The simFlight Network Forums

Airbus Vol 2 Throttle Nightmare

I do hope someone can help.

I have the latest registered version of FSUIPC and recently have gotten Wilcos Airbus Vol 2.

No matter what I do I cannot get my SAITEK throttles to work with it. I have try setting an Ignore axis in FSUICP but it seems to to save the settings. Even when it is still checked in aircraft specific I can still see the throttle putting an imput via the joystick calibration page.

Can anyone provide an idiots guide to getting the throttle axis working with this addon?

Many Thanks

I have the latest registered version of FSUIPC and recently have gotten Wilcos Airbus Vol 2.

Latest version? What is the version number? Is this version 3.98 or 4.60, or 3.989z or 4.669? You need to be more specific. I don't even know if this is for FS9 or FSX.

No matter what I do I cannot get my SAITEK throttles to work with it.

What are you trying to do with FSUIPC? Do the throttles work in FS with FS assignments? Do they work with other aircraft? Where does FSUIPC come into this?

I have try setting an Ignore axis in FSUICP but it seems to to save the settings.

Er .. ignore axis in the axis assignments page only ignores it so you can assign another axis when you have a troublesome one which jitters so much you can never see another. As soon as you exit that TAB the axis is not ignored.

Even when it is still checked in aircraft specific I can still see the throttle putting an imput via the joystick calibration page.

The calibration pages only show FS axis controls, not any specific joystick axes. For any joystick axis to show there it must be getting assigned somewhere. If you assign an axis to a calibratable control (whether in FS otr FSUIPC) you can calibrate it in FSUIPC if you like. You don't have to, but you can. If you want to calibrate it you press the "Set" button (so it changes to "Reset"), and if you have calibrated it but don't want to you simply press the "Reset" button and it changes back to "Set". When that left hand button says "Set", FSUIPC is not calibrating the control, it is not doing anything to it at all, it is merely showing you what values are being passed on to FS from your joystick assignment, wherever you have made it.

Can anyone provide an idiots guide to getting the throttle axis working with this addon?

Get your throttles working properly with default aircraft first. When you've done that -- and it doesn't matter how -- only THEN try an add-on aircraft. If normally assigned (in FS) throttles don't work with an add-on aircraft you must seek a fix, or at least an explanation, from the makers of the aircraft, because surely they should make aircraft which are usable with standard FS-accepted joystick controls.

If you have messed about in whatever unknown version of FSUIPC you have and are not sure what you've done, try deleting the FSUIPC (or FSUIPC4) INI file, so it loses all your settings, and starting again. Maybe something you've done earlier is now confusing you?

Regards

Pete

Latest version? What is the version number? Is this version 3.98 or 4.60, or 3.989z or 4.669? You need to be more specific. I don't even know if this is for FS9 or FSX.

What are you trying to do with FSUIPC? Do the throttles work in FS with FS assignments? Do they work with other aircraft? Where does FSUIPC come into this?

Er .. ignore axis in the axis assignments page only ignores it so you can assign another axis when you have a troublesome one which jitters so much you can never see another. As soon as you exit that TAB the axis is not ignored.

The calibration pages only show FS axis controls, not any specific joystick axes. For any joystick axis to show there it must be getting assigned somewhere. If you assign an axis to a calibratable control (whether in FS otr FSUIPC) you can calibrate it in FSUIPC if you like. You don't have to, but you can. If you want to calibrate it you press the "Set" button (so it changes to "Reset"), and if you have calibrated it but don't want to you simply press the "Reset" button and it changes back to "Set". When that left hand button says "Set", FSUIPC is not calibrating the control, it is not doing anything to it at all, it is merely showing you what values are being passed on to FS from your joystick assignment, wherever you have made it.

Get your throttles working properly with default aircraft first. When you've done that -- and it doesn't matter how -- only THEN try an add-on aircraft. If normally assigned (in FS) throttles don't work with an add-on aircraft you must seek a fix, or at least an explanation, from the makers of the aircraft, because surely they should make aircraft which are usable with standard FS-accepted joystick controls.

If you have messed about in whatever unknown version of FSUIPC you have and are not sure what you've done, try deleting the FSUIPC (or FSUIPC4) INI file, so it loses all your settings, and starting again. Maybe something you've done earlier is now confusing you?

Regards

Pete

Thanks for the quick reply Peter.

Sorry for not being specific.

This version is 4.60a and I am running FSX.

My throttle works with every other single aircraft I own (PMDG, Level D, Default, you name it). The issue with the Wilco Airbus as I understand it, is that it only recognises throttle input direct through FSX, and is designed to ignore any input from FSUIPC.

I am struggling to make this so. I have the throttle axis assigned via FSX, but even though I have tried unasigning it in FSUIPC i still get no response. They keyboard will move the throttle just not the hardware. In addition I have tried using a MS Sidewinder Joystick as well, again, works fine with all other addons, but not the Airbus.

Is there a setting I have missed (or what do I need to check to make sure that FSUIPC is not processing the throttle axis. I understand that this is an issue with a 3rd party aircraft, but I ask for advice here as apparently the fix is to make sure FSUIPC is not intercepting the input.

Thanks Again.

My throttle works with every other single aircraft I own (PMDG, Level D, Default, you name it). The issue with the Wilco Airbus as I understand it, is that it only recognises throttle input direct through FSX, and is designed to ignore any input from FSUIPC.

Hmmm. Did you not think to look at the other recent thread in this forum, entitled "Wico Airbus Throttles ", just about 10 entries below your new one? This is one advantage of Forums, that you can find answers already there. You only had to look a little.

As far as I know, at least as applicable to the (earlier?) Wilco Airbus A320 release for FSX, is that it simply needs straight-forward AXIS THROTTLEn SET assignments with the original range, -16k to +16k, all forward, no reverse zone.

You can achieve this by assignment to those controls either in FS or in FSUIPC. That's no problem. But in calibrating, you then need to select the NRZ (No reverse zone) option, AND you need the UseAxisControlsForNRZ=Yes parameter set in the appropriate [JoystickCalibration] section of the FSUIPC4.INI file. This is documented in the Advanced User's guide and it does explicitly mention the Wilco A320 -- you could have searched for it, as I just did.

I am struggling to make this so. I have the throttle axis assigned via FSX, but even though I have tried unasigning it in FSUIPC i still get no response.

If it isn't calibrated in FSUIPC and isn't assigned in FSUIPC, then something else is wrong with that aircraft and you need Wilco support, because FSUIPC isn't involved.

Is there a setting I have missed (or what do I need to check to make sure that FSUIPC is not processing the throttle axis.

If it isn't assigned in FSUIPC as "direct to FSUIPC", and isn't calibrated in FSUIPC, then FSUIPC is having nothing to do with it. If it is assigned to the standard AXIS THROTTLE controls then it is not terribly relevant whether it is assigned in FS or FSUIPC. It is still not processed in FSUIPC unless you have enabled its calibration, and i already told you that and how to turn it off.

I understand that this is an issue with a 3rd party aircraft, but I ask for advice here as apparently the fix is to make sure FSUIPC is not intercepting the input.

Well, I've given you what I am assured is the definitive fix, above, one specifically designed for the Wilco A320, but ignore that if you wish. Just don't calibrate in FSUIPC instead, as I've now said three times.

Regards

Pete

Peter,

Apologies for not responding earlier, I have been away from my PC, and did not have the chance to implement your suggestions.

I now have the issue fixed, and I thank you for your help and assistance.

However for me the solution was slightly different (from my understanding of the instructions at least) and I post them here in order to help anyone struggling.

I followed your suggestions (as I actually did in the previous post on the subject ;) ) but to no avail. Frustrated I even tried removing FSUIPC to see if that made a difference. To my surprise it did not. Even when mapped entirely through FSX I could not get a throttle response from the Wilco Airbus.

So as you see for whatever reason, simply unasigning the controls from FSUIPC had no effect. However as you rightly pointed out the issue was not with FSUIPC but rather the Wilco Airbus.

I played around further and found that by setting a control axis from the TQ to each individual engine I could get a response using the FSX contols menu.. That discovered I reinstalled FSUIPC and assigned the Throttle axis I wanted to use (just one control) via the Axis assignments followed by your suggested settings.

It works perfectly.

Why for whatever reason the Wilco Airbus ignores single throttle inputs assigned to mutiple throttles on my setup , I have no Idea. I trawled everywhere for any conflicts, nothing, perhaps just a peculiartiy with my system.

In anycase for me it was the issue that had stumped me, despite trying out all your reccomendations in this post and prior.

Thanks again for helping me get there, and like I say its just a heads up to others who may experiance the same problem

It works perfectly.

Seems a big deficiency in their design if you can only use the generic all-engine throttle even if you have multiple throttles.

Why for whatever reason the Wilco Airbus ignores single throttle inputs assigned to mutiple throttles on my setup , I have no Idea. I trawled everywhere for any conflicts, nothing, perhaps just a peculiartiy with my system.

I really do think you ought to report this on the Wilco support forum. Apart from help others there it might also elicit a response from Wilco?

Thanks for reporting on the fix you found, in any case. It is surprising how many folks do not.

Regards

Pete