CowlFlaps1Control=0

CowlFlaps2Control=0

CowlFlaps3Control=0

CowlFlaps4Control=0

MaxSteerSpeed=60

[sounds]

Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Sound\

Device1=Primary Sound Driver

Device2=Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Device3=Speakers (SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio)

Device4=Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Device5=Realtek Digital Output(Optical) (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Device6=ASUS MS238-3 (2- NVIDIA High Definition Audio)

Device7=Digital Audio Interface (SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio)

[Axes]

ini:

I see in the log you are back to having both MIXTURE and MIXTURE1 assigned.

I think you are not actually finding the real INI file. Are you running Explore by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator"? Are you sure you are actually looking in the real modules folder of the actual FS9 installation you are running?

And did you try what I suggested at all, checking and re-establishing proper single assignments and calibrating? The variation causing what you call "spikes" are minor, just 1 point change in that assigned axis. If it were properly under control and a single assignment I think you'll be fine.

If you don't actually follow suggestions we won't get anywhere.

Pete

I think you are not actually finding the real INI file. Are you running Explore by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator"? Are you sure you are actually looking in the real modules folder of the actual FS9 installation you are running?

100% sure it is the real ini file. I right clicked explorer and selected Run as administrator. I am looking in the real modules folder of the actual FS9 installation that i am running.

If you don't actually follow suggestions we won't get anywhere

To be honest Pete, your instructions to me seem ambiguous, and English is not my first language. (try step by step instructions?)

And did you try what I suggested at all, checking and re-establishing proper single assignments and calibrating? The variation causing what you call "spikes" are minor, just 1 point change in that assigned axis. If it were properly under control and a single assignment I think you'll be fine.

If I am understanding you, you want me to go to the axis assignment tab and assign my quadrant levers to a single assignment each and then calibrate them? In which case, i have already done so and have had the same bad result.

Note: when deleting the axes, and re-assigning them again in the "axis assignment" tab, that when pushing/pulling the throttle on the quadrant, that FSUIPC reads it as "PropPitch2" in the first check box line. I had to manually adjust it to "throttle" (still on the same line, so that there is no dual assignment for one axis) .

The rest, I had to manually assign as well, as no automatic assignment popped up. All the axis have been assigned to have single assignments .

Regards

100% sure it is the real ini file. I right clicked explorer and selected Run as administrator. I am looking in the real modules folder of the actual FS9 installation that i am running.

And did you actually post the entire file? Almost each time you've posted it it seems a little different. The first time had the sections Joynmaes, General, JoystickCalibration, Axes ... and nothing else. The second time the Axes section was completely gone (you deleted it as requested) but there were then Buttons and another JoystickCalibration section specifically for the Cessna 172SP. This last time there were all those plus a sounds section AND the start of an Axes section! It looks like it is being truncated much of the time.

Perhaps rather that cut and paste haphazardly, could you plerase ZIP the entire file and email it to me at petedowson@btconnect.com.

The problem is, you see, that it really is not possible to match the Logs you are showing me to the INI file you are showing me.

To be honest Pete, your instructions to me seem ambiguous, and English is not my first language. (try step by step instructions?)

Why don't you say so, then, instead of ignoring suggestions?

Here, this is what i suggested, with each action numbered for you:

1. Please just go the the FSUIPC Options

2. Select the Axes tab

3. See what axis arises of its own accord.

4. If none, move each quadrant lever one by one, checking for residual assignments.

5. Press rescan after each.

Let me know exactly what you see.

Then I said "I think you'd be okay doing correct assignments and calibrations.".

I think the best bet for you now is this:

1. Delete the FSUIPC.INI and the PFCHID.INI files.

2. Run FS.

3. Go to FS's own Controls Assignments. If your quadrant axes are recognised there, assign them there.

(There's a chance for this because PFC did say they were going to add both routes to their USB sriver).

4. If they are not seen in FS, go to FSUIPC Axes and assign ONE FS control to each lever. Do NOT change anything else. Do NOT set "direct to FSUIPC calibration".

5. Now try them all in FS. Once happy they are working ...

6. ... Go to FSUIPC joystick calibration and calibrate them following the numbered steps in the FSUIPC User Guide.

Regards

Pete

plerase ZIP the entire file and email it to me at petedowson@btconnect.com.

You should have received it.

3. See what axis arises of its own accord.

After clicking the axis assignment tab, I see in the two boxes at the top - Joy# 1 | X Axis#

I pressed rescan

I then get- Joy# 0 | Y Axis#

Pressed rescan again

The boxes are empty now (tells me to "MOVE LEVER")

4. If none, move each quadrant lever one by one, checking for residual assignments.

Moved Carb Heat lever ( Joy# 17 | X Axis#) : no residual assignment (sent to FS as normal axis) options are not greyed out

Pressed rescan

Moved Throttle lever: (Joy# 17 | Z Axis#): It automatically assigns itself to only "PropPitch2" , and is sent direct to FSUIPC calibration (options are grayed out though)

Pressed rescan

Moved Mixture lever: (Joy# 17 | U Axis#) : no residual assignment. (sent to FS as normal axis) options are not greyed out

Then I said "I think you'd be okay doing correct assignments and calibrations.".

FYI:

Have left carb heat alone, and have not given it any assignment

Have changed the throttle's assignment of "PropPitch2" back to throttle

Have assigned the mixture lever to "Mixture"

Have calibrated the 2 levers which i have given assignments to. Throttle works perfectly. Mixture still has problems with the 'spiking' (even with the filter set)

---

I think the best bet for you now is this:

1. Delete the FSUIPC.INI and the PFCHID.INI files.

2. Run FS.

3. Go to FS's own Controls Assignments. If your quadrant axes are recognised there, assign them there.

(There's a chance for this because PFC did say they were going to add both routes to their USB sriver).

4. If they are not seen in FS, go to FSUIPC Axes and assign ONE FS control to each lever. Do NOT change anything else. Do NOT set "direct to FSUIPC calibration".

5. Now try them all in FS. Once happy they are working ...

6. ... Go to FSUIPC joystick calibration and calibrate them following the numbered steps in the FSUIPC User Guide.

Stuck at step 4. I can not set mixture to "mixture" or throttle to "throttle" as there is no option from the drop down menu from it--> ("Send to FS as a normal axis") This obviously means that I can not calibrate them too.

Kindest Regards,

Alexander Michael

You should have received it.

Yes. And that doesn't have the [Axes] heading at the end like the one you last posted here. I'm not understanding at all why its contents are changing so much each time you post one.

One thing I have noticed. In the calibrations:

LeftBrake=-16384,-16384

RightBrake=-16253,-16253

Rudder=-16380,-512,512,16380

Throttle=-16128,16383

Mixture=-14592,-10752

The LeftBrake and RightBrake calibration is set with the Maximum = minimum, so those won't be much good. The Rudder seems to still have default calibration, not anything set by human, and the Mixture calibration has a reasonable minimum but the maximum seems to be set to that 17% you keep seeing.

After clicking the axis assignment tab, I see in the two boxes at the top - Joy# 1 | X Axis#

Your Windows-defined joystick numbering is as follows:

0=PFC Cirrus II Pro

1=PFC USB Pedals 2

2=PFC Avionics Adaptor

So 1 X will be the rudder, which is evidently showing a little jitter to be picked up automatically. Was there any assignment shown?

I then get- Joy# 0 | Y Axis#

That must be the elevator on your yoke. Was there no assignment shown?

Moved Carb Heat lever ( Joy# 17 | X Axis#) : no residual assignment (sent to FS as normal axis) options are not greyed out

Good. Which options are you referring to as "not greyed out". Sorry, I am not seeing the significance.

Moved Throttle lever: (Joy# 17 | Z Axis#): It automatically assigns itself to only "PropPitch2" , and is sent direct to FSUIPC calibration (options are grayed out though)

Hmmm. This is where I don't understand it. There's something very very odd going on there.

When you say "options are grayed out though" what do you mean? What options?

Moved Mixture lever: (Joy# 17 | U Axis#) : no residual assignment. (sent to FS as normal axis) options are not greyed out

Okay.

Do you only have the three levers on that quadrant?

Have calibrated the 2 levers which i have given assignments to. Throttle works perfectly. Mixture still has problems with the 'spiking' (even with the filter set)

Don't use the filter. The "spiking" is not spiking. Your mixture calibration, as shown above, is setting 17% as the maximum!

I still believe, as I advised, that you should simply delete both INI files and start again. There's obviously been some mistakes made which result in bad calibrations and since you don't yet seem to have any feel for how to calibrate I think you should start off, again, and take it step by step.

Meanwhile I'll think about how that "Proppitch2" assignment can possibly be generated of its own accord. I may need to add extra logging and ask for some extra tests -- but in such a case I will ask you to save your INI files elsewhere whilst running them.

Stuck at step 4. I can not set mixture to "mixture" as there is no option from the drop down menu from it--> ("Send to FS as a normal axis")

Er. There are lots of FS mixture controls -- Axis mixture set, Axis mixture1 set,. etc to Axis mixture4 set, plus Mixture set, Mixture1 set through to Mixture4 set. The Axis mixture controls are the very same controls you would assign in FS itself, and the ones you've seen in the Log files you made earlier.

All FS controls are listed for you in the "List of FS controls" document installed in your Modules\FSUIPC Documents folder.

Regards

Pete

Okay, okay! I've managed to find the explanation for the odd automatic and incorrect assignments.

FSUIPC does actually make default assignments to the quadrant axes. It only does this if there are no user assignments -- once proper user assignments are made it doesn't override them.

The reason it only happened on one of your axes (17Z) was because at some stage the PFCHid driver was changed to set Quad axes only on joystick #17 but, to my shame, FSUIPC3 was not updated to match it!

FSUIPC4 was correctly updated. Obviously i had intended to also update FSUIPC3 but somehow it slipped through undone. I apologise for this. I think it was because it appeared no one was using PFC Hid in any case, judging by the complete lack of feedback I got. Evidently other things came to the foreground.

I failed to discover this, even though i have been testing with FSUIPC3 (not FSUIPC4) simply because my own assignments took precedence.

The original mapping for the 6 quadrant axes, together with their intended default assignments, was as follows (left to right):

Q1 = 16V -- Throttle and Throttle1

Q2 = 17R -- Throttle2

Q3 = 16U -- Prop and Prop1

Q4 = 17Z -- Prop2

Q5 = 16R -- Mixture and Mixture1

Q6 = 17Y -- Mixture2

As you can see, the default assignments were ideally suited to the full twin prop quadrant. However, in the updated PFCHID module the actual joystick axes set by the Quadrant are as follows:

Q1 = 17X your carb heat

Q2 = 17Y

Q3 = 17Z your throttle

Q4 = 17R

Q5 = 17U your mixture

Q6 = 17V

and thus your Throttle lever was auto-assigned to Prop2. Neither of your other levers were auto-assigned because they aren't auto-assigned in the incorrect un-updated FSUIPC3!

Conclusions

None of the above explain your so-called Mixture "spike". I feel sure this is down purely to that bad calibration. It isn't so much a spike as an upper limit of 17% being imposed by that calibration setting. So to get you "underway" I think you should simply either delete the entire FSUIPC.INI file and start again, or delete the Joystick Calibration sections, run FS, retain your newly set assignments (or make new ones -- you can even use the more efficient "direct to FSUIPC calibration" option, now we know it isn't that to blame for anything. But be sure to calibrate the three levers correctly following the numbered steps in the FSUIPC User Guide.

I cannot supply a corrected version of FSUIPC3 at this moment as I am part way through preparing the full user release 3.99. I am really very very glad to have had this auto-assignment problem identified so I can fix it before that Release. However, I'm sure you'll be okay with proper calibration. Please, however, do update to 3.99 when it becomes available.

Good flying!

Pete

So 1 X will be the rudder, which is evidently showing a little jitter to be picked up automatically. Was there any assignment shown?

Nope

That must be the elevator on your yoke. Was there no assignment shown?

No assignment shown

Good. Which options are you referring to as "not greyed out". Sorry, I am not seeing the significance.

The three options, where on top of them, it says "Type of action required" (Found in the Axis assignment tab, on the bottom left)

Do you only have the three levers on that quadrant?

Yes- Carb Heat, Throttle, Mixture. It is a vernier throttle quadrant.

Don't use the filter. The "spiking" is not spiking

Alright.

Your mixture calibration, as shown above, is setting 17% as the maximum!

Thats because when calibrating, the numbers constantly change in the "in and out" boxes- probably the reason to why 17% mixture is the maximum.

I still believe, as I advised, that you should simply delete both INI files and start again. There's obviously been some mistakes made which result in bad calibrations and since you don't yet seem to have any feel for how to calibrate I think you should start off, again, and take it step by step.

Have deleted both INI files, and will start again, step by step.

Er. There are lots of FS mixture controls -- Axis mixture set, Axis mixture1 set,. etc to Axis mixture4 set, plus Mixture set, Mixture1 set through to Mixture4 set. The Axis mixture controls are the very same controls you would assign in FS itself, and the ones you've seen in the Log files you made earlier.

So I would select "Axis mixture set" ? Where would I calibrate the assignment, if needed?

EXTRA INFO: Don't know if this will help, but when checking the "Joystick Calibration" tab, and move the arrow to "5 of 11: Separate prop pitch controls" ,there are numbers in the in and out boxes in both PropPitch2 and PropPitch1.

So I would select "Axis mixture set" ?

If you wanted the generic (i.e. all-engine) mixture control, yes.

The three options, where on top of them, it says "Type of action required" (Found in the Axis assignment tab, on the bottom left)

Those are always grayed out if there's an existing assignment. You cannot change the method for an assigned axis. You would have to remove the assignment (the check on the left of it) in order to do that.

Thats because when calibrating, the numbers constantly change in the "in and out" boxes- probably the reason to why 17% mixture is the maximum.

If the axes don't give stable enough inputs there is something seriously wrong with the hardware. Minor flickering, as shown in the logs, is okay and quite natural. Anything worse indicates something wrong -- bad connection, dirty pot, poor power supply. I can't fix that sort of thing by software. Filtering is a last resort (it was added for a chap in the jungle in Malaysia whose power supply was dreadful! ;-)

Where would I calibrate the assignment, if needed?

In the FSUIPC tab for joystick Calibrations. There's a whole chapter on it in the FSUIPC User Guide. It is the main reason most people buy FSUIPC.

Please see my previous message, evidently crossing with yours. Now we know what is going on you should be perfectly okay with "direct to FSUIPC" assignments, and that is more efficient. but ONLY calibrate the specific axis you want to use.

Regards

Pete

So to get you "underway" I think you should simply either delete the entire FSUIPC.INI file and start again, or delete the Joystick Calibration sections, run FS, retain your newly set assignments (or make new ones -- you can even use the more efficient "direct to FSUIPC calibration" option, now we know it isn't that to blame for anything. But be sure to calibrate the three levers correctly following the numbered steps in the FSUIPC User Guide.

Pete,

Thanks for all your help so far, but the problem still persists, and I assure you that I have done EXACTLY what you have told me to do- which were to:

Delete the entire FSUIPC.INI file, and start again

Give the levers ONE assignment each (am also using "direct FSUIPC calibration option" by the way)

Have calibrated the three levers correctly, following the steps in the FSUIPC user guide.

---

However:

What I am doing now, is cross checking what I can see, and am 'glad' to say that I think I might have found another problem.

When looking over "Separate Mixture controls", in the "Joystick Calibration" tab; I noticed that mixture 2 and mixture 1 had numbers in their in and out box. (as you suggested in your concluding post, because the default assignments were ideally suited for a full twin prop quadrant)

So just for the sake of curiosity, I assigned my mixture lever to "Mixture 2", and there was no fluctuation at all with the numbers in the "in" and "out" boxes for "Mixture 2" , unlike in the "in and out" boxes for "Mixture", and "Mixture1".

No fluctuation in the numbers also occured when I assigned my mixture lever to Mixtures 3 and 4..

Note that: (but I think I may have mentioned this before?) When lowering the flaps to each detent, it increases the percentage of how much mixture is being applied (e.g. from 17% mixture, to 20% mixture when flaps are lowered, and 17% mixture to 25% mixture, when the flaps are being raised)

I knew this by hovering the mouse over the mixture lever in the VC.

So the flap lever has 2 assignments??

--

Also note that I have deleted the FSUIPC.INI now, again, after my own investagation.

What do you think?

Kindest Regards,

Alexander Michael

Give the levers ONE assignment each (am also using "direct FSUIPC calibration option" by the way)

Have calibrated the three levers correctly, following the steps in the FSUIPC user guide.

Okay. Please send me the complete INI file again, then.

Note that: (but I think I may have mentioned this before?) When lowering the flaps to each detent, it increases the percentage of how much mixture is being applied (e.g. from 17% mixture, to 20% mixture when flaps are lowered, and 17% mixture to 25% mixture, when the flaps are being raised)

It is really weird that the flaps lever can have any affect at all, because all that does is send "flaps inc" or "flaps dec" controls -- exactly the same as pressing F7 or F6 on the keyboard. Does that do the same?

So the flap lever has 2 assignments??

Flaps inc and flaps dec, depending on which way you press it. Certainly nothing to do with any axis whatsoever. Just a button-type assignment. This is starting to sound like a hardware or firmware problem.

Also note that I have deleted the FSUIPC.INI now, again, after my own investagation.

So you can't sohw me the one referred to above?

Pete

Okay. Please send me the complete INI file again, then.

Okay, will send it as soon as I can.

It is really weird that the flaps lever can have any affect at all, because all that does is send "flaps inc" or "flaps dec" controls -- exactly the same as pressing F7 or F6 on the keyboard. Does that do the same?

F7 and F6 have no effect on the mixture at all.

I think the reason why it seems as it is a calibration problem with the mixture, is because the Numbers in the in and out boxes keep on changing by itself, distorting calibration. This distortion is probably coming from the flaps. Is this very likely to be firmware? Do i have to contact technical PFC support?

Also Pete, I am having problems calibrating my brakes with FSUIPC. I found out later that I could physically apply more right brake than left brake on the pedals. When I calibrated the brakes in FSUIPC, and then physically applied both differential braking at the same time in the game, I could not get the "brake" box at the lower left corner of the game simulation to appear. Only the "differential braking" box appeared. Is there anything i can do in FSUIPC to fix this?

Kindest Regards,

Alexander Michael

I think the reason why it seems as it is a calibration problem with the mixture, is because the Numbers in the in and out boxes keep on changing by itself, distorting calibration. This distortion is probably coming from the flaps. Is this very likely to be firmware? Do i have to contact technical PFC support?

It sounds like interference between components or chips inside the beast. I certainly think you need to contact PFC, yes.

To compare results here with the Cirrus Pro I've done exactly the same as you -- deleted my INI, checked the default assignments (which are wrong at present, as I have already explained), and assigned the Quadrant axes one at a time, and so on. I don't get any random fluctuation on any axes, they are all as steady as a rock. And certainly the flaps lever just does what it says.

Next week,, or even possibly over the weekend, I will Release 3.99 which fixes the default assignments, which should at least remove any chance of jitter on your three unused axes interfering with the used ones, but there's certainly nothing i can do regarding the weird flap switch interactions. And you shouldn't really be getting jitter in any case -- that's usually a result of a poor power subbly or varying temperatures or humidity. Sometimes dirt, but that manifests itself as jittery movement when actually using the controls, not when they are left alone.

Also Pete, I am having problems calibrating my brakes with FSUIPC. I found out later that I could physically apply more right brake than left brake on the pedals. When I calibrated the brakes in FSUIPC, and then physically applied both differential braking at the same time in the game, I could not get the "brake" box at the lower left corner of the game simulation to appear. Only the "differential braking" box appeared. Is there anything i can do in FSUIPC to fix this?

FS will show "differential braking" for even the smallest difference between left and right input values. It shouldn't matter as you don't look at that when braking -- you look at the runway or taxiway ahead and simply brake and steer to keep straight. Certainly if they are calibrated correctly you should have a dead zone at the brakes off end, so they don't come on when using the rudder only, and also a dead end beyond the maximum, so you can always reach maximum pressure. In the latter case, pressing fully on both left and right should give just "brakes" not "differential brakes" because both will be sending the same max braking value. If not you've set the maximum wrong in calibration.

I have FS set to show none of those unrealistic red messages on screen.

I have an older PFC rudder with digital toe brakes (i.e. not analogue -- they are either full on or full off), so I can't test with the Cirrus. And in any case they don't work as they are with the Cirrus because the connection (an older Game Port type D-connector), whilst plugging into the Cirrus, is not recognised. They did say they were going to tell me how to get over that, but nothing happened about it. As I don't use the console in any case it didn't really bother me.

[LATER]

Just looked at your INI file. I see the quadrant calibrations are better, but the brakes:

LeftBrake=-16380,16380

RightBrake=-16380,16380

are left at the default values, so you've not actually calibrated them yet?

Regards

Pete

• 1 year later...

Hi Pete

I have a PFC old serial port hardware with interfaces with Universal controller to the the computer using Windows XP.

Installed FSUIPS and PFC DLL drivers..

When I start the "Fly Now" in FSX it does the Following things:

1) Verify the PFC controller. On port Com1 all items are check green other than the last two items as show in the setup manual of PFC controls.

2) in the FSX flying mode I press "Alt" and under "Add-on" I select PFC.

3) Select "Twin Prop" based on our Quadrant selection.

4) After calibration all pass the test too in PFC window.

5) When we press "OK" and go back to flight mode, the PFC york, radar, Quadrants doet seem to work.

Hwo do we get the PFC control to respond in FSX.

We have activated the FSX software.

Do we need to activate the FSUIPC code too to get the PFC control to respond to FSX.

Any suggestion!!!!

PS: Don;t have a problem with using USB Saitek stick control in the FSX. Able to fly with Saitek but not with PFC controls.

Appreciate any help

5) When we press "OK" and go back to flight mode, the PFC york, radar, Quadrants doet seem to work.

Do you mean "does" or "doesn't"?

Hwo do we get the PFC control to respond in FSX.

The main control axes should be enabled on the "Flight Controls" page, and the quadrant is just assigned as instructed once enabled.

All is explained, with pictures, in the PFC DLL documentation. I've never had to explain it before so I think it is all covered there.

Do we need to activate the FSUIPC code too to get the PFC control to respond to FSX.

No.

Pete