely the answer I required in the first instance. I thank you.

Why you took so long and printed so much insulting and useless diatribe I am unsure, but I have to admit that is the worst reply and the most insulting I have ever seen, to a question about software..

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers................

........Brian W.

Well there it is !! That is precisely the answer I required in the first instance. I thank you.

And why on Earth could you not read how to do it in the first place?

Is it because my documentation is in English and not your native language? If not that, please explain why you didn't understand it so i can possibly improve it in a later edition. In other words, where it says:

The format is simply:

RunN=(Options,)<full pathname of program to be run>

then a few lines later:

The Options you can use are as follows:

How did you not consequently see the easy answer was to place a CLOSE, or KILL, in the (Options,) position as illustrated? In other words, what was causing this blindness to the answer even when I highlit the answers for you so explicitly and repeatedly?

Andplease also tell me why you kept insisting on referring to WideServer throughout, even when I expressly pointed out it was [Programs], nothing to do with WideServer? How did that confusion possible arise? I can see nothing in the program or documentation which could lead to such a muddle so I am concerned.

Why you took so long and printed so much insulting and useless diatribe I am unsure, but I have to admit that is the worst reply and the most insulting I have ever seen, to a question about software..

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers................

Ha ha! You fall back on that old nonsensical platitude even after certainly proving it totally incorrect? ;-)

If my documentation is insufficient -- though this is certainly a first for this very simple section -- then it will only get improved by folks pointing out the parts they don't understand, not simply ignoring it as you did and wanting everything done for them.

Pete